German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is Yannik Valenti the next great upcoming German player?

Very hard to say at this point, but he has some pretty good bloodlines by German standards and had a monster year as a 13 year old.

Until we at least see what he does at the DNL level, it'll be hard to say just how phenomenal he is.

Keep an eye on him though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very hard to say at this point, but he has some pretty good bloodlines by German standards and had a monster year as a 13 year old.

Until we at least see what he does at the DNL level, it'll be hard to say just how phenomenal he is.

Keep an eye on him though.

Thanks Mr. Landvogt. Yeah I was going through German prospects and saw that he had around 11-13 less points than Leon Draisaitl and seeing if he has the same talent to be around a top 10 pick for the 2019 draft.

So there anyone else that could be labelled as the next best German prospect? That could be considered for the 2016, 2017, or 2018 draft? I remember Maverick41 saying that Gläßl was the next best, but basing only off stats it seems he had a poor to average year in Finland.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks Mr. Landvogt. Yeah I was going through German prospects and saw that he had around 11-13 less points than Leon Draisaitl and seeing if he has the same talent to be around a top 10 pick for the 2019 draft.

So there anyone else that could be labelled as the next best German prospect? That could be considered for the 2016, 2017, or 2018 draft? I remember Maverick41 saying that Gläßl was the next best, but basing only off stats it seems he had a poor to average year in Finland.

Valenti:
Not much to add to what Chapin Landvogt already said. It is worth noting though, since you bring up Draisaitl, that Valenti played against weaker competition but also with weaker teammates.

Gläßl:
I am still pretty high on Gläßl after watching him, albeit on a crappy stream, at the Under 17 WHC. I have read somewhere that he is going to play for Salzburg in the MHL will be interesting to see how he does there. I would still consider him a legit NHL prospect, but nowhere close to the 1st round.

Other prospects:
Probably the most promising prospect at the moment is Tobias Eder (2016 draft).
Scoutman had him ranked in the 2nd round in his "Early look 2016 draft" thread.
Another guy I am curious about although I have never seen him play is Niko Selivanov.

But there is really no Draisaitl on the horizon. Valenti might be legit, but it's way too early to tell.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Gläßl played on a quite low scoring team that played a strong team game, but didn't have lots of individual skill. Gläßl was fairly solid in the games that I saw him; nothing spectacular but he was pretty good in his own end and displayed some good skating abilities. Could improve his offensive game but showed some flashes of skill at times, however.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
New season is under way. The thread title is no longer up to date, but I have updated the tables on the first page. There may be a few additions and subtractions in the coming weeks.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
New season is under way. The thread title is no longer up to date, but I have updated the tables on the first page. There may be a few additions and subtractions in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to it!

Should be a bit of a season preview in the next week or so up at the main page.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Sorry, haven't seen him. They have had a lot of success with foreign youngsters in Södertälje, he's producing at a pretty good rate and he's got the size. Will keep an eye on him in the future.

How many levels are there of u16? Does this mean he is not playing in the highest division if he is playing D1 u16? His brother is quite tall so good chance young Magnus hits a growth spurt as well soon.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How many levels are there of u16? Does this mean he is not playing in the highest division if he is playing D1 u16? His brother is quite tall so good chance young Magnus hits a growth spurt as well soon.

U16 div1 (12 teams) is the name of the highest division in Stockholm before christmas. Then the league is split up where the 8 best teams form U16 Allettan. Eisenmenger's stats on eliteprospects are the point totals from both leagues. Here is the league page: http://stats.swehockey.se/ScheduleAndResults/Overview/5265 He has actually been playing with Hugo Leuvenius who is a member of the U16 national team.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Due to an highly increased workload in my job I was unable to keep this thread updated, but I have finally updated some of the stats, and will probably finish the whole update some time tomorrow.
I am working on a new system for me, that will hopefully allow me to do a better job next season. But I can't guarantee anything.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Do you think Wiederer is worth a pick? 29 games in the DEL seems pretty good for a draft eligible guy but he's not ranked by CSS.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Do you think Wiederer is worth a pick? 29 games in the DEL seems pretty good for a draft eligible guy but he's not ranked by CSS.

I was a little disappointed, that he wasn't ranked by CSS.
That said, I have only seen him play a few times, and while I mostly liked what I saw, there are a few things, that may keep him off the radar of NHL teams.
He is not a small kid (> 180 cm) but I doubt he will ever really fill out the way other players of the same height do. And I don't think his skill is outstanding enough to negate the concern about his size.
Maybe some team may take a chance on him in the 7th round, but I don't expect it.
A few years ago it was quite common to pick some German kid in the late rounds, guys like Constantin Braun, Robert Dietrich (R.I.P), Denis Reul, Jerome Flaake, Dominik Bielke, David Elsner, Konrad Abeltshauser and Mirko Höfflin were all taken in he 5th round or beyond, but the last couple of years there were no Germans picked in that range. Especially with kids still playing in Germany it seems to make much more sense to wait and see if they develop and then sign them as free agents. Sometimes that doesn't work out (Marcel Müller), sometimes it might (David Wolf).
Because most German players take a lot longer to develop.
Even the ones that make it to the NHL usually take a little longer to reach their prime.

By the way, another player I thought would make the CSS rankings but didn't was Jonas Müller. He had already been eligible for the 2014 draft, but he took a huge step in his development this season, and I would consider him a very interesting prospect.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I was a little disappointed, that he wasn't ranked by CSS.
That said, I have only seen him play a few times, and while I mostly liked what I saw, there are a few things, that may keep him off the radar of NHL teams.
He is not a small kid (> 180 cm) but I doubt he will ever really fill out the way other players of the same height do. And I don't think his skill is outstanding enough to negate the concern about his size.
Maybe some team may take a chance on him in the 7th round, but I don't expect it.
A few years ago it was quite common to pick some German kid in the late rounds, guys like Constantin Braun, Robert Dietrich (R.I.P), Denis Reul, Jerome Flaake, Dominik Bielke, David Elsner, Konrad Abeltshauser and Mirko Höfflin were all taken in he 5th round or beyond, but the last couple of years there were no Germans picked in that range. Especially with kids still playing in Germany it seems to make much more sense to wait and see if they develop and then sign them as free agents. Sometimes that doesn't work out (Marcel Müller), sometimes it might (David Wolf).
Because most German players take a lot longer to develop.
Even the ones that make it to the NHL usually take a little longer to reach their prime.

By the way, another player I thought would make the CSS rankings but didn't was Jonas Müller. He had already been eligible for the 2014 draft, but he took a huge step in his development this season, and I would consider him a very interesting prospect.
Thanks for your opinion! I noticed Müller played for Germany today vs Finland and had the team's highest ice time, which is impressive.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Simply put, can't see there being any interest in him.

I feel that Stefan Loibl, for example, is a better player and taller, but there'll be no interest in drafting him either.

Both were draft-eligible last summer, I believe.

Throw in the TREMENDOUS depth of this draft with tons of interesting overagers and well, can't really see any German being of interest this summer.

UNLESS someone has a BIG U18 tournament starting next week. That's about the only chance.

As you both have mentioned, Jonas Muller would have to be the kid garnering the most interest at this point - if any.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003

I feel that Stefan Loibl, for example, is a better player and taller, but there'll be no interest in drafting him either.

Throw in the TREMENDOUS depth of this draft with tons of interesting overagers and well, can't really see any German being of interest this summer.

UNLESS someone has a BIG U18 tournament starting next week. That's about the only chance.

As you both have mentioned, Jonas Muller would have to be the kid garnering the most interest at this point - if any.

from all the current draft eligible guys (including overagers) i'd say that tiffels has the best chance to make the NHL one day. developing very well in north america. it's a bit disappointing he wasn't ranked by CSS, but as a college kid getting drafted might not even be the best thing. i hope he can get his ELC somewhere after his 4 years at western michigan.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
from all the current draft eligible guys (including overagers) i'd say that tiffels has the best chance to make the NHL one day. developing very well in north america. it's a bit disappointing he wasn't ranked by CSS, but as a college kid getting drafted might not even be the best thing. i hope he can get his ELC somewhere after his 4 years at western michigan.

I feel exactly the same way about Tiffels.
The only other eligible player that has, I think, the same talent level is Kahun, but he has not progressed as well as Tiffels, but I believe he could still turn into a very good player.

Of the first time eligibles I like Julian Napravnik and Maximilian Gläßl the most.

The 2016 draft will be more interesting from a German standpoint, because Tobias Eder looks like he could turn into a prospect that might get picked anywhere from the late first round to the 4th round. I wonder if he will make the move to North America next season.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Wiederer is a late birthday and is first time eligible for this year's draft.

hockey8765

Oct 5, 2011
Can somebody give me his opinion on Simon Schütz Ev Resenburg Germany 3 ?

Seems good for a 17 years old ?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Came across Yannik Valenti while browsing EliteProspects, how impressive is it for a 13-year-old to lead the Scüler-BL in points?

Could he be the next big German prospect?

So he had 30 goals in 9 Schüler-BL games this year and 31 points in 30 DNL2 games. Time for him to join a better club?

Looks like he'll need to hit a growth spurt soon to be a potential NHL prospect though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->