Gerrit Cole sweepstakes

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Man it would be so nice to return to the Evil Empire ways. None of this luxury tax, penny-pinching BS please.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Hopefully Cole's future performance won't be a repeat of David Price's record $217 million contract for a pitcher.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As an Angels fan, I'm starting to get very, very scared. I really was convinced we would be able to land Cole, as I did not expect the Yankees and Dodgers to be in the running considering they've avoided massive free agent signings, but I knew that if the Yankees did get involved, our chances of winning a bidding war against them were extremely unlikely. Now that it's being reported they're all in, I have no confidence in Moreno and Eppler to get a deal done. This sucks.

Reactions: Cassano

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Angels vs. Yankees. Cole's agent (it's not Boras, is it?) is amped.

Hopefully Cole's future performance won't be a repeat of David Price's record $217 million contract for a pitcher.

at least Cole is money in the playoffs. He also has a lot less mileage on his arm than Price did at the same time.

I feel the same way. Tho I have a gut feeling he’ll pull a Grienke and sign with the Dodgers

As an Angels fan, I'm starting to get very, very scared. I really was convinced we would be able to land Cole, as I did not expect the Yankees and Dodgers to be in the running considering they've avoided massive free agent signings, but I knew that if the Yankees did get involved, our chances of winning a bidding war against them were extremely unlikely. Now that it's being reported they're all in, I have no confidence in Moreno and Eppler to get a deal done. This sucks.

Yanks avoided major signings for reasons such as this. They didn’t really have a need for Harper or Machado even if both are good players, they needed pitching and there hasn’t been someone as good as Cole on the market in a while

Reactions: mymerlincat

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Angels had better the hell top that with a 8 year deal
The more I think about it, the Angels would probably be best served to sign multiple pieces to address their lineup. They need like 5 SPs, so maybe signing Ryu and Bumgarner to lesser contracts would be better.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The more I think about it, the Angels would probably be best served to sign multiple pieces to address their lineup. They need like 5 SPs, so maybe signing Ryu and Bumgarner to lesser contracts would be better.
I’m a big believer in quality over quantity. Bumgarner’s stats are trending in the wrong direction and he’s expected to get $100+ million, no interest in going there. Ryu I’m also not sure will be worth his contract. If we could add Ryu to go along with Stras/Cole I’d be all for it, but having our future rely on Bumgarner/Ryu being worth their contracts probably won’t end well for us.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I’m a big believer in quality over quantity. Bumgarner’s stats are trending in the wrong direction and he’s expected to get $100+ million, no interest in going there. Ryu I’m also not sure will be worth his contract. If we could add Ryu to go along with Stras/Cole I’d be all for it, but having our future rely on Bumgarner/Ryu being worth their contracts probably won’t end well for us.
Fair point. Perhaps Keuchel is a better bet than Bumgarner. I totally forgot he's a FA again.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Fair point. Perhaps Keuchel is a better bet than Bumgarner. I totally forgot he's a FA again.
I’d like Keuchel, I think he’d do well here with our great infield defense. Ultimately it all depends on how much ownership wants to spend on our third starter, assuming we get Cole or Stras

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad