German Players in CHL

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
Hi Guys,
I am half-German and always tend to follow the progress of young German players. It seems like there are many heading over to play Jr. in Canada this year. I was wondering if someone more up to date could tell me which players are playing where.
Thanks in Advance!

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Not sure if all of them will make the final roster, but last time I checked eight (nine) Germans play major junior.

OHL:

Tom Kühnhackl (Windsor)
Tobias Rieder (Kitchener)
Philipp Grubauer (Kingston)
Nickolas Latta (Sarnia)

( Björn Krupp (Belleville) , half German, half American, plays for the USA in international competition )

WHL:

Bernhard Keil (Kamloops)
Marcel Noebels (Seattle)

QMJHL:

Konrad Abeltshauser (Halifax)
Mirko Höfflin (Quebec)

I can't remember a time where that many Germany played major junior, much less played an important role. A few years back, four or five Germans were playing at the same time, but only one or two of them did anything major. Now at least four guys should play an important role, if not more.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sanderson, do you know why David Elsner didn't come over to North America? From what I've heard his style of game would do very well over here. Did he not declare for the CHL draft or was he not taken?

I've heard that Nashville drafted him as a bottom 6 player that is a hard hitter and collects garbage goals. I think that would be complimented very well in the OHL or WHL, especially with his size.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I don't think you have to declare for the Import draft, you are automatically eligible. Elsner simply wasn't drafted.

No idea whether that is due to lack of interest or whether he didn't want to leave Germany this year.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I think he's without a team right now. At least that was the last thing I read about him.

He certainly isn't with Sudbury anymore, because they already have two foreigners in Kuchin and Pöck.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think he's without a team right now. At least that was the last thing I read about him.

He certainly isn't with Sudbury anymore, because they already have two foreigners in Kuchin and Pöck.

Maybe he's with Riga's jr team or looking for a team back in Germany?

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Maybe he's with Riga's jr team or looking for a team back in Germany?

he's definitely not in germany, which is why i assumed he's still over in NA. i don't think riga is an option for him, he wanted to make it in NA. i guess we have to wait.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
he's definitely not in germany, which is why i assumed he's still over in NA. i don't think riga is an option for him, he wanted to make it in NA. i guess we have to wait.

Well he is definately in Germany right now, on a tryout with Wolfe Freiburg. Is he eligible to play in the WJC this year with Germany? He'd add some nice size down the middle. Also, I believe that Dinamo Riga is an option for him because they took him in the KHL draft. I doubt he'd make the main team though.

http://www.ehcf.de/index2.php?action=item&id=4263

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Well he is definately in Germany right now, on a tryout with Wolfe Freiburg. Is he eligible to play in the WJC this year with Germany? He'd add some nice size down the middle. Also, I believe that Dinamo Riga is an option for him because they took him in the KHL draft. I doubt he'd make the main team though.

http://www.ehcf.de/index2.php?action=item&id=4263

now he is, but he wasn't before. i have a solid overview on rosters in germany. ;)

he's not yet eligible, because of his games for latvia. i think he has to wait 3 more years.

Rizer

Apr 30, 2010
blowmeuptom.com
I'd like to add to the OHL list that Alain Berger, a Swiss player plays for the Oshawa Generals in the OHL. German is spoken in Switzerland and I often consider German/Austrian/Swiss players to be "Germanic" since they all speak the same language or slight variations there of.

Just thought I'd add that in case you wanted to keep an eye on him as well.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I'd like to add to the OHL list that Alain Berger, a Swiss player plays for the Oshawa Generals in the OHL. German is spoken in Switzerland and I often consider German/Austrian/Swiss players to be "Germanic" since they all speak the same language or slight variations there of.

Just thought I'd add that in case you wanted to keep an eye on him as well.

you are stepping on a dangerous field :laugh:

Germans are Germans, Austrian are Austrians and Swiss are Swiss.

you have Swiss French (Yannick Weber, Thibault Monnet), Swiss italians (Inti pestoni or Sandro Bertaggia) and Swiss Germans (Alain Berger, Nino, Bartschi, Streit or Hiller)

Group them by country :teach:

We love each other and have good neighborhood ties ... and language ties ... sure. And when in a foreign country, it is good to see a person speaking the same language. But We remain from different nations. ;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
We love each other and have good neighborhood ties ... and language ties ... sure. And when in a foreign country, it is good to see a person speaking the same language. But We remain from different nations. ;)

i can only speak for myself, but every swiss (and austrian) hockey player who develops into a good player is a win for hockey in central europe. and the improvement in switzerland, not only for NHL talent, but also the NLA, is a good thing for german hockey too since they have something to copy. the rivalry works for both sides and whenever one side takes a step, the other side wants to follow.

so one could say that we all sit in the same boat. ;)

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
i can only speak for myself, but every swiss (and austrian) hockey player who develops into a good player is a win for hockey in central europe. and the improvement in switzerland, not only for NHL talent, but also the NLA, is a good thing for german hockey too since they have something to copy. the rivalry works for both sides and whenever one side takes a step, the other side wants to follow.

so one could say that we all sit in the same boat. ;)

Nicely said.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I didn't mean hurting you guys by saying : i am not German ... But i know that NA guys sometimes imagine that we are about the same country ! (a bit like some of us can generalize Canadians and Americans ... ) for some of them if we talk the same language ... we may be of the same nation ... . No intention to harm or to discriminate in any case !

OK guys, then you can add : (swiss players in junior NA ligue )

WHL
Nino Niedereiter (Portland Winterhawks)
Sven Bartschi (Portland Winterhawds)
Dave Sutter (Seattle thunderbirds)

OHL
Dario Trutman (Plymouth Walers)
Alain Berger (Oshawa Generals)
Lino Marchini (Peterborogh)

QMJHL
Dominik Schlumpf (Shawinigan Cataractes)

Possibly i forgot some. These are the ones scoring and having a good role in their team.

Last edited:

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
So Niederberger and Elsner were picked in the import draft, anyone else?

#25 Barrie Colts Mathias Niederberger (G)
#34 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds David Elsner (F)
#38 Acadie-Bathurst Titan Nicolas Krämmer (LW)
#46 Oshawa Generals Sebastian Uvira (F)
#51 Everett Silvertips Dominik Bittner (D)

same amount as in 2010 and 2007.

niederberger will report to barrie. elsner seems to be a lock too. krämmer was rumored, but i haven't heard anything official yet. uvira signed with augsburg recently, but seems to have an outclause for NA. bittner's plans i don't know.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Danke.
Immerhin hätte Krämmer mit Hoefflin ja noch einen Deutschen da, vielleicht macht ihm das die Entscheidung leichter.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
#25 Barrie Colts Mathias Niederberger (G)
#34 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds David Elsner (F)
#38 Acadie-Bathurst Titan Nicolas Krämmer (LW)
#46 Oshawa Generals Sebastian Uvira (F)
#51 Everett Silvertips Dominik Bittner (D)

same amount as in 2010 and 2007.

niederberger will report to barrie. elsner seems to be a lock too. krämmer was rumored, but i haven't heard anything official yet. uvira signed with augsburg recently, but seems to have an outclause for NA. bittner's plans i don't know.

I wonder if the Freezers will try to get Krammer to stick around here in Germany?

Some aspects of Uvira's game are made for North America. I think if he goes over, he could have pretty much the same path to being drafted that Noebels took.

I think it would be 'best' for Bittner to see if he can make an impact in the CHL, if he has any NHL hopes. San Jose did not maintain his rights.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I wonder if the Freezers will try to get Krammer to stick around here in Germany?

it sounded like krammer won't play in hamburg anyway. either going back to landshut (on loan maybe?) or NA.
i personally think hamburg is a bad team for any young player at the moment. the whole freezers franchise could need some success. i won't say it's their final chance, but it's quite obvious that only success can help them to survive. and in this situation with so much pressure, no coach will try to develop young players. he will always play veterans over kids.
so if krammer has a chance to play in NA, i think he should try.

I think it would be 'best' for Bittner to see if he can make an impact in the CHL, if he has any NHL hopes. San Jose did not maintain his rights.

is it possible that you mean bielke and not bittner? ;)

bittner will likely play in heilbronn again. i really doubt he gets a chance in mannheim. another player i'd rather see in the CHL than in germany2.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I think Hamburg intended to loan him somewhere anyway. He's supposed to be someone for the future, not necessarily immediate help, so I don't think they will say anything against a move to the QMJHL. On the contrary, I could imagine they supported the idea of a move to North America.

As of right now, Krämmer would be forward no. 13 or 14 in Hamburg. I guess he would see some icetime over the course of the season, but not necessarily the icetime he needs at this age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->