GDT: Germany (Draisaitl) - Korea 16:15, Sweden (Larsson) - Austria 20:15 (DEN times)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Should be a couple of real boring games, but a chance for Drai to rack up points against the worst team the WHC's has seen for ages.

Larsson not suspended for his hit the other day apparently.

Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Draisaitl already scored a goal apparently. Germany up 1-0.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What game is Rishaug doing and is he play by play or color guy?

I've gotten a chuckle out of him the past few days. It's like a college spring break

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Drai's goal:

Bit lucky, but he had a real nice shift prior to that.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Drai 1 G 1 A
Germany 6 - Korea 1

Was hoping for more Drai pts but I have full understanding why even a team like Germany goes on cruise control vs Korea

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Ah I missed that it is confirmed that Larsson will not face any disciplinary actions after his hit on LeClerc the other day.

IIHF decided that it was not necessary to review the play.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Drai 1 G 1 A
Germany 6 - Korea 1

Was hoping for more Drai pts but I have full understanding why even a team like Germany goes on cruise control vs Korea

Drai had 1 goal, 2 assists actually.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Swe Aus pretty boring so far.

Best chance for Austria was a deflection from OEL, good save by Nilsson :laugh:

Larsson watch: not much to tell, best moment when he lost his stick and an Austrian player went for the break-away but Larsson managed to keep skating, covering the puck, turned away from the Austrisn, with the puck, and passed it back up field with his foot :thumbu:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that about 70% of this tournament is an absolute waste of time considering the poor competition? Korea should not be in this tournament. Or Austria. Or etc. etc.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks that about 70% of this tournament is an absolute waste of time considering the poor competition? Korea should not be in this tournament. Or Austria. Or etc. etc.

I don't know, I think it's good for the lesser countries to get a chance to compete with the top dogs. I want to see the game of hockey grow and become more of a global sport, so having teams like Austria, South Korea, Norway, France etc helps that. If they don't have anything to play for then young kids won't get to see them play and get interested in playing themselves. Hell, just having the opportunity of watching your team get embarrassed by Connor McDavid could be a cool experience in itself. Kids who wouldn't watch this tournament normally could tune in just to see their team play and in bonus get to see a lot of good NHLers play and get inspired.

It's pretty boring just to see the same couple of nations compete every year. Czech Republic, Slovakia, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland and Canada. It's always the same teams. Getting to see other teams is refreshing. It wasn't too long ago Germany or Switzerland were jokes but they've gotten a lot better recently. Denmark and France too are starting to produce some NHL talent. Even Norway and Latvia are getting better.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know, I think it's good for the lesser countries to get a chance to compete with the top dogs. I want to see the game of hockey grow and become more of a global sport, so having teams like Austria, South Korea, Norway, France etc helps that. If they don't have anything to play for then young kids won't get to see them play and get interested in playing themselves. Hell, just having the opportunity of watching your team get embarrassed by Connor McDavid could be a cool experience in itself. Kids who wouldn't watch this tournament normally could tune in just to see their team play and in bonus get to see a lot of good NHLers play and get inspired.

It's pretty boring just to see the same couple of nations compete every year. Czech Republic, Slovakia, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland and Canada. It's always the same teams. Getting to see other teams is refreshing. It wasn't too long ago Germany or Switzerland were jokes but they've gotten a lot better recently. Denmark and France too are starting to produce some NHL talent. Even Norway and Latvia are getting better.
The problem I have with this is that a team like Italy wins div A almost every time they get relegated but they are not good enough to stay up. I lived there as a Swede for 10 years and they have good fans in Italy, but they lose interest quickly when the team is not in the top div.

They should just stop this automatic up/down system and let the worst in the elite div play the best in div A to see who gets to play with the top teams. That would be a world better for some teams in terms of having a consistent presence and building on it.

Edit: this year though the difference between good and bad teams is bigger than normally.

Reactions: Aerrol and Zaddy

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Speaking of which, Denmark just beat Finland.

Also, Larsson has started smiling on the bench, and chipped in offensively against Austria pretty often.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Watched the Danes beat Finland First viewing of Patrick Russell. Thought he looked like a decent bottom six PK type What’s the chances of him getting another shot in Bakersfield

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Speaking of which, Denmark just beat Finland.

Also, Larsson has started smiling on the bench, and chipped in offensively against Austria pretty often.

Man, I'm loving all the positive Larsson reports coming out of this. I hated the trade, but I hope I can be an example of a fan that doesn't hold that against Larsson. I like the player a lot, I just think we didn't get value.

I hope this tournament is a good start for a big rebound year for him (and the Oilers) next season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
:laugh:
I had to check Fin - Den results.

The biggest enemy is yourself. Don't get hurt, don't get cocky and wait for the quarter finals...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson, Klingberg, Lindholm after Larsson dangled in the o-zone for like 5-10 secs...

Screenshot_20180510-012607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edit: I suck at these things, if you want clean pics call someone else... I do youtube screenshots and that is it.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Disagree there was a time when the swiss were considered a joke , and now are producing solid nhl players , the more exposure nations have to hockey the better overall quality of the NHL gets better , many former NHL and pro players are coaching and instructing hockey all around globe , South Korea regulated Italy to be in this tourney , and I would not be surprised to see SK and China producing good NHL player in the next couple of decades

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Disagree there was a time when the swiss were considered a joke , and now are producing solid nhl players , the more exposure nations have to hockey the better overall quality of the NHL gets better , many former NHL and pro players are coaching and instructing hockey all around globe , South Korea regulated Italy to be in this tourney , and I would not be surprised to see SK and China producing good NHL player in the next couple of decades
Agree 100% on the Swiss, good example.
Korea did not relegate Italy, or am I missing something (very possible)? Italy was relegated automatically, same as thd last 10 years or so, and korea was promoted automatically.

By the way, you think Korea is a punching bag this year? Wait until you see the UK in the IIHF WHC next year.

Edit: there is a problem this year though, or at least until today when the Danes beat Finland :laugh:
Sorry Finland fans, you know I love you, and just a couple of years ago my Fin friends beat me up over Swe loss vs Norway in the WHC...

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Agree 100% on the Swiss, good example.
Korea did not relegate Italy, or am I missing something (very possible)? Italy was relegated automatically, same as thd last 10 years or so, and korea was promoted automatically.

By the way, you think Korea is a punching bag this year? Wait until you see the UK in the IIHF WHC next year.

Edit: there is a problem this year though, or at least until today when the Danes beat Finland :laugh:
Sorry Finland fans, you know I love you, and just a couple of years ago my Fin friends beat me up over Swe loss vs Norway in the WHC...
The bottom teams of the 2017 WC were regulated the Top teams in the divison below are promoted , same system they use in division soccer in UK Slovenia and Italy were regulated South Korea and Austria were promoted by winnig divison under the top 16, so South Korea took Slovenia position , but this is all good for hockey it keeps the hunger for teams to improve and be promted to top 16 teams in the world , there are now nations that joined IIHF that 20 years ago would never happen. The evolution of hockey is a good thing .

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The bottom teams of the 2017 WC were regulated the Top teams in the divison below are promoted , same system they use in division soccer in UK Slovenia and Italy were regulated South Korea and Austria were promoted by winnig divison under the top 16, so South Korea took Slovenia position , but this is all good for hockey it keeps the hunger for teams to improve and be promted to top 16 teams in the world , there are now nations that joined IIHF that 20 years ago would never happen. The evolution of hockey is a good thing .
100% agree

it's relegated though :D

Reactions: VainGretzky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->