German Prospects for the NHL Draft

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Markus Schweiger also plays for ESV Kaufbeuren (DEL 2).

I have a Problem with him, yes this Guy has speed and can handle the puck good. But his biggest weakness is his weight and size. When he gets into a Boardbattle or Physical Game, he loose the Puck.
I saw him playing now twice in Landshut and the Picture is always the same. IMO he is called up or allowes to early to play in a Men League, maybe good enough for EU Ice and Gameplay but not for the small ring NHL/AHL ICE i dont see it. Talent yes but Body limiting the High end.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I have a Problem with him, yes this Guy has speed and can handle the puck good. But his biggest weakness is his weight and size. When he gets into a Boardbattle or Physical Game, he loose the Puck.
I saw him playing now twice in Landshut and the Picture is always the same. IMO he is called up or allowes to early to play in a Men League, maybe good enough for EU Ice and Gameplay but not for the small ring NHL/AHL ICE i dont see it. Talent yes but Body limiting the High end.
Is he really 160 cm ? If yes respect for making it to the german U18 NT

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
this is not the current weight and size, but there is no question that he is not tall and heavy enough for a professional league. there are limits to his talent.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Is he really 160 cm ? If yes respect for making it to the german U18 NT

Yeah around 160-165 cm. When he stepped on the Ice you see him direct. The rest are all bigger then him.
Maybe respect yes, but speed is not everything. Speed brings you only the big advantage till you get your first serious Injurie.
With speedy Player its always the same procedure and its repeating all the Time. Sorry he is not able to controll the puck against physical battle, so what is he helping me when i only can use him on rush.

Oh i remember in the last Game in Landshut, he get checked pretty hard cause he doesnt expect the physical step up on him. For his Age and first ear pro still limited talent, thats early to tell.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Has anyone here seen Adrian Klein? Saw he signed a pro deal at 16.

I can't give you a scouting report, but he is one to watch and may have even been on the U18 team for this spring's WC, had it not been cancelled. That's only speculation.

Rest assured though that playing Oberliga hockey at the age of 16, as a defenseman no less, is usually a sign that you have some serious pro potential within Germany (a likely DEL future). It may also be a sign that the NHL lies somewhere in your future, but we'll know much better when he's 18.

His next few years will be very interesting to follow. Interestingly, because his BDay is on September 19th, he may actually be draft-eligible next summer, which would surely make him one of the youngest draft-eligible players in 2021.

Franz

Feb 10, 2020
Nürnberg‘s 2004 group was incredible in their 2018 Season. They had 5 Great Players with Kechter, Wolf, Hafenrichter, Konstanz and Fischer
They finished the Season With a total of 3 Loses

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Nürnberg‘s 2004 group was incredible in their 2018 Season. They had 5 Great Players with Kechter, Wolf, Hafenrichter, Konstanz and Fischer

I assume you mean the 18-19 team, although Wolf last played there in 17-18.

Kechter is the big name you mention and he'll be joining Rogle's junior team in Sweden as of next fall.

And I think you'd better served by mentioning Jiranek in that group over Konstanz.

Franz

Feb 10, 2020

Kechter is the big name you mention and he'll be joining Rogle's junior team in Sweden as of next fall.

And I think you'd better served by mentioning Jiranek in that group over Konstanz.
No I do mean the 17/18 season the last one from wolf.
Jiranek wasn’t a part of the team

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I did not get to watch them in the 17/18 season, but I saw them in the 18/19 season when they won the U15 championship. Wolf was no longer on that team, but I thought Frederik Weiß played really well in goal. For me the most notable skaters of that team were Roman Kechter, Leo Hafenrichter, Kevin Adam, Linus Brandl, and Maxim Fischer. I was also intrigued by Cameron Leask, but did not see enough of him to really judge his talent. He was also really young and not draft eligible until 2024 (late birthday in 2005).

Sounds like the team was also very impressive the year before. Too bad I could not see them then.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Very interesting about Kechter. I hope he continues to develop well and turns into a solid NHL level prospect.

Franz

Feb 10, 2020
I did not get to watch them in the 17/18 season, but I saw them in the 18/19 season when they won the U15 championship. Wolf was no longer on that team, but I thought Frederik Weiß played really well in goal. For me the most notable skaters of that team were Roman Kechter, Leo Hafenrichter, Kevin Adam, Linus Brandl, and Maxim Fischer. I was also intrigued by Cameron Leask, but did not see enough of him to really judge his talent. He was also really young and not draft eligible until 2024 (late birthday in 2005).

Sounds like the team was also very impressive the year before. Too bad I could not see them then.
Here is the link for the 2018 Del u14 Cup Wolf Played Almost every Game in This tournament
DEL U14 Cup - Stream

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not that it really matters much but it' s sort of hockey news.
The USHL has held its draft on May 4th and May 5th.

Dubuque selected Jakub Borzecki in the 6th round as the only German player taken.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not that it really matters much but it' s sort of hockey news.
The USHL has held its draft on May 4th and May 5th.

Dubuque selected Jakub Borzecki in the 6th round as the only German player taken.

Nonetheless very fascinating.

Borzecki does have US citizenship and hasn't played pro hockey yet. Could he be looking to go the college route?

BTW, he's currently actually ranked higher in Europe by ISS than i.e. Elias and Glotzl, although I think most all other publications have the latter higher than Borzecki.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Nonetheless very fascinating.

Borzecki does have US citizenship and hasn't played pro hockey yet. Could he be looking to go the college route?

BTW, he's currently actually ranked higher in Europe by ISS than i.e. Elias and Glotzl, although I think most all other publications have the latter higher than Borzecki.

Yes, I don't get those rankings. I don't think Borzecki is more skilled or more talented than Elias or Glötzl. I like him as a young player with long term potential and I could absolutely see him take the college route trying to follow in the footsteps of someone like Nico Sturm. But at this moment I view Elias and especially Glötzl as the better prospects. Too bad none of them had a chance to showcase their talent at the U18 WJC, which would certainly have affected the rankings.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yes, I don't get those rankings. I don't think Borzecki is more skilled or more talented than Elias or Glötzl. I like him as a young player with long term potential and I could absolutely see him take the college route trying to follow in the footsteps of someone like Nico Sturm. But at this moment I view Elias and especially Glötzl as the better prospects. Too bad none of them had a chance to showcase their talent at the U18 WJC, which would certainly have affected the rankings.

Yep, it's particularly the German kids who have really lost out by not having been able to strut their stuff at the U18.

It'll be fascinating to see if any team chances it with them nonetheless?

I'd have tipped on Elias going for sure anyway if he weren't 5'8".

Glötzl has some real size.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Borzecki has some power forward potential, it’s more projectable to the NHL level than Elias. I don’t think any of these guys will be drafted in the NHL though.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Borzecki has some power forward potential, it’s more projectable to the NHL level than Elias. I don’t think any of these guys will be drafted in the NHL though.

Yep, we're living in a day and age where scouts simply put guys like this in the books and then wait it out until they're free agents.

Either they establish themselves well in European pro circuits for a few straight years (see Kahun, now Bergmann) or they perhaps go the college route and get signed as free agents (see Michaelis, Sturm), but teams just do not really seem to be using draft picks on these kids.

Even with a number of North Americans who are drafted and then go back into the draft, they seem to rarely get drafted again, but rather the teams wait for them to become UFAs (by not being drafted a second time) and then snag them up, often just bringing them in on AHL contract.

In short, we should only expect Stützle, Reichel, and Peterka to be drafted. Maybe some team really likes Glotzl's long-term potential or has admired what an overager like Henrik Hane has done, but there are so many options out there that I'd be very surprised to see more than the big three get drafted.

The lack of a U18 WC was a prime reason for this.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Yep, we're living in a day and age where scouts simply put guys like this in the books and then wait it out until they're free agents.

Either they establish themselves well in European pro circuits for a few straight years (see Kahun, now Bergmann) or they perhaps go the college route and get signed as free agents (see Michaelis, Sturm), but teams just do not really seem to be using draft picks on these kids.

Even with a number of North Americans who are drafted and then go back into the draft, they seem to rarely get drafted again, but rather the teams wait for them to become UFAs (by not being drafted a second time) and then snag them up, often just bringing them in on AHL contract.

In short, we should only expect Stützle, Reichel, and Peterka to be drafted. Maybe some team really likes Glotzl's long-term potential or has admired what an overager like Henrik Hane has done, but there are so many options out there that I'd be very surprised to see more than the big three get drafted.

The lack of a U18 WC was a prime reason for this.
The Sharks were always a team that would reach for a German player and still have some in the fold. Bergmann and Wiederer there now. Abeltshauser in the pretty recent past. Maybe they take a crack at Max Glassl.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Sharks were always a team that would reach for a German player and still have some in the fold. Bergmann and Wiederer there now. Abeltshauser in the pretty recent past. Maybe they take a crack at Max Glassl.

You mean Max Glotzl.

Max Glassl is 23 and just finished his first full season of DEL hockey with the Straubing Tigers.

But the boys are basically the exact same size, so there's that.:)

You're right though. San Jose has often had a thing for German players and seem likelier than anyone to snag one of these kids in a later round. German company SAP is also basically the biggest sponsor and I think that can play a role.

And we can't forget that they picked Christian Erhoff back in the day (as well as Kai Hospelt).

If they grab one, I'd tip on Glotzl.

Sadly, SJS only has 4 picks in this draft. It's not the first time in recent years.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
You mean Max Glotzl.

Max Glassl is 23 and just finished his first full season of DEL hockey with the Straubing Tigers.

But the boys are basically the exact same size, so there's that.:)

You're right though. San Jose has often had a thing for German players and seem likelier than anyone to snag one of these kids in a later round. German company SAP is also basically the biggest sponsor and I think that can play a role.

And we can't forget that they picked Christian Erhoff back in the day (as well as Kai Hospelt).

If they grab one, I'd tip on Glotzl.

Sadly, SJS only has 4 picks in this draft. It's not the first time in recent years.
Yes Glotzl! Thanks

I actually named my first born son after Kai Hospelt...I went to the World Juniors and saw Hospelt playing as an underager and thought it was a cool name. The Sharks drafted Ehelechner from that team and have also had Patzold in the fold who was on that team as well. Long history with German's as you say.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I tried to remember all Germans that the Sharks have drafted over the years and then checked how many I missed (bolded are the ones I did not remember):

Manuel Wiederer
Konrad Abeltshauser
Dominik Bielke
Timo Pielmeier
Thomas Greiss - This one was embarrassing
Patrick Ehelechner
Kai Hospelt
Marcel Goc
Christian Ehrhoff
Dimitri Pätzold
Marco Sturm

That have to be the most Germans drafted by one team. Goc, Ehrhoff and Pätzold were selected in the same draft with the Sharks' first 3 picks

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Hey what is the word on Jakub Borzecki and Maksymilian Szuber? Borzecki was 64th in NHL central scoutings list for EU skaters, but what kind of players are these guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad