German Players in North America

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
What can you tell me about Tim Fleischer? Normally we don't see Germans go this high in the USHL draft.
Extremely smart two-way player. Outstanding hockey sense, great vision and playmaking, really smart on the forecheck, works extremely hard in all three zones. Has no standout skills but excels thanks to his smarts. Had plenty of USHL interest and is still an option for the CHL, but is planning to play in the USHL and NCAA.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Thank you for the reply. Cedar Rapids tryout camp is in a couple weeks so I hope he is in camp.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The NAHL-Draft was today. The only German who has been selected is:

1st round - 12th OA - Minnesota Magicians - Moritz Wirth (LD)

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The new season started last night (in the NAHL at least). Over the next few days I will add the skaters to the OP.

Reactions: Lauro

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Added the skaters to the OP.
I want to update it every day (if any games were played the previous night), but I don't know if that will work, but at the very least I will update it every Monday.

Reactions: Lauro

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Just going by some stats, it looks like Yannik Valenti (2 assists in 9 games) and Manuel Alberg (1 assist in 8 games) had some rough starts.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Valenti looked pretty good last night. Can't rely on his skill as much as he did in Germany, so he has to grind it out more and I think that's why it's been a little difficult for him so far. He got himself into scoring positions a lot and went to the net wide open many times but just wasn't getting passes, so I felt like it wasn't even his fault he didn't get more shots or even goals. But he obviously got his first one eventually:

I chatted with him after and he said it obviously felt good to finally get that first one in. Said he needed to adjust to the smaller ice surface and more physical style of play and that it's been difficult for him in those first games. But he's very happy in Vancouver and hopes things will start going his way more now.

Reactions: KahunWOW

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I think this is an intersting article on EP about Nico Sturm.

College dropout never an option for competitive Nico Sturm

From the article:
“The year I played in Austin was probably the most important year of my career, not just in terms of hockey player, but the coaches there taught me how to be a man,” Sturm said. “It was the first time I was away eight, nine months from home. First time standing on my own feet. It was tough at the start. I was fortunate enough to have them as coaches.”
The big step came when he was selected to play for the German World Junior team. “That was a huge confidence boost.”
Sturm said his time in Corpus Christi, which lasted three months, was where he going into a training routine and gained 20 pounds.
“We work out back home, but there were no specific workout goals. It’s just, you hit the gym,” Sturm said. “Just to give everything a purpose, that’s what I’ve learned. Workout with a purpose, skate with a purpose, come to the rink with a purpose — know exactly what you’re doing, where it’s gonna lead you. And I’m grateful for my experiences in junior hockey in general, not just on the ice.”

Reactions: smitty10

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Phase II of the USHL draft was today and Timo Bakos was selected by Sioux Falls in the 12th round.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So Lean Bergmann has signed with the Sharks.

Sharks Sign Forward Lean Bergmann

Will be interesting to see, if he will be loaned back to Mannheim for another season in the DEL or if he will be assigned to the AHL, assuming he doesn't make the Sharks roster out of camp.

Too bad Markus Eisenschmid is injured. That might hurt his chances to be signed by a NHL team.

Last edited:

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Too bad with Eisenschmid, I really liked his game at the WCs. The way he played, he looked like a NHL player imho. When he crashed into the boards, it looked really bad the way his arm bent. As for Bergmann, I think it's a good signing for SJ. Let's see if he can continue to impress at the next level, which should in his case be the Barracuda. I doubt he will make the big club just yet, but I am rooting for the guy.

Reactions: Maverick41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->