News Article: Get ready for a renewed love-in with Chipman.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Loving it.

FP: Will you be a cap team now?

MC: It's certainly far more conceivable now. We won't be this year as our contracts are all in place. But this summer when we go into free agency we won't have the same restrictions we had placed on ourselves. I say that all with the understanding that this isn't all about spending money. What the new CBA does is give us an opportunity to invest in the augmentation of our team when it makes the most amount of sense. The objective is still to build out of the draft. The teams that have succeeded and won Stanley Cups, look at the Kings, that team was drafted and developed and then they added some important pieces to the puzzle like Mike Richards to push them through. I wouldn't want people to thing just because we're in a better place that it's like we got a bonus cheque and are now going to go out and buy a new car or new wardrobe. We'll invest in the building and fan experience and all those things.

FP: How did you feel when you were invited by commissioner Gary Bettman to get involved in negotiations?

MC: Humbled. Curious as to why. It was more a reflection of how the league views our organization and our community. The league was really taken by how Winnipeg supported the NHL. Our market, our city and our organization is looked upon as something that matters. They are happy they are back in Winnipeg.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great interview, and if we can be be a consistent cap team it will all be worth it in the long run.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
FP: Last year Zach Parise was on the market. Did you make a pitch? This summer, if there's a top free agent on the market will the Jets make an offer?

MC: No, we didn't make a bid on that player. We knew where that one was going to land and it didn't fit our model. Will we participate? Yes but it will depend on who that player is and what our needs are. If there are guys that can get us to the next level, absolutely we'll be involved.

Weird. Chevy had actually stated they had made a run at Parise, but the reply was simply, "thanks, but no thanks."

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Weird. Chevy had actually stated they had made a run at Parise, but the reply was simply, "thanks, but no thanks."

More than likely an informal inquiry as opposed to a formal offer.

"Would you guys be interested?"
"Don't bother..."

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I think Chevy said they gave it a shot but I assume from the two statements that we probably got blown off or it was made clear to us early what direction they were going in.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This thread should be forever bookmarked for reference to any naysayer that might drop by.

You can see why the NHL wanted to come here, and, conversely, why the Thrashers left Atlanta. It's all about ownership, and we have GREAT ownership.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mark is being interviewed live on TSN 1290 right now

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
FP: Some people say if the Canadian dollar plummets to 80 cents the Jets will be in financial trouble.

MC: That's not true. The whole revenue share model mitigates the vast majority of a swing in currency for us. That's one thing we studied very carefully.

I always had this in the back of my mind.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wouldn't mind them taking a run at a FA this summer. We'll likely pick top 10-15 this year, which with the super deep draft, could really help us out. After that, get some help from the FA market and make a playoff push next year with Scheifele and Trouba.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Awesome interview.

Had a nice discussion with a Flames fan on my flight from Calgary -> Winnipeg two days ago.

He wagered we'd always be a bottom 6 team, people never wanting to play in Wpg etc...

Had to school him on our organization a bit.

Puckschmuck*

Awesome interview.

Had a nice discussion with a Flames fan on my flight from Calgary -> Winnipeg two days ago.

He wagered we'd always be a bottom 6 team, people never wanting to play in Wpg etc...

This is no surprise to me. Calgarians tend to feel superior to Winnipeggers. I've live with this for almost 12 years now. Luckily, that is no longer the case, especially when it comes to both hockey teams :naughty:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Awesome interview.

This is no surprise to me. Calgarians tend to feel superior to Winnipeggers. I've live with this for almost 12 years now. Luckily, that is no longer the case, especially when it comes to both hockey teams :naughty:

I get a kick out of guys like this. they mean well but they are working with old information and by that I mean both on Winnipeg and the NHL. It's the new cap era and players are going to go where they are drafted first, eventually where they can get paid, and finally where they can win if they can be that picky. "if" we have the formula right in Winnipeg we can win a championship just as easily as the Rangers, the leafs, and certainly the guys team on the plane with the cowboy boots carrying the big pot while calling the kettle black. right daffy like UFA's are crawling over themselves to live in cowtown with its big city culture to play for the flames :laugh::laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I get a kick out of guys like this. they mean well but they are working with old information and by that I mean both on Winnipeg and the NHL. It's the new cap era and players are going to go where they are drafted first, eventually where they can get paid, and finally where they can win if they can be that picky. "if" we have the formula right in Winnipeg we can win a championship just as easily as the Rangers, the leafs, and certainly the guys team on the plane with the cowboy boots carrying the big pot while calling the kettle black. right daffy like UFA's are crawling over themselves to live in cowtown with its big city culture to play for the flames :laugh::laugh:

I will lol for ages if we're able to win a Stanley Cup before Toronto gets another.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Awesome interview.

Like the Flames will be any better within a few years.:shakehead

Once that team loses Iginla and Kipper they are going to have to rebuild. Heck, one could argue that their rebuild should have begun 2 or 3 seasons ago. We are that much further ahead of them in that aspect.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Yeah. I love a lot of things about Calgary and Alberta (sans the lack of a true french culture but that's a tangent) but many calgarians i encounter looks down upon or are completely clueless when it comes to the Peg. However not all are; its always the artsy and "culture-savvy" calgarians who love Winnipeg.

Ha, true - this might sounds pompous of me, but I do enjoy on a deep level listening to the ignorant explanations of why the Jets won't ever do good only to remind them which team exactly has the richest NHL co-owner. By far. Richest in all pro-sports in NA, if I'm correct.

I mean, the discussion entails more than just my pro-Jets gesturing, but the resulting speechlessness is priceless. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad