Norway: GET-ligaen (2021 Playoffs cancelled)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This kinda OT but I'll put in the same topic.

There is rumours for Norwegian KHL team for next season.. How likely is that?

It would probably have to be Norwegian national team+nordic players to get some interest from local fans, right?

I would find it easy to believe that Finnish players would like to join team like that way more than to Russian teams.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This kinda OT but I'll put in the same topic.

It would probably have to be Norwegian national team+nordic players to get some interest from local fans, right?

I would find it easy to believe that Finnish players would like to join team like that way more than to Russian teams.

probaly some swedes on the team..

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

It seems very likely, like 60-70 percent possibility. I think it would be local players + bunch of North Americans, similar model to Dinamo Riga. Swedes and Finns who can make an impact at the KHL level are really expensive, I doubt this team could afford them. And there's no point in wasting a roster spot for a non-impact Finn when you can just give it to some local lad.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What semi- pro league would you compare it to? Is the hockey good, or bad?

It's more complicated than that. The difference between top and bottom teams in those small European minor leagues (Denmark, Norway, Belarus) is huge. So regarding GET-ligaen, I think (and there's plenty of evidence to support it) Stavanger or Valerenga would be competitive in the DEL but team like Tonsberg would play in Germany's third division.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
probaly some swedes on the team..

Obviously.. more than finns.

They must have some big sponsor to start.. but this could really boost Norwegian hockey if done right. It's not cheap league, you basicly have to go to all away games by plane ect.. And you need really solid players. I don't see how it can happend via pure profit in Norway in the first years. The people should suddenly start to care about hockey. Or do you think they can get the arena full? KHL teams get to sell their TV broadcasting rights themself, or can base their own channel's.. but in Norway, that helps less than it does in Finland, if I'm correct, as people don't watch hockey that much.

They might later, after few years actually become profitable if they played it well.

Last edited:

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Regarding the Norwegian league I think SoundAndFury is correct with his analyse. I also think that the top teams, maybe even top 4 teams, but absolutelt top 2 teams(Stavanger/Valeranga) could play in the DEL, EBEL etc. and even win those leagues.

The bottoms teams, especially the bottom 2-3 teams are are dull. They are in no chance to take a gold in the GET and should not even play there in my opinion.

I think the same applies for the Danish league, but I have never seen it in play.

And regarding the Norwegian team in KHL I think also it will/should be similar to Riga. They can use some of their best players in Europe and add some good AHL-players or even some Swede or Finn to the team. I think it could be 80% Norwegian easily. Also it could be a very good way to try out up and coming Norwegians, so they get to feel how it is to play in a really big league. I think this is good for them to experience.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
VÃ¥lerenga won the Norwegian GET league 2013-2014 with 103 points. Stavanger Oilers had 101 points before the last game of the regular season( before playoff), and only 2 points ahead VÃ¥leranga. So it was time for regular season final in the last round between VÃ¥lerenga and Stavanger on Tuesday evening. It was played in Jordal Amfi Oslo.

VÃ¥lerenga smashed Stavanger 7-1 in the game and won the title. Everyone thought it was going to be an evenly matched played. But Stavanger had a terrible night in Oslo.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
VÃ¥lerenga won the Norwegian GET league 2013-2014 with 103 points. Stavanger Oilers had 101 points before the last game of the regular season( before playoff), and only 2 points ahead VÃ¥leranga. So it was time for regular season final in the last round between VÃ¥lerenga and Stavanger on Tuesday evening. It was played in Jordal Amfi Oslo.

VÃ¥lerenga smashed Stavanger 7-1 in the game and won the title. Everyone thought it was going to be an evenly matched played. But Stavanger had a terrible night in Oslo.

Seems like Morten Ask had a big hand in this, having a monster year - 15G 51A !! (most assist in the league and tied 1'st in overall points)
Also Sondre Olden as 5'th is increasing his production and should be ready to move to a bigger league?!
Little surprised though that Steffen Søberg only was second best goalie after Stavanger's Ruben Smith.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Seems like Morten Ask had a big hand in this, having a monster year - 15G 51A !! (most assist in the league and tied 1'st in overall points)
Also Sondre Olden as 5'th is increasing his production and should be ready to move to a bigger league?!
Little surprised though that Steffen Søberg only was second best goalie after Stavanger's Ruben Smith.

Yes, a very good season by Ask. Olden is speeding up his productivity as well, have been some rumors about Brynäs, will see what happens. I am also surprised about Søberg, was hoping he would take a new step this season and maybe getting a chance in a foreign league. But he is still very young, so anything can happen In the feature IMO.

robinho

May 27, 2016
A new ice hockey arena is being planned on the same ground as Jordan Amfi in Oslo, Norway. The new arena will have a capacity of 5.500 spectators. Here are some illustrations of the arena along with a link to an animation:

https://www.facebook.com/HilleMelbye/videos/1102672253127517/

Alternativ-1-Eksteriørperspektiv.jpg

11.jpg

freddiebearhockey

Sep 18, 2016
Norway
The Norwegian Get-Liga is getting better every year! Now that ex Norway coach Roy Johansen is back in Vålerenga, the league will be tighter than usual! Norwegian experts have predicted a very open season with many outsiders! Kongsvinger and Manglerud Star are the only teams outside this category, but even the bottom teams are looking stronger than previous years! After seeing Norway qualify for their 3rd straight olympics, i expect a lot of hungry upcomming youngsters! Stavanger is looking good, but they have an unexperienced coach. Storhamar, Sparta Sarpsborg, Stjernen (Fredrikstad Stars) Lørenskog and Vålerenga will give them tight games this season!

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I feel like Norway are getting ahead of Denmark again.

Might not have as many NHL'ers- But a way way better nt, with better coaching system, and a better coherence.

A much much much better national league, with not only better imports, but better arenas and they are able to get more spectators.

Also, the NT has qualified for 3 straight olympics.

One of the two players you have in the NHL who isn't even a draftee, is doing better than all Danish players, both in the NHL and in the World Cup.

Congratz Norway, I think you will be getting ahead of Denmark again not too long from now.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I feel like Norway are getting ahead of Denmark again.

Might not have as many NHL'ers- But a way way better nt, with better coaching system, and a better coherence.

A much much much better national league, with not only better imports, but better arenas and they are able to get more spectators.

Also, the NT has qualified for 3 straight olympics.

One of the two players you have in the NHL who isn't even a draftee, is doing better than all Danish players, both in the NHL and in the World Cup.

Congratz Norway, I think you will be getting ahead of Denmark again not too long from now.

There really isnt indication of that happening judging by recent showings of Norwegian U-18 and U-20 teams as both will play in DIV1A, while Denmark has become more of an elevator team at this stage, not to even mention prospects like O.Bjorkstrand and Ehlers. Danes are just unlucky, conventional wisdom states that Denmark should have easily qualified for Olympics.

spring29

Oct 8, 2016
Yesterday, the old Jordal Amfi had its last elite league game (it will still have youth academy games until January 15th) and the closing ceremony was quite emotional. It has served continously from 1951 to today, and is probably one of the oldest active arenas, at least in Europe.

http://www.tv2.no/v/1133201/

New arena will open in september 2018.

Last edited:

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Yesterday, the old Jordal Amfi had its last elite league game (it will still have youth academy games until January 15th) and the closing ceremony was quite emotional. It has served continously from 1951 to today, and is probably one of the oldest active arenas, at least in Europe.

This clip is much better:http://www.tv2.no/v/1132390/

In this clip you can see some old pictures from when the arena was constructed along with some footage from an expedition game between USA and Norway back in 1951. Also a small clip from the IIHF B-group hosted in Oslo back in 1989 (when Norway won the tournament).

WildNorway

Jan 13, 2017
Larrivée with a hat trick against Stjernen, i belive Storhamar will get a boost from this.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

Glad Jordal is getting a new building, but where will Valerenga be playing?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
This clip is much better:http://www.tv2.no/v/1132390/

In this clip you can see some old pictures from when the arena was constructed along with some footage from an expedition game between USA and Norway back in 1951. Also a small clip from the IIHF B-group hosted in Oslo back in 1989 (when Norway won the tournament).

In September I was lucky enough to talk with Harry Sinden who won gold with Canada in the World Championships in Oslo in 1958! Which he remembered quite well. After that he of course were the GM of the Boston Bruins for a number of years.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I dont want to make new thread, so I will post it here. Question for Norwegian members, what do you think will Sondre Olden get invitation for Olympic games ? He is currently on 34 pts in 35 games for Medvescak in EBEL.

spring29

Oct 8, 2016
I dont want to make new thread, so I will post it here. Question for Norwegian members, what do you think will Sondre Olden get invitation for Olympic games ? He is currently on 34 pts in 35 games for Medvescak in EBEL.

He should be part of the roster, but he was not involved in the national team games before Christmas, for some reason. I think they wanted to test some newer faces, like Salsten and Hoff.

Mr Sniper

Nov 29, 2016
Sweden
Hello, what is the forgein rule in the get league? How many foreign players can a team have?

At the game Eastside hockey manager team are allowed to have as many EU players they want, but only like 5-6-7 non EU players, so I just want to check if it is the same in the reality.

Is it the same rules in the division 1 league?

Regards

spring29

Oct 8, 2016
Hello, what is the forgein rule in the get league? How many foreign players can a team have?

At the game Eastside hockey manager team are allowed to have as many EU players they want, but only like 5-6-7 non EU players, so I just want to check if it is the same in the reality.

Is it the same rules in the division 1 league?

Regards

Max quota of 7 non-Norwegians (no difference between EU and CAN/US players).
It's the same for 1. divisjon, to my knowledge.

This rule is a hot topic of discussion, however, and "everyone" agrees that the quota needs to be lowered. I wouldn't be surprised if it's lowered to 4, 5 or 6 in a couple of years.

1. divisjon is currently going through a small change. Many of the clubs are affiliating with top level clubs, and U23 players can move freely between affiliates.

By the way, foreign players can get "homegrown status" if they have played in the league for 8 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->