International: German Junior National Teams

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
From the information I´ve got Moritz Seider and Tobias Ancicka are going to play for the u18 team.
Manuel Alberg and Nino Kinder for u17.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I updated the OPs accordingly.

I was surprised to see Tobias Ancicka and Moritz Seider on the rosters for the U18 when they could play U16. Moving up 2 years is pretty rare.
Dominik Bokk, Alexander Dersch (both U18), Manuel Alberg and Nino kinder (both U17) move up 1 year each.

I am a little confused that quite a number of players are listed at different positions (mostly defense instead of forwards) than in their club teams.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I updated the OPs accordingly.

I was surprised to see Tobias Ancicka and Moritz Seider on the rosters for the U18 when they could play U16. Moving up 2 years is pretty rare.

I saw Seider in Düsseldorf last weekend. Holy ****. Pretty sure I'm the only person on the hype train so far, but you are welcome to join. Man is he good at just 15. Easily Mannheim's top D-man.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I saw Seider in Düsseldorf last weekend. Holy ****. Pretty sure I'm the only person on the hype train so far, but you are welcome to join. Man is he good at just 15. Easily Mannheim's top D-man.

Since I only get to follow their stats, with the exception of the occasional game I catch on a stream, I am always very cautious not to get too excited about players that make it on my radar.
The first time I noticed Seider, or I should say his stats, was in the 2014/15 season before he made the move to Mannheim and was playing for Erfurt. But back then he was just one of these guys excelling against weak competition (Schüler BL Nord Gruppe B) and you couldn't be sure if he would be able to bring it once he moved on to a higher level.
I've seen several players in the past and present sort of fizzle out when they made that move (Dennis Arnold and Christian Bauhof come to mind). But it's good to see that Seider and als Nino Kinder have actually made a very smooth transition.

I am really glad to hear people, who have actually seen these kids play, confirm what their numbers suggest. And I gladly jump on that hype train with you.

I really wish I had a decent team closer to where I live, and a job with regular hours that would allow me to go to junior games on the weekends.
Though I shouldn't really complain about my job, as much as it sucks that I have to be available on weekends, these flexible hours allow me to spend a lot of time on whatever I want to do, whenever I don't have anything in particular to do. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to spend so much time on the internet looking up and collecting stats on our junior hockey players. So its a blessing and a curse as far as my passion for German hockey prospects is concerned.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I am really glad to hear people, who have actually seen these kids play, confirm what their numbers suggest. And I gladly jump on that hype train with you.

I've only seen Seider three times now, but that's usually good enough to get an idea of what a player is like. And Seider is one of the more impressive players in the DNL already.

Strengths:
- plays physically despite age and lowish weight
- terrific lateral mobility, walks the line better than anyone I've seen in the DNL
- solid speed with the puck, can carry it up ice
- good vision, sees openings and plays accurate breakout passes

Weaknesses:
- Skating:
This is a little odd because I listed skating as a strength as well. Seider is a perfect example for the many aspects about skating and that it isn't always as easy as to say "he's a good skater." At times he looks a bit slow backwards which can cause trouble when he's the last defender. His movements can also look choppy sometimes. But despite that, he has a strong stride, solid speed, and great mobility.

I think Seider might be the most promising German defenceman right now. To be fair, I haven't seen Gawanke play; but of DNL D-men right now, I believe Seider is the most promising. Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in the 2018 CHL Import Draft.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I've only seen Seider three times now, but that's usually good enough to get an idea of what a player is like. And Seider is one of the more impressive players in the DNL already.

Strengths:
- plays physically despite age and lowish weight
- terrific lateral mobility, walks the line better than anyone I've seen in the DNL
- solid speed with the puck, can carry it up ice
- good vision, sees openings and plays accurate breakout passes

Weaknesses:
- Skating:
This is a little odd because I listed skating as a strength as well. Seider is a perfect example for the many aspects about skating and that it isn't always as easy as to say "he's a good skater." At times he looks a bit slow backwards which can cause trouble when he's the last defender. His movements can also look choppy sometimes. But despite that, he has a strong stride, solid speed, and great mobility.

I think Seider might be the most promising German defenceman right now. To be fair, I haven't seen Gawanke play; but of DNL D-men right now, I believe Seider is the most promising. Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in the 2018 CHL Import Draft.

First off, thank you for the assessment of Seider's game.
Funny enough Gawanke is actually a player I have seen a few times (mostly with the national teams) and every time I saw him I was more impressed.

At this moment Gawanke is obviously a better player than Seider since he is a couple of years older and very talented in his own right, but I would not be surprised if Seider surpassed him in a few years. That is if he continues to develop well, because Gawanke's development, as far as I can tell, has been really strong and steady. And it appears it is continuing and possibly improving in Cape Breton.

I am really curious if or when Seider makes the move to North America, because I think that is still the best way to go for our most talented players, granted they can manage to get decent minutes.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
On the topic of German defense, I was able to take advantage of the free live streams of the USHL this week and watch Ugbekile.

Strengths
-was able to use his stick extremely well, broke up many passes, and was able to break up plays well
-Skating. he good be better but I like his movement and hustle on plays. He's very fast but he still isn't eligible until next year.
-A few times he took the puck and was able to protect it from fore checkers very well.
- He is tenacious, he looks to be a pain to play against. Always pushing his man, pinning players, he could still get stronger though.
- He was one of Des Moines main PKers

Weakness
-Not on Power Play
-Pretty weak shots
- Wish he could clear the puck better sometimes, needs to get it off the ice. :laugh:
-Sometimes lost a man, and was late to get back when he joined the rush.

I can assure you Maverick he is an absolute pleasure to watch. Just want to here more about Pasanen.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
OPs updated with the games of U19, U18 and U17 so far.

U17 is currently playing Solvakia. Down 1-2 after the 1st. All goals by both teams were scored on the PP.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Alberg was surprisingly the top scorer.

This kid is weird. Whenever I hear people talk about him after they saw him play, they aren't really impressed with him. Yet somehow he keeps scoring at every level.

I can't wait to see him play myself to see what the lack of hype is about. :laugh:

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Dominik Bokk playing against competitive competition, and was the best forward of the tournament. Looks if he goes on the right track I could see him late 1st round to 3rd round next year.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
This kid is weird. Whenever I hear people talk about him after they saw him play, they aren't really impressed with him. Yet somehow he keeps scoring at every level.

I can't wait to see him play myself to see what the lack of hype is about. :laugh:

Haha:D. I saw him a couple times at both Schüler Bundesliga and DNL and I can say that he really impressed me. His biggest strength is his speed which he uses extremely well in the game. I hope he keeps developing like this.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
U18 lost 1-0 in OT against Denmark and 3-2 against France. Goals by Appendino and Streu. Bokk had an assist, Reichel pointless, Stachowiak hasn't played yet.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
GER U16 - ITA U16 3-1 (SOG: 44-7)

1-0 Manuel Alberg (Elias Linder, Niklas Heyer)
1-1 Daniel Gellon (Yuri Cristellon, Samuel Payra)
2-1 Simon Gnyp
3-1 Filip Reisnecker (Dustin Reich)

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
"Highlights" from the U16 game against Italy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOculWJ8lQ

It's only the goals, so not really highlights, which should include scoring chances and saves, but since you rarely get any decent videos from such tournaments I am glad we get this.

And here are the Highlights from the loss to Denmark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCjGIw5ZniU

This video includes interviews with the coaches (I think, I didn't really watch or listen to that part) and the game video starts at 6:01. The video also has English commentary.

Alberg scored with a nice backhand top shelf after a nifty move to beat the defender.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
U18 lost the tournament opener 4-2 vs France. Goals by Knobloch and Appendino, both on the PP.

http://wm18ia2017.iihf.com/en/games/2017-04-07/FRA-vs-GER/#game-actions-tab

That was a really disappointing performance against a good French team.
Not a single player really impressed me. Bokk and Schiemenz had a couple of nice moments but weren't really dominant.

I had to check in the 3rd period whether Reichel was even playing.

Seider was alright considering his age.

Knobloch was the only guy who was better than I expected and that was mostly due to my low expectations for him.

Also didn't like the refs. They involved themselves too much into the game for my taste. Not that they favoured one team over the other. But their attitude and demeanor bothered me for some reason. But maybe I am overreacting.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The U16 team came back from 0-3 to beat Switzerland 4-3 and made the final of the tournament in Denmark, where they will face either Denmark or Norway.

Kevin Slezak scored two goals.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Slezak scored only one goal. The actual goal was scored by Kinder or Alberg I am not sure.

Edit: Kinder scored the goal After a cross ice pass from Alberg.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Slezak scored only one goal. The actual goal was scored by Kinder or Alberg I am not sure.

Edit: Kinder scored the goal After a cross ice pass from Alberg.

Wow. I was hesitant to correct it, because everywhere I looked they listed Slezak as the goal scorer. But I just saw the highlights and you are absolutely right and I have no idea how they could have messed that up.

Here are the highlights for the semifinal vs. Switzerland:

And here are the highlights from the final vs. Norway:

A couple of beautiful goals for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->