Get out of the way - No.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResidentAlien*

www.tsn.ca
Bobby Orr, what this guy did for the game is immeasureable IMO. Maybe he can light a fire under some collective a$$'es.
Give em hell Bobby!

Last edited by a moderator:

NYIsles1*

I think the world of Bobby Orr as a player and a person. He goes to camps with kids and talks hockey and is pure class. I do not think he was speaking as a player here but he happens to be a player agent so he does has a vested interest for his clients.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
ResidentAlien said:
www.tsn.ca
Bobby Orr, what this guy did for the game is immeasureable IMO. Maybe he can light a fire under some collective a$$'es.
Give em hell Bobby!
well as much as i love gary and boy bob is the unbelievable hard ass i've ever seen orr's probably right - this has been going on for 6 year's hasn't it? i think they've had ample time to get a deal done - time for plan b

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
too easy

IF it were that easy, it would be done.

Unfortuneatly it comes down to what the groups "need" as a whole.

And, IMO, the players are the ones who have to step up and do the right thing.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
AM said:
toplay a game for a reasonable amount.

The Players have giving up more then ANY pro sport Players side has ever given up. Its time Bettman did the right thing which is to NEGOTIATE.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
AM said:

This is the crux of it, isn't it? It's what those who just jump up and down and shout "meet in the middle!" don't get, what those who think its about "winning" or "destroying one side" don't get. One side has found its final line, the furthest it believes it can afford to accept. Unless a way is found to convince them that the line can be moved, they won't ever come off it. The other side, however, hasn't. They object on principle, and then caved on most of them. Now they are just selfishly holding on to as much money as they can. That might have been understandable or forgivable if it were 18 months ago, but a season has gone down the drain and now a second is looking a bit iffy. It's time for the players to just accept what the new reality is and stop messing around. It's over.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
The Players have giving up more then ANY pro sport Players side has ever given up. Its time Bettman did the right thing which is to NEGOTIATE.

really, so that means they will accept a cap linked to revenues?

Cause they do that in the NBA and NFL.

if not, they the only thing the players gave up was a year of hockey.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Maybe i missed something :confused:

Could you please enlighten me as to what exactly the players have givin up? Surely your not talking about the 24% rollback that would have lasted about 2 years and then be right back where they started from!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
24% of all contracts that still exist to date is a lot.

That's, what, 28 players this year, and maybe 15 the next, only Yashin in six years?

The 24% will "inspire" all the other 720++ members to want less, to not be greedy for the big payday, because they want to help lower costs and provide the ONLY means for lower ticket prices.

The players have given a lot.

Excuse me now.....I have to explain the connection between the Loch Ness Monster and BeeGee's singer Andy Gibb to scientists in Vienna, now.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
The owners, BTW, put out a proposal that is guaranteed to allow every team to exist, and have moved away from it only in the hopes for a settlement. Strict as it may seem, it is the only thing I've seen that produces a meaningful prevention of $12M Yashins and Tkachuk's in the future, which would only further ruin this sport.

I don't support either side because both sides ruined the game. I only support the one logical plan that makes fiscal sense.

The edge goes to the owners, but the reality is that both sides are losers.

Gimpy, blowhard, worthless losers.

mooseOAK*

Ironically, it was Orr who set the salary spiral in place with his then unheard of $100,000 a year contract.

Now he is watching guys spit at having a salary 13 times that much on average.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I call on Bobby Orr, Wayne, Mario, Guy, Gordie and everyone else who counts to threaten to have their likenesses, records, associations and any other properties removed from the NHL as a strike against both parties.

A very ugly public divorce from the sinking ship NHL.

As much as the courts will allow.

Any player can use #99 in the future, if there is hockey being played ever again, and all lore that can be linked to the former players, the NHL will no longer have rights to (without paying through the nose to obtain those rights).

This would be a black eye on the League's integrity (What integrity? Where?) and force the two gimps to finish negotiations, or will ruin their chances of remaining the ****heads of the NHL/NHLPA respectively.

Their merchandising has taken a hit (as people no longer care about the sport that was hockey) and financially, the repurcussions are quite huge. I think the courts might go along with it for that reason, and an NHL that can no longer associat itself with the greatest players ever to play the game should be a scary thought for ratboy and Greedenow.

Just a radical thought.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
T@T said:
Maybe i missed something :confused:

Could you please enlighten me as to what exactly the players have givin up? Surely your not talking about the 24% rollback that would have lasted about 2 years and then be right back where they started from!

Agreed to Hard Cap, Agreed to drop the number down from 52 million or whatever high number it was at first, Linkage to the Cap, and of course the 24% rollback.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Agreed to Hard Cap, Agreed to drop the number down from 52 million or whatever high number it was at first, Linkage to the Cap, and of course the 24% rollback.

Or...

Agreed to do the above for publicity, at the 12th hour when there was absolutely no chance of them being held to do so, as there would never be an agreement, regardless.

It's 11:59PM, I agree to give in on about every concession before the 12AM deadline, but fillibuster on the last item to purpoefully reneg on my offer, YET I look like I'm bargaining in good faith and giving in on everything.

Offering to have my VERY LIMITED remaining contracts reduced by 24% (though the vast vast majority will erase the 24% within 2 years), agree to lower the cap figure and agree to a cap I will never see due to my firm negotiating apathy, then never go back to resolve the issues, then cry to the media when nothing gets done, all the while, not negotiating until that 12th hour.

Both sides' agendas are very much alive and will continue to drive their efforts. No linkage or no cap or no this or that. This will drag the void on forever. To think the PA or NHL will yield to common sense is rediculous, so long as both sides think the other will lose.

So you applaud the PA's concessions, though temporary and meaningless, and others applaud the NHL's concessions as meaningless as they are. I'll applaud when something gets signed and remain judgemental of the pink elephant offers Goodenow and Bettman tell the press they made, take-it-or-leave-it by nature, as they fight obstinately to continue this war of attrition/p***ing contest.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
AM said:

are you kidding me?? They played in a free market for 95 years and now they agreed to negotiate a linkage system. How the hell is that not doing the right thing. Talk to Jeremy jacobs and the rest of the owners who havnt changed there stance since day 1 on 54%. Its absolutly insane for you to say that the players should be the ones who need to step up now. That's just unbelievable that anyone can think that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I take a backseat to no one in my respect and affection for Bobby Orr.
But I must say this: where the hell has he (and his fellow agents) been? Why has he waited so long to speak up and out? Why are his fellow agents remaining silent?
Every day this lockout continues the player agents lose money too. They have a stake in the outcome as well as the players & owners do. Yet the agents are dead silent. What is wrong with them? Maybe the question should be, what or who are they afraid of, that they won't talk?
I think Orr's comments would have had a much greater impact if he'd spoken back in November or December 2004.
He's right on the money, but it is too little and too late.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
are you kidding me?? They played in a free market for 95 years and now they agreed to negotiate a linkage system. How the hell is that not doing the right thing. Talk to Jeremy jacobs and the rest of the owners who havnt changed there stance since day 1 on 54%. Its absolutly insane for you to say that the players should be the ones who need to step up now. That's just unbelievable that anyone can think that.

Not unbelievable at all. 700 players get a billion dollars a year to play hockey, and that's not good enough for them. In reality, they don't need a "no cap" league. They don't need to be free of linkage. They don't need any of the things they are fighting about. They're just greedy. They don't want to give up their share of the pie even when its clear to so many that the pie just isn't big enough to split that way anymore.

Can someone, anyone, tell us why the players have to have the things they are fighting about? Tell us why they can't live without them, take their billion dollars, and just try to grow the league alongside its owners? Just a simple answer to a simple question, please. Why do the players need to have those things?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
BMC said:
I take a backseat to no one in my respect and affection for Bobby Orr.
But I must say this: where the hell has he (and his fellow agents) been? Why has he waited so long to speak up and out? Why are his fellow agents remaining silent?
Every day this lockout continues the player agents lose money too. They have a stake in the outcome as well as the players & owners do. Yet the agents are dead silent. What is wrong with them? Maybe the question should be, what or who are they afraid of, that they won't talk?
I think Orr's comments would have had a much greater impact if he'd spoken back in November or December 2004.
He's right on the money, but it is too little and too late.

The agents were responsible for most of the loopholes in the last CBA (anyone remember Rich Winters' comments on entry level contracts? When he boasted about finding ways around the CBA?). They are staying quiet because they know the way the wind shifted and wanted to make sure what is left is salvagable.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
OlTimeHockey said:
Or...

Agreed to do the above for publicity, at the 12th hour when there was absolutely no chance of them being held to do so, as there would never be an agreement, regardless.

That is PURELY speculation, the info i gave were facts.

ResidentAlien*

NYIsles1 said:
I think the world of Bobby Orr as a player and a person. He goes to camps with kids and talks hockey and is pure class. I do not think he was speaking as a player here but he happens to be a player agent so he does has a vested interest for his clients.
Regardless of where he is coming from, player agent, vested interest or not, he is right and I think we could use a few more of the old time guys applying more pressure to the boneheads running,,,err make that Ruining, the show.
Do you really think the only reason he is speaking out is beacuse he is an agent? I think he is just as sick as the rest of us about this mess, thing is, his voice carrys more weight then yours or mine.
I think he is pissed like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->