OT: Get to know the posters

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I was raised in the middle TN area, and am a graduate of MTSU. My dad was a season ticket holder on Day 1. I went to Preds games in the early days, but through my childhood I was a bigger Titans fan with Mcnair, George, and their Super Bowl run. What hooked me on hockey and the Preds was a few things. I went to the 04 playoff games against DRW. For me, the only potentially comparable sports experience was the first spontaneous standing ovation that took place against the Blues I think in 2008. However, with the lockout, the momentum of my interest in the Preds stalled. It wasn't until we signed Paul Kariya that I became interested again. That was a marquee name that even as a casual fan got me excited. The start of the 05-06 season when the Preds went something like 9 straight games unbeaten is what really hooked me. That was my first year post high school and I had more time to go to games with my dad. Somehow I found this place, and this forum in general really accelerated my hockey knowledge. Simultaneously, my older brother asked me if I wanted to start playing hockey. I accepted and was a regular in the beer leagues at Centennial until around 2014. I'm still a huge fan, but not as obsessed as i was in my early to mid 20s. I lived and died hockey for awhile. I would play a beer league game at night, go to work with no sleep at 4am, and watch the Preds game at night, or help my dad coach a local HS team. Probably burnt myself out a bit lol, but I loved it.

For work, I was an Intelligence Analyst in the Air Force until an infection (non-COVID) turned into a chronic illness that over time greatly debilitated my quality of life. Currently, I'm working on treating and managing my condition.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Her mom tutored Russian and I met Flames Curt Bennett & another player (I can't remember who) at times because they were learning the language to understand the Russian players on ice.
Did you know that Curt Bennett was married to Susan Bennett, who is better known as the voice of Siri?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I did not know that, have not kept up with him or that sort of thing. Wonder how he deals with a wife who knows everything.;)
Well, they're divorced now so she probably doesn't know it all now, ha! They have a son who is grown. She still lives in Atlanta. She followed me on Twitter years ago, which was a surprise...but she's a Voice Over artist (obviously) and probably saw the animation and hockey interests.

The way she did the voice was she (and others) read phonemes, like ba, bay, beh etc for weeks. The company (I guess Apple but maybe it was an ad agency) selected the one they wanted and put them together into words. It has never been revealed who the actual Siri's voice is, but voice experts have done tests and are 99.99999% sure it's her and not someone else or a blend of the voices. So she markets herself as that.

This has been your trivia moment. Thank you for reading. Happy Thanksgiving, All!

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Lessee....uh...born and raised in extreme southwest Az. Border of California and Mexico. Moved to Chattanooga in my early 20s. Got into pro-hockey in mid 20s living in Ft Lauderdale. Buddy from BUF intro’d me to pro hockey watching FLA down there. Really dug watching Bure, Luongo and knew hockey was awesome watching Worrell just murder people.
Lived in Scotland for a couple years where I met and married a bonnie Scottish lass. We moved back to states and lived in south Alabama (Enterprise) before moving to Murfreesboro in 2008. Immediately started attending Preds games and became STH in 2010. New job opp had us move away to Louisiana in 2015 Last game was the WPG blowout when all the penalty boxes were standing room only. Came back to attend a SCF game. Miss the Bridge and my peeps in the best section 212!

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
As most of you know or have discovered through the COVID thread, I am an ear, nose and throat surgeon and lifelong resident of western Kentucky. Big time UK hoops fan, grew up rooting for the Big Red Machine, and until the gave Don Shula the bums rush to get Jimmie Johnson, I was a Miami fan in the NFL. Now I pull for the Titans but dont follow any sport other than hockey and college hoops very closely any more. Am also a proud Murray State Racer.

When the Preds came to Nashville, the extent of my hockey fandom consisted almost entirely of the 1980 Olympics. Then a friend told my ex-wife that we needed to take the kids to a Preds game. We went to a game vs Phoenix and the preds lost 6-1 but we all had a blast. Shortly thereafter, I found the ESPN hockey boards and started reading, and learning more about the game. Met PattyPred there along tulsytrid, and several other knowledgable folks. Bought a 1/4 ticket plan and started attending regularly. Found my way to the old NP boards and that's when my Preds buds became my social circle, despite living 100 miles away. Met and got to know 101st, 303, handtrick, Adzy, Capt Nerdo, Predperson, 9 inch fang, trigg, glennengineer, Slake, BFC, and a whole bunch of other good people who never made it over to these boards when the NP boards went kaput. My ex thought I was crazy to want to meet people that I talked to on the internet in person. Probably one of the reasons she is now my ex, lol.

Learned literally everything I know about hockey from the knowledgable posters on those NP boards.

Looked forward to the pregame meet and greet for warmups, was always good to catch up in person. Got divorced and was able to come more often and got a half season plan. When 303 had his box his generous invites to join him there were the highlight of my arena experience and for my kids as well. Got remarried and my wife and her son started coming to games with me and she got to know some of you as well.

Flash forward... she and I have two kids, and my son, the older of the two, has autism and wouldnt tolerate the arena experience, so in the last 7 years the only games I have been to in person were game 4 and 6 of the SCF, which I went to with my oldest son. I miss going to the games, but I miss seeing my old friends even more than I miss the hockey action. A whole lot of those people either never made it over here or have quit posting, and I miss them more than a middle aged man probably should. Nothing against you new folks, I enjoy the conversation and continue to learn, but it's just not the same...

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
I am a graduate of Gupton School of Mortuary in Nashville. I was a stick boy for the Dixie Flyers in 1965. My favorite player was George Knipleberg. I got to drive the Zamboni with George one time, thanks to winning the Eddie Shack look-a-like contest. I’ve been a huge fan ever since !

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am a graduate of Gupton School of Mortuary in Nashville. I was a stick boy for the Dixie Flyers in 1965. My favorite player was George Knipleberg. I got to drive the Zamboni with George one time, thanks to winning the Eddie Shack look-a-like contest. I’ve been a huge fan ever since !
I probably saw you there if you were riding the Zamboni between 1962 and 1964. We moved to Virginia so I wouldn't have seen your stick boy days.

@adsfan I liked your post and his so that's kind of giving @101st_fan another like, right?

Jul 12, 2007
I like to show how much of a Tootoo fan I am by always stopping the gas pump on $ 22.22. Sometimes you miss on the 22 cents, so I stop at 33. Shows that I also like Marc Moro.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I think my story of how the Preds became my favorite team might be the lamest, yet I don’t think many people can relate. My brother got NHL09 for Christmas because he was beginning with to get into hockey so I also started to begin to like it, but me being me wanting to be different I didn’t want to be a Panthers fan like my dad and brother. So, I was scrolling through all the teams and picked the coolest logo which ended up being the Nashville Predators. That decision though ended up being a really cool one. Because several years later, I was able to visit the city and it was easily one of the coolest moments of my life seeing the Preds live beat the Leafs 4-0, getting a Viktor Arvidsson bobble head :P, and just seeing the great city of Nashville. Hopefully I can go again some day, and probably eventually move up to the Tennessee area once I’m financially set.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Born in Hartsville TN raised in Macon Co. moved to Crossville when I married my wife. Through Genealogy I have discovered I am actually a descendant of some of the original settlers of Tennessee on both my paternal and maternal sides.
Here is a link to my Facebook page
William Kenneth Hall
I have 3 friends from Hartsville. Tracy Hubbard, Amy Turnbow Wyatt and Mary Carol

PredsfanJC

Feb 13, 2021
East Cobb, GA
I finally joined these boards after many years of reading them as a Thrashers fan being a Georgia native. I attended my first NHL game in Pittsburgh before they drafted Crosby, they were bad, but I realized how much I enjoyed the sport. My dad grew up on the Boston area playing hockey, so the sport has always been in my proximity. I quickly became a huge Thrashers fan after 2005 and it didn't take me long to understand how much ownership did not want or care about the team. It was very frustrating being a Thrashers fan. I was always a bit jealous of Nashville because the Atlanta fanbase got so much grief, but you just can't expect fans to support a trash ownership group. Long story short, after the Thrashers were moved to Winnipeg I started following two teams, Boston and Nashville. I follow Boston because that is the team my father likes, and my first cousin married David Krejci. So over the years I've gotten to hang out with him numerous times along with a few other players. Going to Boston games through the family entrance and hanging out in the family area with all the players after the game is a nice experience. Back to Nashville, great city, great fan base, well run organization, Atlanta is now in their market, I get all the games on tv or the Fox App, and I've been watching for several years now. I wish the preds had been able to beat Pittsburgh in 2017, but it was a great run none the less. Hopefully this years team gets on the right track, and I just ordered my first two preds jerseys. I look forward to reading and posting more to these boards. Cheers!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I finally joined these boards after many years of reading them as a Thrashers fan being a Georgia native. I attended my first NHL game in Pittsburgh before they drafted Crosby, they were bad, but I realized how much I enjoyed the sport. My dad grew up on the Boston area playing hockey, so the sport has always been in my proximity. I quickly became a huge Thrashers fan after 2005 and it didn't take me long to understand how much ownership did not want or care about the team. It was very frustrating being a Thrashers fan. I was always a bit jealous of Nashville because the Atlanta fanbase got so much grief, but you just can't expect fans to support a trash ownership group. Long story short, after the Thrashers were moved to Winnipeg I started following two teams, Boston and Nashville. I follow Boston because that is the team my father likes, and my first cousin married David Krejci. So over the years I've gotten to hang out with him numerous times along with a few other players. Going to Boston games through the family entrance and hanging out in the family area with all the players after the game is a nice experience. Back to Nashville, great city, great fan base, well run organization, Atlanta is now in their market, I get all the games on tv or the Fox App, and I've been watching for several years now. I wish the preds had been able to beat Pittsburgh in 2017, but it was a great run none the less. Hopefully this years team gets on the right track, and I just ordered my first two preds jerseys. I look forward to reading and posting more to these boards. Cheers!

Welcome to the HF Preds family!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad