German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
..and what about Bender and Toumie?

I have to admit that I forgot about Bender. I would put him with Tiffels as a guy who has a small chance at being drafted this year, but I think from those that were passed over last year, Kahun has the best shot.

Tuomie I can't really gauge at this moment. He was doing well in the NAHL, at least according to his stats. Although the number of shots he took sometimes bordered on ridiculous. But I think there aren't that many players that get drafted out of the NAHL. And now it seems that he has moved to the AWHL, a league that I know absolutely nothing about.
So I have no idea if this will improve his chances.
Other than that he was a bit disappointing at the WJC and I am sure it doesn't help him that he is so small. Compared to him Kahun looks big.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I have to admit that I forgot about Bender. I would put him with Tiffels as a guy who has a small chance at being drafted this year, but I think from those that were passed over last year, Kahun has the best shot.

Tuomie I can't really gauge at this moment. He was doing well in the NAHL, at least according to his stats. Although the number of shots he took sometimes bordered on ridiculous. But I think there aren't that many players that get drafted out of the NAHL. And now it seems that he has moved to the AWHL, a league that I know absolutely nothing about.
So I have no idea if this will improve his chances.
Other than that he was a bit disappointing at the WJC and I am sure it doesn't help him that he is so small. Compared to him Kahun looks big.

Thanks for your info about Toumie. It would be really strange, if he would go to the AWHL? Why on earth...?

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed about the stats of Kammerer, Eder (moved back to Germany), Eisenschmid and Sedlar....May be it is not in the right thread, but I was surprised about ignoring Hans Detsch for the U20 national team, since he is the U20-topscorer of DEL2:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44142

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks for your info about Toumie. It would be really strange, if he would go to the AWHL? Why on earth...?

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed about the stats of Kammerer, Eder (moved back to Germany), Eisenschmid and Sedlar....May be it is not in the right thread, but I was surprised about ignoring Hans Detsch for the U20 national team, since he is the U20-topscorer of DEL2:

I am still not entirely sure about this trade of Tuomie, since there has been no announcement on the Big Horns site, but he was removed from the Wenatchee roster, so I guess it'll only be a matter of time.

As for Detsch, I have never seen him play, but I noticed that he pretty much always put up solid offensive numbers. Usually one of the top scorers on his team.
This is purely speculation, but I would guess, that he just never was on the radar of the coaches. He has never represented Germany at any level before, as far as I know, and the usually like to stick to players that have previously played for the U16, U17 or U18 teams. But again this is just me guessing, there is absolutely no inside knowledge involved here.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I am still not entirely sure about this trade of Tuomie, since there has been no announcement on the Big Horns site, but he was removed from the Wenatchee roster, so I guess it'll only be a matter of time.

As for Detsch, I have never seen him play, but I noticed that he pretty much always put up solid offensive numbers. Usually one of the top scorers on his team.
This is purely speculation, but I would guess, that he just never was on the radar of the coaches. He has never represented Germany at any level before, as far as I know, and the usually like to stick to players that have previously played for the U16, U17 or U18 teams. But again this is just me guessing, there is absolutely no inside knowledge involved here.

Thanks for your comments. In general, I have the feeling that there are several players, who don't really get a chance in the U17, U18. Their problem is that they are not playing in the DNL, but seem to have DEL or DEL2 level. (occurs in teams such as Iserlohn, Crimmitschau, Augsburg..)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
For my part, I believe that only Draisaitl and Kahun will be drafted this summer.

If anyone else comes into contention, I'd tip on Moser and Bender, although I don't believe either is really on the map of a team willing to spend one of its 7 drafts picks on them.

It is Tuomie's draft year, but his size issues, the league he plays in, and the WJC he just had has me believing that there are simply far too many other interesting players out there for a team to use a draft pick on him.

Somebody could surprise, but I'm thinking that the teams know that with a lot of these boys from Germany, Denmark, Norway, Latvia, and even Switzerland and Slovakia, they can simply wait and see if they become of interest at some point within the next 3-6 years. If they do, they can be signed as a UFA.

However, it will be interesting to see what a guy like Eder can do at the U18. A big second half in junior and then a strong U18 could see him sneak into the draft fray...

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
For my part, I believe that only Draisaitl and Kahun will be drafted this summer.

If anyone else comes into contention, I'd tip on Moser and Bender, although I don't believe either is really on the map of a team willing to spend one of its 7 drafts picks on them.

It is Tuomie's draft year, but his size issues, the league he plays in, and the WJC he just had has me believing that there are simply far too many other interesting players out there for a team to use a draft pick on him.

Somebody could surprise, but I'm thinking that the teams know that with a lot of these boys from Germany, Denmark, Norway, Latvia, and even Switzerland and Slovakia, they can simply wait and see if they become of interest at some point within the next 3-6 years. If they do, they can be signed as a UFA.

However, it will be interesting to see what a guy like Eder can do at the U18. A big second half in junior and then a strong U18 could see him sneak into the draft fray...

I don't expect Eder to play much at the junior level. I think he will mostly play for the men's team in the Oberliga.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

This is getting really confusing. Now Tuomie is back with Wenatchee (played last night), and the trade notice in the transactions section is gone.
I'll keep an eye out for any changes.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I'm probably going to see Maximilian Glässl playing today, will share my thoughts here if he's in the lineup.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
So as I promised, here are my thoughts on Maximilian Glässl's playing:

It was a jr. B match between HIFK and Tappara. First I have to say that HIFK was awful and Tappara was much better. Score was 5-1 for Tappara. Glässl was playing pretty well though. He made some good passes and decisions with the puck in the game, he was quite efficient at both ends of the ice. He did a good job of keeping the puck in the offensive zone. He had some shots, but they weren't very good. All in all, Glässl had a decent game in my opinion.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So as I promised, here are my thoughts on Maximilian Glässl's playing:

It was a jr. B match between HIFK and Tappara. First I have to say that HIFK was awful and Tappara was much better. Score was 5-1 for Tappara. Glässl was playing pretty well though. He made some good passes and decisions with the puck in the game, he was quite efficient at both ends of the ice. He did a good job of keeping the puck in the offensive zone. He had some shots, but they weren't very good. All in all, Glässl had a decent game in my opinion.

Thanks for your insight.

That pretty much matches what I saw of him at the World U17 Hockey Challange, where I liked his decision making under pressure and was pleasently surprised to see him make some nifty passes. His shots however, while rather hard, often missed the target.

croAVSfan*

[size=+2]Non-German Players[/size]

F|Denis Matic|Schwenninger ERC U18|Jugend BL|Regular Season|11|2|5|7|2||1998-02-23|2016|Croatia|5'7''|123
F|Denis Matic|Schwenninger ERC U16|Schüler BL|Regular Season|6|2|6|8|4||1998-02-23|2016|Croatia|5'7''|123

Will play for Croatia at upcoming U18 WC D2A :)

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
German Selects (2000 born) have won first two games at World Selects tournament in Bratislava, Slovakia. The team has won Western Canada Selects 3-1 and Hungary 8-0. The next games will be against AK Bars, West Coast Selects and Austria. Edwin Schitz, Tim Fleischer and Tobias Möller all have three points thus far.

Here's the team page for German Selects: http://www.legacyglobalsports.com/page/show/1119205subseason=141011&tab=content

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
German Selects (2000 born) have won first two games at World Selects tournament in Bratislava, Slovakia. The team has won Western Canada Selects 3-1 and Hungary 8-0. The next games will be against AK Bars, West Coast Selects and Austria. Edwin Schitz, Tim Fleischer and Tobias Möller all have three points thus far.

Here's the team page for German Selects: http://www.legacyglobalsports.com/page/show/1119205subseason=141011&tab=content

9 players from Iserlohn??? Wow...Iserlohn should have a team in the DNL!

ocean

Jul 17, 2013
Currently Iserlohn pushes hard to enter the DNL. They have a "Agenda 2016" with the goals to rejoin DNL and to improve cooperations with the DEL-team and teams from the Oberliga.

In the last years many talented players left Iserlohn to play DNL (mostly in Düsseldorf and Krefeld, e.g. Kevin Reich or Kevin Orendorz) and then turned to pro-hockey later. The biggest problem is that there is only one ice rink and practice times are limited. Another ice rink would boost Iserlohn and is in discussion for many years but it is all about money.

But fortunately Iserlohn tries to focuss on their youth program more because since Collin Danielsmeier and Christian Hommel in 2000 there is only Dieter Orendorz who joined the DEL-team full-time in 2012 coming from the youth program in Iserlohn.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
9 players from Iserlohn??? Wow...Iserlohn should have a team in the DNL!

you know that this team is only a loose bunch of kids playing together? it could also be named iserlohn and friends. nothing serious. just a iserlohn coach with some kids getting experience in playing international competition.

hage

Mar 9, 2011
Came across Yannik Valenti while browsing EliteProspects, how impressive is it for a 13-year-old to lead the Scüler-BL in points?

Could he be the next big German prospect?

Those are very impressive numbers. He also played 10 games in his own age group and scored 40 points there. He had almost twice the points Draisaitl had at the same age, though Draisaitl played against tougher teams with Cologne when he was 13.

Still it's too early to tell whether he will turn out a good prospect, but one should definately keep an eye on him. It will be interesting to see what his plans are for the season after the next one. Kassel does not have a DNL team and if he wants to improve he'll have to go somewhere else. Mannheim seems likely since they have the best youth program in Germany and his dad is from that region and played for Mannheim himself.

Once more it shows that good hockey prospects from Germany these days often are the sons of former hockey professionals. Guess they grow up with more dedication to the sport and guidance from their parents then other kids. Plus good DNA :) Draisaitl, Kühnhackl, Tuomie, Latta and soon maybe Valenti

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Came across Yannik Valenti while browsing EliteProspects, how impressive is it for a 13-year-old to lead the Scüler-BL in points?

Could he be the next big German prospect?

His numbers are impressive, although Dennis Arnold put up huge numbers in the same league at that age and he has yet to produce at the next level (DNL).

You also need to take into account that there are 4 different Schüler BL groups.
First they are devided into North and South and while the South-group is then again divided into 2 more regional groups without any regard for the strength of the teams, the North-Group, where Valenti plays and Arnold used to play, is divided into 2 groups based on the quality of the teams. The 6 best teams play in Group A and the other 8 teams play in Group B. There is a relegation/promotion system in place between the 2 groups. Both Arnold and now Valenti put up their numbers in the weaker group B.

Again that is not to say Valenti won't turn into a great player, I have heard some very good things about his play, but the numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The draft was disapointing for German prospects

But that was not surprising. Kahun, Bender and Tiffels had been passed over before. Tuomie only played in the NAHL, Reich was all over the map last season. Eder moved back to Germany during the season. And who else was there that could even be considered?
There are really not any standout prospects on the horizon for Germany.
There are plenty of talented guys coming up who could become very good DEL players, but only very few (e.g. Glässl, T.Eder) seem to be good enough to turn into legit NHL prospects.

Bottom line is, it seems we are developing more good players but as always very few standouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad