Confirmed with Link: Get excited about Filip Gustavsson

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I agree with you in theory (sometimes it's better to let Euro goalies get some seasoning overseas), but I think he already said that he wants to come to North America as soon as his Swedish season is over. Wants to play a few Bingo games if he can before the season is done. It sounds overwhelmingly like he wants to start his North American career ASAP.

Honestly, after the B.S. that Wikstrand put us through, I'm always happy to hear when guys legit want to come and pay their dues in the AHL.

Bingo is no more for us. I know you know this but just reminding you. Lol

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
All I know is that it feels good to have a blue chip goalie in the pipeline. Will be interesting to see how Hogburg plays out too. I don't expect to see either goalie for a few years, unless we really force it.

It puts my goaltending woes at ease right now.

How good of a goalie prospect is he?

Where does he compare in prospect rankings to past prospects like lehner, markstrom, Schneider, Emery, Fleury, price, dipietro.

Those were some of the blue chipper prospects I remember when growing up.

I don't recall hearing about gustavsson before the trade. Is he really a blue chipper who is all but guaranteed to be given a starting position at some point? My hockey knowledge must be getting worse as I used to know most of the blue Chip prospects around the league.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Hogberg was under contract to Ottawa, and he and the Senators both wanted him to play in North America.

Yes Hammond was under contract, but they were going to trade him...... and therefore decided they needed a cheaper veteran goaltender under contract, for Belleville.

Where does driedger fit in your post?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I am also befuddled at how the goalies have been handled, but I did just want to point out that the renewed commitment to drafting and development is a pretty recent announcement by the team. That wasn't the direction they were going in last summer when they signed Taylor.

It doesnt' excuse the course of action, but the context when Taylor was signed is very different to what we have now.

Didn't we have Hammond,driedger and hogberg when we signed Taylor? How many goalies did we need down there?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Where does he compare in prospect rankings to past prospects like lehner, markstrom, Schneider, Emery, Fleury, price, dipietro.

I don't recall hearing about gustavsson before the trade. Is he really a blue chipper who is all but guaranteed to be given a starting position at some point? My hockey knowledge must be getting worse as I used to know most of the blue Chip prospects around the league.

I think Pierre Mcguire said he's between a Rask and Lehner

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Im sure how he looks in Belleville, the prospect tourney and training camp will all influence where he starts next season.
Right, it's just that every yr we have this discussion where people feel that because he is now ranked as one of our best prospects people immediately think he is going to step in & take over which yr after yr is rarely the case. He's only 19 ys old & we often hear that goalies like defencemen take longer & he's got at least two experienced goaltenders ahead of him at the moment anyway.

Dreidger has payed his dues & Hogberg is paying his & IMO Gustavsson will pay his & will most likely start the season in the ECHL to acclimatize himself with the NA game & work his way up. If he proves he is a great goalie right off the bat than I expect his ascension will be much faster than most. The same can be said for Brown & Batherson likely finding themselves behind older veteran AHL players. Although Ottawa could probably use Brown since they are short one good top six centre at the moment & Pageau seems to be fitting in until they find a replacement.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Goalies are never "all but guaranteed" to be anything. But Gus is a good prospect. He won the Best Goalie award at this year's World Juniors with Sweden.

Other than the WJC, where it's not like I was watching him specifically, I haven't seen him play live. But reports are that he's looking like a starter. Sorry for the vagaries.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That's a hell of a gap.

Initially yes. But Mcguire was comparing the 3 in terms of how they were viewed when they were prospects , not how Rask and Lehner turned out.

And really, both guys turned into starting goaltenders, yes Rask is elite but hard to not get excited about a better Lehner.

I'd take Lehner back on this team right now. He'd instantly become our number 1 guy so if Gus is even better, I'm happy with that

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Goalies are never "all but guaranteed" to be anything. But Gus is a good prospect. He won the Best Goalie award at this year's World Juniors with Sweden.

Other than the WJC, where it's not like I was watching him specifically, I haven't seen him play live. But reports are that he's looking like a starter. Sorry for the vagaries.

For sure. But some guys are so highly touted that they almost get a free shot at a starter role. The guys I listed all came with high pedigree and all played one or more seasons as starters in the NHL. They were as sure as you could get as goalie prospects. I was asking if gustavsson was in that type of group. As in "are the odds really really good that he is a starter for atleast a couple years in the NHL, like the ones I listed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Pierre Mcguire said he's between a Rask and Lehner

I honestly don't remember how highly regarded Rask was as a prospect. Lehner (and Markstrom at the time) was quite highly regarded. All I remember about Rask was the leafs thinking they could flip him because they had Pogge. Here's hoping the Pens made a similar error, though they have Murray so it's next to no risk for them.

Reactions: derriko

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I honestly don't remember how highly regarded Rask was as a prospect. Lehner (and Markstrom at the time) was quite highly regarded. All I remember about Rask was the leafs thinking they could flip him because they had Pogge. Here's hoping the Pens made a similar error, though they have Murray so it's next to no risk for them.

Murray is a pure beast, he's going to recover from his injury struggles and dominate again... Jarry is overrated IMO and I'm relieved Dorion didn't go for Jarry instead of Gustavsson.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Any news about him getting a start? Or any folks see or hear of any reports of him at practice?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Murray is a pure beast, he's going to recover from his injury struggles and dominate again... Jarry is overrated IMO and I'm relieved Dorion didn't go for Jarry instead of Gustavsson.
What do you see in Jarry that make you feel he is overated? His technique? His positionning?

I haven't watch him play.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When Lehner is on his game he's very good.

Problem is his attitude.

Being compared to Lehner at this stage is encouraging.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I have a confession: I'm not excited about Filip Gustavsson

Not for any specific reason, I'm just not feeling it
I think perhaps some of us are (overly) excited due to our current goaltending situation. AKA: hopeful.

I do understand your point.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
When Lehner is on his game he's very good.

Problem is his attitude.

Being compared to Lehner at this stage is encouraging.
Exactly why BM wanted him to stay in Bingo another full season.....He needed to learn how to manage his game for not just being a backup but a 60 game starter...Off course we all know how that worked out..Lehner sulked got his way,and has never developed into the workhorse starter he should have been

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
"I play hockey to be the best and that's my goal with my career. I want to be one of the best goalies in the world." #Sens prospect Filip Gustavsson speaking with TSN. Love it.
— SensChirp (@SensChirp) March 23, 2018
That is what everybody wants to hear,skill gets you to the dance ...Working at it everyday,at a higher pace than everybody else on the floor..Gets you the big pay cheque

Reactions: derriko

Emerica

May 29, 2010
"I play hockey to be the best and that's my goal with my career. I want to be one of the best goalies in the world." #Sens prospect Filip Gustavsson speaking with TSN. Love it.
— SensChirp (@SensChirp) March 23, 2018
I like it, but if you watched the interview Duthie kinda baited him into saying something like that.

"Swedish players don't mind giving bold comments, have you thought about what you want to be as an NHL player? Is it I wanna be a starter in the NHL, I wanna be a star in the NHL, or I wanna be a superstar?"

I mean what do you expect him to say? :laugh: Pretty clear Duthie was fishing for a quote. Still very excited about him and glad he's willing to go down and grind in the AHL.

Reactions: Smeddy

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I don't know if it's a knock on the Senators organization when it comes to drafting and developing goalies, but Gus is, in my opinion, hands down the best goaltending prospect that this team has ever had, and that's with all due respect to the twice drafted Mathieu Chouinard.

That alone has me excited to see how he develops. From the clips I've seen of him, he's silky smooth with his movements in the net. There's no panic. He's square to the shooter, he's good at tightening up so there are no holes for the puck to squeeze through, but he's also got pretty quick lateral movement to make the desperation save, if need be.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Reactions: DJB

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I like it, but if you watched the interview Duthie kinda baited him into saying something like that.

"Swedish players don't mind giving bold comments, have you thought about what you want to be as an NHL player? Is it I wanna be a starter in the NHL, I wanna be a star in the NHL, or I wanna be a superstar?"

I mean what do you expect him to say? :laugh: Pretty clear Duthie was fishing for a quote. Still very excited about him and glad he's willing to go down and grind in the AHL.

If he responded with "I am excited about Filip Gustavsson" he'd instantly have become my favourite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad