Recalled/Assigned: Get Out Your Parkas... There's a Frost Warning (Morgan Frost Recalled 11/18)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
If Giroux is on the wrong side and Provorov is on the unit it won’t even matter.

Are you unhappy that Provorov is successful? I get that in the past Provy has looked wonky on the PP, and he still does at times. Ghost is hands down the better puck handler and is great on zone keeps.

But Provorov leads the team in powerplay points (8), powerplay goals (3), and powerplay assists (5, tied with TK).

Provy's PP blast from the other night is exactly what I've wanted to see more of from him, and it's awesome that he's converting and finally getting rewarded.

Ghost has been the absolute best PP QB option on this team in the past, and he might still be at some point this season or in future seasons (he's only 26), but right now, Provorov is showing success. If you take him off the PP for the ghost of Ghost, isn't that the exact message we don't want AV to send?

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are you unhappy that Provorov is successful? I get that in the past Provy has looked wonky on the PP, and he still does at times. Ghost is hands down the better puck handler and is great on zone keeps.

But Provorov leads the team in powerplay points (8), powerplay goals (3), and powerplay assists (5, tied with TK).

Provy's PP blast from the other night is exactly what I've wanted to see more of from him, and it's awesome that he's converting and finally getting rewarded.

Ghost has been the absolute best PP QB option on this team in the past, and he might still be at some point this season or in future seasons (he's only 26), but right now, Provorov is showing success. If you take him off the PP for the ghost of Ghost, isn't that the exact message we don't want AV to send?
Not at all, I love Provorov.

But I care more about the team than Provorov, which is why I want everything to be the best that it can be and the PP is better off with Ghost and Sanheim on it than Provorov. We have such a massive sample size showing how poor he is on the PP and even when he’s been on it this year he hasn’t visually looked any better. Same flaws, same problems, but better luck and teammates.

He has more PP points than Ghost because of how they’ve been used. The only time Ghost was on the unit with Giroux and Voracek was when they were on the wrong sides, which was obviously broken and killed any chance to score... then at the same exact time that they Giroux back on the correct side they put Provorov on that unit, so he got some points thanks to that. He also just got a point with them when Giroux and Voracek scored that goal off the rush a game or two ago, where it had nothing to do with Provorov or the PP setup.

Before that at the beginning of the year he was with the Couts unit when Lindblom and TK were on fire, so he got some points thanks to them. Ghost also got some points when he was out on that unit, even though they were nowhere near as dangerous as they were at the start of the year. Then last game Provorovs PP goal was with the Couts unit again. I’ll definitely give him credit for that because it was a great shot, but that obviously shouldn’t be enough to make us ignore everything else. Even Mac scored a few PP goals in the past.

If Ghost has the same usage Provorovs had on the PP this year he easily has more points. He’s simply the superior option, but he’s been screwed over the entire time and set up to fail.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Giroux is on the wrong side and Provorov is on the unit it won’t even matter.

It needs to be said that these two issues are not equal.

Giroux being on the wrong side is a bigger issue than having Provorov on the top unit over Ghost. I do think it should be Ghost of course, but the Giroux/Jake wrong-side shit is a much bigger problem.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It needs to be said that these two issues are not equal.

Giroux being on the wrong side is a bigger issue than having Provorov on the top unit over Ghost. I do think it should be Ghost of course, but the Giroux/Jake wrong-side **** is a much bigger problem.
Oh absolutely, I agree 100%.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Not at all, I love Provorov.

But I care more about the team than Provorov, which is why I want everything to be the best that it can be and the PP is better off with Ghost and Sanheim on it than Provorov. We have such a massive sample size showing how poor he is on the PP and even when he’s been on it this year he hasn’t visually looked any better. Same flaws, same problems, but better luck and teammates.

He has more PP points than Ghost because of how they’ve been used. The only time Ghost was on the unit with Giroux and Voracek was when they were on the wrong sides, which was obviously broken and killed any chance to score... then at the same exact time that they Giroux back on the correct side they put Provorov on that unit, so he got some points thanks to that. He also just got a point with them when Giroux and Voracek scored that goal off the rush a game or two ago, where it had nothing to do with Provorov or the PP setup.

Before that at the beginning of the year he was with the Couts unit when Lindblom and TK were on fire, so he got some points thanks to them. Ghost also got some points when he was out on that unit, even though they were nowhere near as dangerous as they were at the start of the year. Then last game Provorovs PP goal was with the Couts unit again. I’ll definitely give him credit for that because it was a great shot, but that obviously shouldn’t be enough to make us ignore everything else. Even Mac scored a few PP goals in the past.

If Ghost has the same usage Provorovs had on the PP this year he easily has more points. He’s simply the superior option, but he’s been screwed over the entire time and set up to fail.

I mean, to each his own I guess. What I see is Provorov enjoying success on the power play, and it's really nice to see. I like things that work, and this is working, so I'm happy.

I also have faith in this coaching staff that when things don't work, they'll try something different - which they have many times this season. Ghost will definitely be on the G power play unit at some point and then it's up to him to perform and score goals. To me that's the biggest element missing from Ghost's game right now - bomb shots that actually hit the net and go in with some regularity.

Honestly, and slightly off topic, I think Ghosts' biggest issue is between his ears. He's been a very up and down player in Philly. High highs and low lows.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I guess there can't be any thread without a "Ghost is the greatest" essay anymore on this board.

Even Boxcar wasn't this persistent.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, to each his own I guess. What I see is Provorov enjoying success on the power play, and it's really nice to see. I like things that work, and this is working, so I'm happy.

I also have faith in this coaching staff that when things don't work, they'll try something different - which they have many times this season. Ghost will definitely be on the G power play unit at some point and then it's up to him to perform and score goals. To me that's the biggest element missing from Ghost's game right now - bomb shots that actually hit the net and go in with some regularity.

Honestly, and slightly off topic, I think Ghosts' biggest issue is between his ears. He's been a very up and down player in Philly. High highs and low lows.

I don't see it that way. I see it as the units are enjoying success with Provorov fortunately in tow, not that he's been doing anything to deserve being on that unit over a proven superior PP player. I want the best units possible, I'm not happy to settle for something that's merely OK.

Magua broke down his points a few games back...

I also understand sample size. Provorov has THREE years of being the statistically worst PP defenseman in the league (not saying he was the worst on talent or entirely responsible; for example, Konecny seems to have made strides in his poise on the wall this season). He was pretty average in juniors relative to peers. You need to explain why 3+ weeks is more indicative than 3+ years, and I'm not outright dismissing it. I'm trying to evaluate how after seasons of 5, 5, 2 PP points, he has 6 in a month.

What about each of his points (because it's his results being praised), on re-watch, leads you to believe we are seeing individual, sustainable growth, to the exponential level warranting PP1 time? Was it his goal bouncing off 2 players? Or his assist to Giroux where 5 seconds later Giroux deked and walked in? His early season one timer pass to Voracek who bar downed it which is a minor miracle (this is already the 2nd PP1 point where Giroux and Voracek are on their proper sides, which is no minor thing and an evaluative hurdle)? His seeing eye slapper from the corner earlier in the season (legit a great shot)? A secondary assist off an entry followed by a Konecny cross ice pass to Lindblom? A secondary assist to Niskanen to Konecny, who steps into a wrister?

Provorov is a very good entry player. Provorov tends to play a little stationary without much deception on passes or shots. He tends to "manage" a PP more than "quarterback" it. Have we seen anything to the contrary? Funnily enough, it's his wrist shot that is the best of any Flyers defenseman and could catapult his PP work, as I see it. But he hasn't really created the movement to use it, like he does at ES. TLDR: points aren't always predictive or reflecting on certain skills.​

Then to add to that in recent games was his secondary assist where Voracek danced around the PKers while on a rush and passed it to Giroux... then the PP goal which I already said was good.

And you may have faith in the coaching staff, but I definitely don't. It seems like these coaches aren't going to put Ghost on the Giroux unit when Giroux is on the left side, since every time they put him back on the unit they switch Giroux to the right side. They've literally taken something that was elite for years and ruined it, so of course it kills the production of everyone on the unit. Ghost can't be blamed for the unit not scoring when even Giroux (one of the best PP players in the entire league) can't make it work.

As far as consistency goes, he's not any more inconsistent than Provorov, yet only one receives the complaints. Both make mistakes, both have highs and lows, but one gets ridiculously more favorable usage and opportunities. Ghost hasn't been an inconsistent player, he's just had horribly inconsistent usage/partners and his production obviously suffers because of it, as anyone's would.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Surprise call-up of Morgan Frost continues Flyers front...

“Chuck and I talked for an hour yesterday morning, and an hour in the afternoon, about where we were, what he thought, what I saw. And putting our two minds together, we came up with this,” head coach Alain Vigneault said after practice on Monday.

“It was just looking at our overall team, our four lines, our defense,” he said, “and after both of us (talking) with (Phantoms head coach) Scott (Gordon), we thought that bringing up Morgan (was the right move), and playing him in a role where he can have success.”

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Chuck Fletcher on November 5th said:
“I would say there are some big swings in his performance right now,” Fletcher said when asked if Frost was closing in on a promotion. “Last weekend, the first game, he scored a goal but had a real tough time managing the puck. He sort of reverted back to some of his junior habits. And then, the next night, he played really well. Managed the puck much better. Played with more pace. I think that’s very, very typical for a 20-year-old player, first-year pro. There are big swings. They’re not consistent performers at the pro level, yet. You’re trying to break some of their habits.

“His talent level speaks for itself, (but) in terms of pace and puck management, playing without the puck, zone awareness and coverage, right now there are areas he needs to get better at it. He’s made some progress, so we’ll continue to allow him to develop down there. But certainly, at some point, he’s a smart, talented hockey player. He’s going to get better at it. When he does, it will make him a better candidate to come up here.”

The most rapid progress a player can make in the AHL is a pointless streak 1.5 weeks later, I presume. :sarcasm:

Love the decision, but Chuck does have his own inconsistency streak to him where he goes, "Ahhh f*** it let's go babyyyyyy!" Under Hextall, prospects magically became NHL ready due to injuries. Under Chuckles, prospect magically become NHL ready after multiple losses. Not a criticism; stubbornness and thumb twiddling aren't exactly endearing GM qualities. Trial and error, with calculated risk, is how the best rosters should form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->