OT: Get to know the posters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
All 3 of my kids play competitive hockey, so I will pass on saying too much about myself. It's a big forum and I'd be even more identifiable pretty quickly with even a few career/history details, and they don't need to hear anything about their dad's dumbass hockey messageboard posts. Moreso maybe on forums outside this one. I played until I was 18, well still do just recreationally with a small group at work, but any athletic genes my kids have came from mom's side of the family. Nobody else in my family is a Preds fan, so it will be nice if any further rivalry develops with the Stars, those games are extra fun. I don't really like going to live NHL games, though I will take my kids once a year to see the Stars. But past that as a special occasion, it's outside my price range. And I'm in rinks 10-15 times a week already as it is, I don't have that kind of time available even if I wanted to. Give it another 6 years until the kids are out of the house, then if I'm not dead maybe I'll be up for it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Born and raised in Murfreesboro. played college baseball at MTSU. Undergrad MTSU (European History, International Relations), graduate work at Georgetown (Soviet Studies), Memphis State (Finance). Retired Army Officer and retired Stockbroker (JC Bradford, Paine Webber, Hilliard Lyons). Original 1998 season ticket holder. Became a dedicated hockey fan following Gretzky's point streak in the 70's while i was overseas. Have attended over 1000 NHL games I guess. Was tasked with writing section 303's 'post game analysis' the first few years by good old Mark Hollinsworth, which is where the name came from. An Atlanta Brave fan (dad took me to the first opening night game in Atlanta in 1966 and I've been hooked ever since), Tennessee Vol fan for better or worse (because they are the university of Tennessee). Read some, but don't talk much anymore on here because I get frustrated with some, but will vent again when we actually start playing I imagine. Putting it down in words sometimes helps me to realize exactly what was good and what was bad in what I saw. Have come to know many good people on here over the years and I value those.
Did you play with Barry Vetter?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I was born and raised in Dayton, Ohio. It was a GM and an Air Force industrial manufacturing town. The Dayton Gems were an expansion team in the IHL in 1964. Back then, the hockey season started in November. I kind of grew up with the team. They were the lowest level affiliate for the Boston Bruins, so I followed them through the Bobby Orr years and two Stanley Cups in 1970 and 1972. The Gems won back to back Turner Cups in 1969 and 1970. Their coach was Larry Wilson. He is not related to Colin.

I grew up a Reds fan. They did very well in the 1970s, winning two World Series in a row, the only NL team to do that since the NY Giants in 1921 and 1922. I saw Pete Rose's 3000 hit. I also saw Hank Aaron's and Robin Yount's.

I played road hockey and pond hockey with my friends as a kid. My high school did not have a team, so I retired.

Hockey became too violent for my taste thanks to the Philly Flyers. Dayton's team won another Turner Cup in 1976 with Stan Jonathan on the team and then they went on suspension after 1977. Stan became famous when a fan in NYC grabbed his stick over the low glass and the Bruins went into the stands to get it back and whip some Rangers' fans butts. Mike Milbury beat a Rangers fan with his own shoe.

I went to college in Cincinnati, but never made it to a Stingers game. I missed out on seeing the WHA at all and Mark Messier, Robbie Ftorek, Mike Gartner, Rick Dudley and Mike Luit in particular. The Gems came back for the 1979-80 season and then folded.

I moved to Milwaukee in 1981 for grad school in Chemistry. They had a team in the IHL with red, white and blue uniforms, were high scoring and weren't afraid to fight. It was like the Gems followed me to Milwaukee! The Admirals lost in the 1983 Turner Cup finals to a Toledo team captained by Claude Noel, who would coach the Admirals to the 2004 Calder Cup win in the AHL. The Admirals were affiliated with Chicago for one awful season, Vancouver for a few years and in 1998, the expansion Nashville Predators.

I have been through Nashville a number of times. I have a daughter who lived in Montgomery for three years. I visited in early 2002 for my professional society's advanced leadership training at the Opryland Hotel. Part of it was going to the Wild Horse Saloon on a Friday night. I ended up doing some line dancing with this lady from Iran who also at the training. I had a hard time trying to explain the Minnie Pearl portrait at the Grand Ole Opry to her. That was nicer than walking past the National Guard carrying M-16s at the airport due to 9-11. I tried to find a Preds jersey in a few places and got a few funny looks from people. One guy downtown asked me if I didn't want a Titans jersey instead. He seemed surprised when I said "no"! My wife bought a Pekka Rinne jersey 5 or 6 years ago.

I drove down with my wife for a week during Easter of 2016 and saw Pekka Rinne give up 3 goals in the first period versus the Avalanche on a Tuesday night. Carter Hutton came on in relief and allowed 1 goal in two periods. Nashville came back but lost 4-3 in a thrilling finish. I bought a gold Nashville blanket during the second intermission and we carry it to some Admirals games when it gets cold (read that as being below zero F). We had plans to return last season but COVID-19 got in the way. I enjoyed the 2016 trip. We took the boat ride at the Opryland Hotel and ate at Jack's BBQ before the game. We got to see the conductor of the Nashville Symphony before a concert. Somebody at the side door asked if we wanted to come in for the talk and we said yes. I visited the State Capitol building (a hobby of mine) and I believe that I met the Attorney General by accident. Nice fellow who walked out of that office. Things like that make me feel like Forrest Gump. The most surprising parts of the trip were visiting the Johnny Cash Museum and the Parthenon in Centennial Park.

I used to be on the old AHL board which dissolved. I moved over here 12 years ago. I have been to over 1000 minor league games, several college hockey games including two Frozen Fours and 5 or 6 NHL games. I have also seen the US Olympic hockey team play a few exhibition games.

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I was born in Pennsylvania, but my family moved to the Nashville area when I was very young.

I was vaguely aware of the Preds from an early age since I have family members who play hockey, but I did not start seriously watching the Preds until my sister urged me to do so. That was during the early days of the 2014-2015 season, back when I was a freshman in college. Right now I am in graduate school.

The first game I can recall attending was Saros' first career NHL start against Buffalo. I have not attended many games in person because I have lived in other cities for most of the time I have been a fan.

I have only ever played street hockey, and I wish that I had started following the Preds earlier so I could have started skating early.

There aren't many good places to discuss the Preds on the internet, and when I first became a fan I spent a lot of time on the Predators subreddit. I eventually started lurking here, and then started commenting after a while. I think people on this board tend to be more realistic than most other Preds fans on social media (who tend to either be 100% optimism or 100% pessimism all the time), and I also like that people on here are more committed Preds fans. Forum-style websites like HFBoards are also much better for long-term discussions of prospects and team trends.

Also shoutout to the Ads fans here, I always really appreciate your input since serious Ads coverage is pretty tough to find online.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He came after me trig i think. the guy from shelbyville right, assistant coach at blackman right?. played with Steve Smith who the stadium is named after.
Barry Coached Smyrna for 25 years and now is the head coach at Blackman. He might be from Shelbyville. Fraiser is the assistant coach and I know he was from Shelbyville. I know Barry played at MTSU. He was there with McLaury who coaches Independence now.

you need to get back into coaching. This area could use more like you. Too many trophy hunters out there right now.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Well well well..

I was born in Erie, PA. Put on skates at the age of 3. My dad has worked for the following hockey teams:

Erie Panthers
Roanoke Valley Rebels
Huntsville Blast
Nashville Knights
Anchorage Aces
Dayton Bombers
Erie Otters

I played HS hockey for the Metro teams as LaVergne did not have a scholastic team. Played a little bit at MTSU but realized school was not for me and dropped out. I'm currently married with 2 daughters. I'm coaching the Blackman-Stewart's Creek-Smyrna high school team so if you know anyone at those schools that play and aren't on the team, we need em!

I have known a few of you for many, many years.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I grew up in Indianapolis. I vaguely remember the WHA Racers, who had Gretzky for a few weeks. Got seriously into hockey in college when ESPN was showing it and there were guys in my dorm who were fans. I was Flames fan in those days because of Joe Mullen and Joe Nieuwendyk. I was living in Chattanooga when the Preds were awarded. Went to one game to see the Flames and Preds play. Moved to Nashville in 2001 for nursing school.

The 2006-07 season, I bought a 20 game pack and playoff tickets. Bought my first season ticket during the save the team drive and have been ever since. I have sat in the same section 309. I have friends I chat with between periods. I miss my hockey family. My sister is a Canes fan and we try to see one game a season together.

I am a born and raised Bears fan but haven’t followed football closely for a long while. We were never baseball fans in my family. My undergrad degree is from Indiana University so I followed college BB for a while too.

I am a nurse practitioner in primary care, MSN from Vandy. I am Huge Tolkien fan along with Jane Austen. I am single and have 2 cats, Merry and Pippin. And one of my bucket goals is to see a game in every NHL arena.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Barry Coached Smyrna for 25 years and now is the head coach at Blackman. He might be from Shelbyville. Fraiser is the assistant coach and I know he was from Shelbyville. I know Barry played at MTSU. He was there with McLaury who coaches Independence now.

you need to get back into coaching. This area could use more like you. Too many trophy hunters out there right now.
Crazy how many Shelbyville people there are. Can't confirm those two names ( although heard of Vetter, might know Frazier if I knew the first name) but I know the current football coach at Smyrna, Matt Williams, is from Shelbyville. Grew up with him and his brother, his Dad was my baseball coach and was the AD at Shelbyville for years. Good family and his Dad was a heck of a baseball coach.

Reactions: triggrman

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.

coached for 15 years, that was enough with the way parents are lol

did you know Rabbit Victory who was an assistant coach at Smyrna for many years? Played little league, Babe Ruth and American Legion with him.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Crazy how many Shelbyville people there are. Can't confirm those two names ( although heard of Vetter, might know Frazier if I knew the first name) but I know the current football coach at Smyrna, Matt Williams, is from Shelbyville. Grew up with him and his brother, his Dad was my baseball coach and was the AD at Shelbyville for years. Good family and his Dad was a heck of a baseball coach.
Seth Doxey is from Shelbyville too. That’s my son’s favorite coach. He had a kid and wife wouldn’t let him do summer travel anymore. Awesome guy

303 I think I know him. He’s part of Leadoff Academy where Nick hits all the time.

edit, not him. Sorry don’t know him

Reactions: Pred303

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well well well..

I was born in Erie, PA. Put on skates at the age of 3. My dad has worked for the following hockey teams:

Erie Panthers
Roanoke Valley Rebels
Huntsville Blast
Nashville Knights
Anchorage Aces
Dayton Bombers
Erie Otters

I played HS hockey for the Metro teams as LaVergne did not have a scholastic team. Played a little bit at MTSU but realized school was not for me and dropped out. I'm currently married with 2 daughters. I'm coaching the Blackman-Stewart's Creek-Smyrna high school team so if you know anyone at those schools that play and aren't on the team, we need em!

I have known a few of you for many, many years.
Rusty’s kid plays for Blackman right?

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Hey guys I think I might be one of the only Preds fans coming from the old stomping grounds of our boy Trotsy! That’s right Winnipeg, Manitoba. Been a fan of the preds for around 10 years now, they were basically the first team I ever seriously followed and watched consistently and believe me I’ve gotten lots of questions as to why over the years. (I chalk it up to my peewee hockey team using a knock off of the preds logo) been to a few of our teams games out here when I could and I’m looking forward to someday making a trip out to Nashville catching a game in the home city once all this COVID crap dies down. If you guys ever see an article about a preds fan getting beaten up by a bunch of jets fans for cheering a little too hard it was probably me haha.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hello everyone, a Preds fan from Finland here. I'm 23-years old and right now I study in an University here in Finland and also work in a startup-business my friend founded a few years ago (we have our A funding round starting in 2021 so it's pretty much a make-or-break time for us).

I was born and raised in the same town as Rinne but moved away to another city to study a while ago. Needless to say, Rinne was the biggest reason I started following the Preds. I played hockey as a forward for 5-6 years, and one of my best friends played hockey as a goalie and he was a huge Rinne fan so it was natural for me also to start following him. When I first started following the NHL, I was a huge Ovechkin fanboy but after the process I just mentioned, through Rinne, I started to grow interest into the Predators and eventually started cheering for them.

Have never seen an NHL game live in the States but been a dream of mine for a few years to see game in person there. When they've played here in Finland in 2009, 2010, 2018, I've always been there. Hopefully, one day I'll get to see the Preds live in Nashville. Was pretty disappointed that COVID ruined the Preds-Bruins game scheduled in Prague this Fall.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Live in NE Tennessee west of Kingsport on a farm.

Introduced to hockey in Atlanta where as the high school yearbook photographer joined a Northside Neighbor newspaper photographer who wrangled 2 press passes to the 72 - 73 Flames and Hawks. Supposed to be a one game pass we managed to use them for a whole season whenever we wanted to go to games. Went early to the free press buffet and free Tuborg beer. Since I was just underage till after the season it was enjoyable! We split parking so for 75¢ each got full dinner, beer and either sitting on the boards for NBA or standing in the corners behind the glass (photographer hole) and even between the benches for NHL.

NBA was fun, sitting on the boards under the basket with players like Hawks Pistol Pete Maravich just feet away driving the net was quite an experience.

NHL was AMAZING and I was hooked. Had never seen a game in person till I walked out to the ice. Standing between the benches was intense, walking on the ice to get to that area was intimidating. Listening to the Flames coach, legendary Boom Boom Geoffrion yelling profanities with that French - Canadian accent was both hilarious and frightening from just feet away. Keep in mind I'm 17 years old, on what should have been a one time press pass after buffet and beer ... and at times no film in the camera or I was faking photos just so I could see NHL games. Pat Quinn was #3 and his mate was one of my favorites #7 Randy Manery.

A couple years or so later I was dating a Russian gal (Marina 'Masha' Ostrov) from Moscow I met at Ga State University. Her mom tutored Russian and I met Flames Curt Bennett & another player (I can't remember who) at times because they were learning the language to understand the Russian players on ice.

Left Atlanta to work for Cumberland Island National Seashore then ended up here on old family farm. Was a couple decades without seeing any hockey, it just wasn't regularly available on TV. Cable came to this rural area about the time Predators began so finally got to see some games, Preds and others.

Was on old NP message boards and when I found this one was glad 303 was here. His analysis made me a more informed fan and still does. If 303 wasn't here I doubt I'd have stuck around. Have made a few friends here.

Couple of happy Preds fans I met, we were beating Bruins 4 - 1 at the time (won 5 - 3).

ID your selves if you want. Was not my place so at this point you are just happy fans.

upload_2020-11-23_9-5-0.png

Edit, looking at that photo, people having great fun in a crowd, seems like an alternate universe. I want to be there.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Couple of happy Preds fans I met, we were beating Bruins 4 - 1 at the time (won 5 - 3).

ID your selves if you want. Was not my place so at this point you are just happy fans.

View attachment 377133

Edit, looking at that photo, people having great fun in a crowd, seems like an alternate universe. I want to be there.
That's me, Adzy, on the right!!!

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Born in Port Chester NY. Moved to the “poor side” of Greenwich CT when I was 8. Growing up 25 minutes from downtown Manhattan in the 60’s and 70’s made me a 4-sport pro fan (Mets, Jets, Nets, Islanders). Emulating Seaver, Namath, Dr. J., and Mike Bossy was pretty awesome. Little did I know back then my last world title would be 1986.

Moved to Hartford CT after graduating college and became a partial-season ticketholder for the Hartford Whalers. When Kyle plays Brass Bonanza, I still get goosebumps (goal song for The Whale). Got married to the daughter of Whaler fans, so she had it in her blood. We moved to Nashville in 1989 and entered sports fan hell. No pro sports and was dumb enough to adopt Vandy as my football / basketball teams. Became Day One STHers for both the Preds and the Titans.

Brought up 3 kids in Brentwood, all huge Pred fans since we brought them to games early and often. My oldest, Ally from Brentwood, led the way as the 13-year old post-game talk show regular on those drives home in the early years. Now have 4 grand-kids, and 7 seats in 318 so most of the family can all go to the games together, which we’ve done for many years.

I post sporadically during the season, mostly grasping for optimistic straws. I read the thread most every day and enjoy everyone, especially Pred303, when he’s into it. My wife and I do at least one, week-long road trip a year. Best ever was the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal trek several years ago right after the Subban trade.

Will go to my grave believing The Cup is a real possibility next year …. Every next year. Have the Night One puck from the first game, the Check Please CD, TooToo whistles, enough fan towels to make an huge blanket, the original large Pred banner from the rafters, and Tomas Vokoun’s Goalie stick. My #1 fan experience in all of sports was participating in the loudest sudden ovation known-to-man when Legwand scored the shortie against the Wings in our first home playoff game in 2004. Coolest impromptu decision was watching Preds win Game 6 against the Ducks in 2016, and that night deciding to go out to Anaheim 2 days later, surprising my wife who was in LA on business, and taking her to the Game 7 win.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
My #1 fan experience in all of sports was participating in the loudest sudden ovation known-to-man when Legwand scored the shortie against the Wings in our first home playoff game in 2004

(clipped). Me too ILikeit, and like you i've been to thousands of sporting events. Unless one was there, one just cann't even describe it.

Always sort of chuckle about Ally. Handtrick and I would listen to the post game call in show riding home from the game every night and were so frustrated at how pitiful it was as far as hockey knowledge back during the early days. Willy included. We would always say the only one that ever called in that was decent and knew any hockey at all was this Ally and she was a kid, lol.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
(clipped). Me too ILikeit, and like you i've been to thousands of sporting events. Unless one was there, one just cann't even describe it.

Always sort of chuckle about Ally. Handtrick and I would listen to the post game call in show riding home from the game every night and were so frustrated at how pitiful it was as far as hockey knowledge back during the early days. Willy included. We would always say the only one that ever called in that was decent and knew any hockey at all was this Ally and she was a kid, lol.
Well we just needed to find an Eric Lindros type.... How many times did the post game call in show start with that. Because you know, Lindros types were on every corner.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well we just needed to find an Eric Lindros type.... How many times did the post game call in show start with that. Because you know, Lindros types were on every corner.
It's ok all of these years later and posters still think anyone drafted anywhere in the first round should be a Lindros type.:help:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's ok all of these years later and posters still think anyone drafted anywhere in the first round should be a Lindros type.:help:
I have always tried to look at it as they higher the pick, the higher chance they have of making the NHL, that's it, nothing else. David Legwand was what he was, a solid NHL player, many Nashville fans hated him though because he wasn't a star and he was a number 2 overall. So if every top 5 player is a star, is there 50 star players in the NHL?

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Funny how your perspective on life changes as you get older. You tend to stop and smell the roses a little more. If you're doing it right, you appreciate things more. It's less about you and more about relationships with people and interests. To me, sports was always about camaraderie. Bunch of people, either fellow players when you played, or fellow fans when you root. Experiencing winning and losing is about the relationship you have with your fellow teammates or fans. Winning or losing happens in an instant. It's effect is amplified by sharing it with like-minded, invested people.

That's what's made this thread, going all the way back to the first one, special. Sharing our emotions makes the winning last longer and losing bearable. Sure, Leggie's 2004 goal was awesome, but 16 years later, it's better when you hear others remember it the same way. Its a bond between people that otherwise would't exist. These poster profiles are great. Most of us know each other only by our "handles" and what we choose to post about or comment on. Getting background on people adds another dimension. I'm glad we're doing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->