German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
He can't do more than score in bunches.
Florian Elias had a whopping 2 points in the Augsburg games.

The comparison lags. Florian Elias is a very good hockey player, but he is not a Stützle, Reichel or Peterka.

Unlike Stützle, he does not get always the best linemates.

He directs the game. He scores regularly, but for the few goalscoaring of his linemates, he can do nothing.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Got my first live viewing of Elias tonight and was really underwhelmed. He’s tiny and I didn’t see nearly enough skill or skating ability to make up for that.

Stützle, meanwhile, is insanely talented and at this point I’m sure he’ll be a top-15 NHL pick.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Moritz Seider:
Very cool to see him playing regularly in the DEL for Adler Mannheim. Does he also pass the eye-test at the DEL level for those that watch him?

Lukas Reichel:
I have never seen him play in person, but going by some of the praisings on this board I assumed he would put up way better numbers than 3g+11a in 13 games played. Only 4th best scorer on his own team. What is the issue here? Who are his linemates?

Tim Stützle:
Still tearing it up in the DNL as one of the youngest players in the league. Has 11g+22a in 13 games played and leads the scoring race already by 11 points.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
About Moritz Seider:
I saw his first couple of games in which he seemed a little too tentative at times and it was obvious he was not yet used to the more physical play.
I plan to watch the games this weekend. If he plays I'll share my impressions afterwards.

Out of curiosity I just took a look at his ice time through the games so far:

Game #TOI TotalTOI ESTOI PPTOI SH
112:5712:4800:0000:09
212:1111:2000:0000:51
3DNP
4DNP
505:1105:0600:0000:05
608:2708:0600:0000:21
710:5609:4100:0001:15
808:2608:2600:0000:00
912:2811:5000:1700:21
1016:0714:5400:0301:10
1111:5411:2800:2500:01
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Tim Stützle:
Still tearing it up in the DNL as one of the youngest players in the league. Has 11g+22a in 13 games played and leads the scoring race already by 11 points.

And Peterka keeping up the same pace in Czech U19s, so far 13 games and 14+18=32. Only his teammate Elis Hede comes any closer (his dad's German by the way, might he be eligible?).

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
And Peterka keeping up the same pace in Czech U19s, so far 13 games and 14+18=32. Only his teammate Elis Hede comes any closer (his dad's German by the way, might he be eligible?).

I am not sure, but I think he would have to play at least a couple of years in Germany. His dad is a dual citizen, but i don't think Elis is. He does count as an Austrian as far as import slots are concerned in the Austrian league.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So I watched Seider in the two games this weekend, and as one would expect from a rookie his age, there were positives and negatives in his game.
At times he got caught not moving his feet which made it easy for players coming at him with speed to fly past him. But for the most part he was really solid defensively. He was especially good at using his stick to separate opposing attackers from the puck.

He needs to get both a bit smarter and more assertive around his own net, clearing the crease and defending passes to the front of the net, but he is getting there. He was much better at it than he was in his first games.

It looks to me like he has not yet realised that he is bigger and even stronger than many of these grown men he is playing against. Still, he needs to work at hs core strength, because for guy his size he still gets knocked down a little too easy at times.

What absolutely stood out however, ist just how calm and poised he looks. Whether it's battling in the corner against two attackers, or with the puck on his stick and the opposing forechecker barelling down on him, he doesn't flinch, he doesn't panic, but instead makes the smart, simple plays to help his team.

The only moment I saw that resembled panic was when he lost his stick and failed to pick it back up a couple of times leaving his team shorthanded for a little while, as the other team had possession in Mannheim's defensive zone.

Offensively he showed some flashes that indicated that he has some upside there, too. He joined the rush when it made sense, but also immediately backed down and returned to his position on defense as soon as he noticed that his team might lose possession.

In the game on Sunday he played some significant minutes on the penalty kill and did a solid job. I was a little surprised to see him play on the left side a lot, but he seemed to switched to right side on occasion.

Overall I really like what I am seeing from him, but he still has lots of room for improvement and I don't think that this is just a case of a young player being more physically mature than his peers. There is some serious talent there. If he continues to work hard and develop Seider can become a special talent.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
At times he got caught not moving his feet which made it easy for players coming at him with speed to fly past him.

What absolutely stood out however, ist just how calm and poised he looks. Whether it's battling in the corner against two attackers, or with the puck on his stick and the opposing forechecker barelling down on him, he doesn't flinch, he doesn't panic, but instead makes the smart, simple plays to help his team.

Just highlighting the top positive and negative things that have stood out to me in the past as well. He occasionally gets caught flat-footed on rushes against, though I think that's due to decision-making rather than his skating. His skating is fine, he just takes a little too long to make a decision on whether to pinch or start retreating. This could really hurt him in the long run, because it's even more difficult to change than being a slow skater.

On the positive side, yes. His poise is without a doubt his standout attribute. It's incredible, especially at this age in this league.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
The two best german junior teams were facing each other. Scoring 6 points as one of the youngest players is a great result, no matter what.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Did you read the statistics or saw the game? The game was on a poor level and Stützle was not the next McDavid in this game.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
This was not Stützle`s fault. The best Players have left the league. He had great performances, but he did not have to work hard.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland

Sorry to split hair but he has citizenship but is he is not german. Just Finnish guy who played in Germany.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sorry to split hair but he has citizenship but is he is not german. Just Finnish guy who played in Germany.

Ethnic background isn't really a factor in Germany (anymore), if someone good enough is eligible then he should be pursued. I think it can be attractive also to some players who would consider a stronger national team their primary option but are unable to make it, in soccer this is obviously how many German-born and trained players ultimately end up playing for different national teams.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Ethnic background isn't really a factor in Germany (anymore), if someone good enough is eligible then he should be pursued. I think it can be attractive also to some players who would consider a stronger national team their primary option but are unable to make it, in soccer this is obviously how many German-born and trained players ultimately end up playing for different national teams.

Yes, I realize this, maybe i‘m just old fashioned but I prefer that players are tied to the country by ancestry rather than just working there. Maybe I need to update my point of view.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Generally speaking, players aren't considered for honorary citizenship if their national team representation would be on the youth level...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure, I don't mean handing over passports for that specific purpose, rather scouting players that already happen to have one even if they're not a part of the German youth system (yet). In soccer several federations like Poland and Turkey have scouts in Germany only for that purpose, of course in German hockey the resources are not the same but discovering someone like Kölzig is easily worth some investment.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kölzig was selected to play for Canada in juniors, but turned out to be ineligible as he had only German citizenship. Many years later his Washington teammate Stefan Ustorf found out about the situation and told about it to DEB, so they merely got lucky.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Kölzig was selected to play for Canada in juniors, but turned out to be ineligible as he had only German citizenship. Many years later his Washington teammate Stefan Ustorf found out about the situation and told about it to DEB, so they merely got lucky.

Yes I know this story, I just misunderstood your post.

"Kolzig's parents were German, which is why he had the German passport. He lived in Germany for only six months when he was a toddler before eventually moving to Edmonton, but said he never thought about getting his Canadian citizenship."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->