International: German Junior National Teams

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
USHL season still going on.

And his team will be in the playoffs. Whereas Mathias Emilio Petersen got to play for Norway eventhough the USHL was still going, but his team was out of the playoff hunt at that point, so I guess that is the difference.

I really wish I knew why our teams are so often playing well and getting decent results in various exhibition tournaments, but when it really counts they alway disappoint.

Also I cannot detect even the slightest semblance of a game plan, especially on defense. Are these kids being coached at all?

I did not watch a whole lot of the mess today, but I did watch the first two games, and so far my sole bright spot was Moritz Seider, who really stood out to me against Norway.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
At this point Seider has much more potential.

I agree. Gawanke should be somewhat ahead in his development given that he is 2 years older, and a pretty good player, but unless Seider's development stalls badly he should be able to surpass Gawanke, who I think might reach a similar level as Abeltshauser, a really good player in the DEL and for the national team, but not quite good enough for the NHL.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
U18 with a 10-0 win against Hungary today.

Bokk with 4g 2a today and leading scorer of the tournament now.

Fischer with 2g 4a today.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
U18 with a 5-4 loss to Denmark. They finished the tournament in 2nd last place just ahead of Hungary, despite scoring the most goals of all teams.

Strong showing from Bokk with 7 goals and 3 assists in 5 games.
Back to being a 1st rounder in 2018 draft ;)

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
U18 with a 5-4 loss to Denmark. They finished the tournament in 2nd last place just ahead of Hungary, despite scoring the most goals of all teams.

Strong showing from Bokk with 7 goals and 3 assists in 5 games.

To be honest, I'm not satisfied with Bokk's performance. 6 out of his 10 Points were scored against Hungary which was by far the weakest Team at the tournament.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Are you going by stats or did you watch him play?
I think he can only do so much when there is something very obvious wrong with that team. In that way I am happy that he was the best goalscorer of the tournament. But I agree, it would have been nice if he scored big against France too.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
To be honest, I'm not satisfied with Bokk's performance. 6 out of his 10 Points were scored against Hungary which was by far the weakest Team at the tournament.

4 points in 4 games then, not exactly bad. Especially against competition year older then him.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
4 points in 4 games then, not exactly bad. Especially against competition year older then him.

True. But regarding the "year older than him" part as well as KahunWOW's comment...

...Potential first-rounders often play in the top division of the U18 worlds a year early. Some of the potential top-five picks even play at the U20 at 17 (i.e. Rasmus Dahlin), and for top teams. Bokk is still far, far away from that level; even from being a second-rounder.

I agree with Miric:

Bokk has had several four, five or six-point games in the DNL this season as well. But he has had just as many games where he completely disappeared.

Bokk will be in the CHL, likely OHL, next season and I'm sure he'll be solid there eventually. But I'm also sure he'll need at least half a season to get going and get used to the higher level of play.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
I am not sure how far away he really is. I have seen some exceptionnel plays from him and it is not his fault that Germany is only in Division II. But consistency is indeed somewhat of an issue as well as taking stupid penalties.

But lets don't forget Bokk is a winger and not a center. It is a lot tougher to dominate every game from the wings...

One day Drai will feed Bokk :)

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
As far as I am aware, the only tournaments left this season (with German teams participating) are the Men's World Championship and the Girls U16 European Championship.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Ok so prospect-wise there is the NHL Draft and the CHL Import Draft.

Any guesses on where Bokk will get drafted in the CHL? I will take a guess and say 7th overall. (Draisaitl was drafted 2nd place in 2012 for comparisons).

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Any guesses on where Bokk will get drafted in the CHL? I will take a guess and say 7th overall. (Draisaitl was drafted 2nd place in 2012 for comparisons).

The CHL Draft is incredibly hard to predict unless you have inside knowledge of the teams. The best players are not necessarily drafted very early, because very often the top players have deals in place with the teams that pick later in the round.

That is how certain CHL teams always end up with some of the most highly touted prospects from Europe, even if they don't have an early pick.

The next date of interest for me is the USHL Draft in a couple of weeks.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il

Both Ugbekile and Bokk will probably go first round + a couple of random players later on. The Import draft is usually an educated guess for teams. Gawanke was drafted in the 2nd round while Schiemenz was drafted first, it's not exactly skill based.

^USHL draft could See a few overaged players get drafted, but just like the CHL draft.... it's basically anyone's guess who actually goes.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
The CHL Draft is incredibly hard to predict unless you have inside knowledge of the teams. The best players are not necessarily drafted very early, because very often the top players have deals in place with the teams that pick later in the round.

That is how certain CHL teams always end up with some of the most highly touted prospects from Europe, even if they don't have an early pick.

The next date of interest for me is the USHL Draft in a couple of weeks.

This. London and Halifax get some of the top imports every year no matter where they pick, because they talk to the players and agents let other teams know they won't report to them. It's stupid, but that's how it works there.

Bokk, for example, wants to play in the Ontario league, not the dub or Q. And I'm fairly certain his agent has let teams know that so that Bokk ends up in the OHL. I know Kitchener and Barrie are among interested teams.

Stachowiak has interest from a few teams in the dub, I'm not sure about other leagues.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This. London and Halifax get some of the top imports every year no matter where they pick, because they talk to the players and agents let other teams know they won't report to them. It's stupid, but that's how it works there.

Bokk, for example, wants to play in the Ontario league, not the dub or Q. And I'm fairly certain his agent has let teams know that so that Bokk ends up in the OHL. I know Kitchener and Barrie are among interested teams.

Stachowiak has interest from a few teams in the dub, I'm not sure about other leagues.
Wait so if the situation with Stachowiak is that he played for Poland 2 years ago and that was a cap tie, and then he goes to the CHL after only two season so he wouldn't satisfy the 4 years of contiguous domestic participation required for nationality transfer, I mean how would this all work in a way that would allow him to represent?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Wait so if the situation with Stachowiak is that he played for Poland 2 years ago and that was a cap tie, and then he goes to the CHL after only two season so he wouldn't satisfy the 4 years of contiguous domestic participation required for nationality transfer, I mean how would this all work in a way that would allow him to represent?

Good question, I don't know. Perhaps it's all about formalities, the games he played for that USNTDP-type Poland team don't actually count as representing Poland, and they just didn't get it done in time. Even if that's not the case and he would jeopardise his chance to represent Germany by going to the CHL, I think he'd still do it. No. 1 priority is probably to play professionally, if possible in the NHL, and you almost can't get there without playing in the CHL first.

I might try to touch base with his agent sometime and see what's really going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->