GDT: Germany vs Canada

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Good first game for us against a quality opponent, we had our usual periods of complacency when we get leads and unnecessary penalties but overall a solid performance.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Well without the second part of the second period we would have made this close.

but if they play better in the next game then we might have a little bit of a chance.

Also can we clone Seider and Stützle?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
It is amazing and kinda scary to see how Seider und Stützle are literally twice as fast and skilled than the rest of the team. Completely different league...
In my opinion, Germany has a fairly strong group of euro players, which has the quality to beat slightly weaker rivals and outsiders. And sometimes they manage to bother the favorite a lot, if the quality from NA still arrives, they lose but not significantly. German hockey is still moving forward, it is not stagnating and I think they can play QF every year. The production of young players has also risen, which is great news for them.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pretty good effort by Germany. Canada is probably the best team on paper. Can see Germany beating anyone else.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's unfortunate how many players Germany are missing. It's the same with Slovakia.

I mean, I know Canada and the other top nations are missing even more players. But for the small nations, missing just a few guys is devastating.

I'm starting to worry it's become a trend, that now not only NHL'ers are declining the world championships, but also more top end players in Europe.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It's unfortunate how many players Germany are missing. It's the same with Slovakia.

I mean, I know Canada and the other top nations are missing even more players. But for the small nations, missing just a few guys is devastating.

I'm starting to worry it's become a trend, that now not only NHL'ers are declining the world championships, but also more top end players in Europe.

Maybe the players who play in Europe didn't have the energy after the Olympics. They have played a lot of hockey and the Olympics are more highly regarded than WC. I don't see a trend here yet as last year a lot of the best Europe based players played in WC.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Maybe the players who play in Europe didn't have the energy after the Olympics. They have played a lot of hockey and the Olympics are more highly regarded than WC. I don't see a trend here yet as last year a lot of the best Europe based players played in WC.

Still, a season in the European leagues, even with Olympics, is significantly shorter than an NHL season.

Slovakia are missing Cehlarik, Hrivik, Jurco, Hudacek, Kelemen up front. Marincin, Jaros, Cajkovsky, Gernat on defense. And those are just the names I can think of off the top of my head, and not counting NHL'ers who are missing. Although some of those could be injured. I know Jaros is. Not sure about the rest.

Germany are without Kahun, Rieder and Kuhnhackl. That's an entire forward line of guys who have proven they can skate with NHL'ers. But again, not sure if injuries are behind.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
With Covid-19 and all that jive for two years or so - everybody would be well rested.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Still, a season in the European leagues, even with Olympics, is significantly shorter than an NHL season.

Slovakia are missing Cehlarik, Hrivik, Jurco, Hudacek, Kelemen up front. Marincin, Jaros, Cajkovsky, Gernat on defense. And those are just the names I can think of off the top of my head, and not counting NHL'ers who are missing. Although some of those could be injured. I know Jaros is. Not sure about the rest.

Germany are without Kahun, Rieder and Kuhnhackl. That's an entire forward line of guys who have proven they can skate with NHL'ers. But again, not sure if injuries are behind.

Kahun tried. He was with the team until after the final exhibition game, in which he played, but his body just couldn't take it. And you could see it in the games he played that he was just not in any condition to really help the team. It was kind of sad to watch. The medical staff tried everything, but it would have made no sense for him, to risk further damage to his body.
Don't know the exact story behind Rieder and Kühnhackl. Probably have some minor injuries and did not want to risk making things worse.
Another player that really would have helped is Freddy Tiffels, but unfortunately he declined.

We already know that no help will come from the NHL. The Avs aren't getting eliminated any time soon and even if the Oilers lose game 7, Draisaitl wll not be an option. Guy needs a break and time to recover from his injuries.

AHL playoffs are where we can maybe get some more firepower. Peterka and Reichel are both down 0-1 in their best-of-5 series and could go out on Sunday. And Leon Gawanke is down 1-2 and could go out tonight.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

We’ve had to dig into the Slovak and Czech leagues reserves for this tournament. It’s a real shame because even just 3 of those forwards and 2-3 of those dman would be a huge difference for us.

Reactions: Elvs

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Yes, the European players don't play as much as NHL players but they are not a customed to playing so long seasons. I don't think many are in such a shape they could play as many games. NHL seasons are too long even for a lot of the NHL players as you can see the tiredness. I think a lot of these guys took the Olympics as the main international event of the season and by this point they don't have the energy to focus on another tournament. Slovakia won bronze in the Olympics. That is a great reward for a lot of these guys because Slovakia doesn't get medals often.

At least Gernat and Kahun have injuries. I think Jaros as well. It is a shame that many declined for Slovakia especially. Then on the other hand Switzerland looks strong as ever with a lot of their usual core players from Europe. Czechs have a good roster as well. Finland has a strong roster 'cos the games are at home. If it wasn't I don't think we would have half of these guys on the team as they just won gold. It seems like every year some countries get a better than average roster and some worse. This year it was Slovakia's turn to have worse roster.

Like I said before, I don't see a trend of players refusing based on just one year and one or two teams.

With Covid-19 and all that jive for two years or so - everybody would be well rested.

Hockey seasons been going for the last two years. It hasn't been rest for these guys.

Reactions: Elvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad