German football 2019/2020

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It seems like the BVB-Team plays against their own coach. This was the last game for Favre. Who could be the succesor? Korkut or Frontzeck? ;) ;)
I bet Watzke and co already did their job finding options weeks ago. I think it will be no German. Just a feeling. They simply can't go on with Favre.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bild says that a two-hour meeting was held yesterday after the game by Zorc and Watzke on Favre's job status. They speculate is that Favre won't be fired yet, though his job might not be safe depending on results in the midweek game and the game next weekend. The more reliable Kicker says that Favre is job is safe for this week.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Mainz wizh new coach and one man less with a huge 5:1 win at Hoffenhein. Augsburg deatroys Hertha 4:0.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's Bild, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's not out of the question that Favre will be sacked at some point and we'll look for replacements. I don't buy that Kovac would join Dortmund so soon after Bayern sacks him, nor do I buy that Rangnick is actually a candidate. Seems like Schmidt with an outside chance that Pochettino agrees to take the job.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's Bild, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's not out of the question that Favre will be sacked at some point and we'll look for replacements. I don't buy that Kovac would join Dortmund so soon after Bayern sacks him, nor do I buy that Rangnick is actually a candidate. Seems like Schmidt with an outside chance that Pochettino agrees to take the job.

Apparently Pochettino is not a candidate because he doesn't speak any German. Not a good reason to exclude him. But there's a strong chance he doesn't want to go to Dortmund anyway.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think language is as good a reason as any for a manager who relies on motivation as a major factor. If Klopp had to rely on a translator at Liverpool hed be f***ed.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's a legitimate reason but there are ways around it, plus he would learn in the long run. Either way good news.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
If you want to play with the big boys you have to step away from this "German teams need a German speaking coach". Mainz 05 or Augsburg can do this, but not a team like Bayern or Dortmnd, It limits your options drastically. It the same with this stupid Canadiens' (my hockey team) attitude to have a French coach. Plain and simple stupid.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I disagree. If Pep had actually learned German like he initially said he would, he may still be at Bayern. Its not just about giving instructions to players they understand, thats easy. Its about the tone, the ability to get the jokes, references etc. and not just with the players but the club staff, the media and the fans. If you dont speak the language, you ll always be the outsider - cant be an outsider and run the show.

Klopp is an extremely charming and likable fellow but its extremely doubtful this would have been fully appreciated by the media and fans in England if he hadnt been able to joke and “be himself” in the language they understand. Ive worked in multinational corporations for years and language is a common reason for people to flame out but also for performance issues in general.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Every major company in in Germany speaks English in the upper management, because it's necessary. If Germans will be major players in international football, they'll have to learn.
The generation of Hoeness, Watzke will die out in the near future.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Half the squads at Bayern and Dortmund probably are not fluent in German.

I get the point about the requirements being more than only the players in the team, but you are probably never going to get a situation where the coach can communicate great with all the players, all the staff, all the media. That’s the way club football is, unless you coach in a league that doesn’t allow foreign players or coaches.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I disagree. If Pep had actually learned German like he initially said he would, he may still be at Bayern. Its not just about giving instructions to players they understand, thats easy. Its about the tone, the ability to get the jokes, references etc. and not just with the players but the club staff, the media and the fans. If you dont speak the language, you ll always be the outsider - cant be an outsider and run the show.

This is such a superfluous part of the job. Media and fan relations are extremely unimportant next to what goes on on the field, and I doubt a majority of Dortmund's fan base shares your culturally protectionist attitude.

Dortmund should be thrilled if they found a manager who lasted three successful years as Guardiola did in Bayern. Especially midseason with the dearth of good candidates available.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Plenty of cases of players and coaches failing due to cultural isolation not just in Germany. It doesn’t have to fail but its a risk. Plenty of good German speaking managers out there for what its worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad