German football 2019/2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going to change my mind and say Bayern wins the league this season. I think we have the better squad, but they have the better manager.

Favre has not shown an ability to win trophies at any of his last four jobs. He's a good manager, but he showed last year that his teams are bad front-runners. He turtles too quickly and reverts to defensive football. He lost us the title in a few of those games late last season where we had late leads, and he immediately turned to defensive football, and lost points because of it. He did the same thing after a good first half in the first leg at Spurs last season in the Round of 16 of the CL. His teams are good when they play from behind. He has a penchant for having his subs work out very well, but some of that seems to be fortune instead of smart tactical decisions.

Yesterday was a good example. Hakimi should've started this game. He brings him on late, but it should've been for Piszczek who was on a yellow, and is getting up there in age. Instead, he takes off Schulz. Piszczek delivers the game winning assist to Hakimi. You have to credit Favre for that, but to what degree? It would be easier to credit the decision if it made initial sense.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I'm going to change my mind and say Bayern wins the league this season. I think we have the better squad, but they have the better manager.

Favre has not shown an ability to win trophies at any of his last four jobs. He's a good manager, but he showed last year that his teams are bad front-runners. He turtles too quickly and reverts to defensive football. He lost us the title in a few of those games late last season where we had late leads, and he immediately turned to defensive football, and lost points because of it. He did the same thing after a good first half in the first leg at Spurs last season in the Round of 16 of the CL. His teams are good when they play from behind. He has a penchant for having his subs work out very well, but some of that seems to be fortune instead of smart tactical decisions.

Yesterday was a good example. Hakimi should've started this game. He brings him on late, but it should've been for Piszczek who was on a yellow, and is getting up there in age. Instead, he takes off Schulz. Piszczek delivers the game winning assist to Hakimi. You have to credit Favre for that, but to what
degree? It would be easier to credit the decision if it made initial sense.

After two games! LOL.
Newbies like Köln or Paderborn use to collect points in the first half of the season and many of them collapse later. Many of the established teams drop points due to the fact they have to intergrate new plaver and have to adjust to a new system.
I wounld't be concerned if I was a Dortmund supporter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That Schalke bench today is woeful. How the slightly-mighty have fallen. No wonder they aren't any good when they only have 12 or 13 viable players in their squad.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Following our 1st point in the top flight; our u19s set a club record with their 13-0 victory today...a win which included a brace from the highly touted (by our youth coaches, not saying he's a NT prospect) Laurenz Dehl and takes us to 2nd in the A-Junioren BuLi Nord/Nordost on GD.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In other news Dortmnd's u18 player Moukoko scored 3 in 8 minutes.

At this point I don't even pay attention to the video game #s he puts up; they're so surreal that you can't even really learn anything from what he's doing at that level other than that "he's special" :laugh:

Can't wait to see his game against men once he's old enough to play senior team football.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
At this point I don't even pay attention to the video game #s he puts up; they're so surreal that you can't even really learn anything from what he's doing at that level other than that "he's special" :laugh:

Can't wait to see his game against men once he's old enough to play senior team football.
Well, I've watched some yt videos of him. He is pretty good at 14yo, but I haven't seen many breathtaking actions. Yes, we need to wait until he plays against men.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, I've watched some yt videos of him. He is pretty good at 14yo, but I haven't seen many breathtaking actions. Yes, we need to wait until he plays against men.

You didn't catch any of their U17 matches last season? He's a constant danger at youth levels.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You didn't catch any of their U17 matches last season? He's a constant danger at youth levels.
Yeah every time I've seen him you can tell he's special. He isn't one of those prototypical athletes that are just way more developed than their peers at an early age...he's got an excellent read of the game, seems two footed and has a ton of composure/confidence to go along with his skill. He isn't even that fast really but his movement and timing are impeccable.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
No, I haven't. I watched something like this:

Of course he is a special player and it's impressive how dominant he is as an underager among 17.18yo.
But be (probably) won't be able to muck around Bundesliga defenders like he does with those poor boys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What I can't figure out is how he scores at such a crazy rate. He's probably going to be very good and a top 20-30 striker in the world, as long as he doesn't bust. Most of the prodigy strikers were not scoring at anywhere near the rate that Moukoko was. Some of it is that he plays in a very good academy with a lot of lopsided scores, but it's not like he's the first player to ever play in a very good academy that wins a lot of games by lopsided scores. Moukoko still has found a way to score at nearly double the rate that any of the current top 20-30 strikers in the game did at youth level, and he's done it against higher age groups at a younger age.

I've briefly seen some of his play, but not a full game. He looks very good, and you can tell that he doesn't dominate because he's bigger and stronger than everyone else, but I still can't figure out why he scores at such a better rate at youth level than every striker to come through the last 15 years. He's not that much more talented than all of them from what I can tell.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I havent seen that good a 14 year old since Freddy Adu. If hes clever he signs a very lucrative deal *before* playing a full season at senior level.

In other news, Robin Dutt basically asked to be fired by Bochum in their last post-match presser. Club leadership asks him for a meeting today to clarify things, Dutt doesnt show up. Club gets the message and sacks him. Certainly an attitude that recommends him for future employment....

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I havent seen that good a 14 year old since Freddy Adu. If hes clever he signs a very lucrative deal *before* playing a full season at senior level.

In other news, Robin Dutt basically asked to be fired by Bochum in their last post-match presser. Club leadership asks him for a meeting today to clarify things, Dutt doesnt show up. Club gets the message and sacks him. Certainly an attitude that recommends him for future employment....
I read the team took over at halftime and changed its tactics to at least win one point. Robin Dutt is one of those guys who shouldn't be in professional football. He simply doesn't get it done at any position.
Robin Dutt - Wikipedia

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, I haven't. I watched something like this:

Of course he is a special player and it's impressive how dominant he is as an underager among 17.18yo.
But be (probably) won't be able to muck around Bundesliga defenders like he does with those poor boys.

Ah, gotcha. What really impresses me with him is just what a dangerous presence he was throughout the full matches I've watched -- always buzzing around dangerous areas, drawing the defense's focus onto himself -- and a highlight video can never really capture that. Even ignoring his age, I have never seen someone like this absolutely tear through the A- or B-junioren level the way he has, thus far.

But I fully agree with your final point, it's why I can't wait to see how his game translates to the senior level.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well I mean if you look at the evolution of the modern game you can maybe make a connection as to why he's so much more prolific than a lot of those guys at the same age. Football has always been a game of space and intelligence, obviously, but previously athleticism and skill gaps were so large that they played a large part in the best players in the world, scoring goals, etc. (they still do, but to a much smaller extent IMO). As the athletic and skill gap decrease toward parity (with exceptions), tactics evolve and coaches become more and more important. This means that the use of space, reading of the game and mental attributes become more and more important. Something that Moukoko possesses in spades, especially for youth levels, is his instinctual movement, reading of the game and composure to go along with an abundance of skill and athleticism. At such a young age it's really incredible to have those elements be so robust. When Cristiano reinvented himself and started scoring at ridiculous rates it wasn't because he suddenly became more skillful than everyone else; he used the things I mentioned about Moukoko above on a different level than most players and supplemented his already tremendous skill and athleticism. Joao Felix is another player that really embodies the future of elite talents where he just reads the game so well, he moves so well off the ball, has an incredible first touch and great composure for his age.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He doesn't look that good by the highlights video hahaha
Bojan scored a tremendous amount of goals and he didn't end up being more than a fringe starting striker in the PL.
I would expect much better from this kid though, must have a super soccer IQ

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He doesn't look that good by the highlights video hahaha
Bojan scored a tremendous amount of goals and he didn't end up being more than a fringe starting striker in the PL.
I would expect much better from this kid though, must have a super soccer IQ

It's not just the unprecedented totals he's putting up, regardless of age, it's the way he's putting them up. I've never seen anyone at these levels be the ever-present threat he is, despite playing up multiple age groups...always putting himself & pushing his side, into dangerous positions with the ball.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
From what I have seen Moukoko is very promising. He still is a diamond in the rough. His technique still needs a lot of work, his defensive play is not existent. Dortmund coaches have a lot of work to do. I wish the best for him and he has time to develop.
But I'm really shocked how bad young defenders seem to be these days (based on the vids I've seen). When I was young our defenders were better (and I was nowhere near Bundesliga level).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
From what I have seen Moukoko is very promising. He still is a diamond in the rough. His technique still needs a lot of work, his defensive play is not existent. Dortmund coaches have a lot of work to do. I wish the best for him and he has time to develop.
But I'm really shocked how bad young defenders seem to be these days (based on the vids I've seen). When I was young our defenders were better (and I was nowhere near Bundesliga level).
This is almost certainly not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad