German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Play 4-3-2-1 with Sancho & Reus in free shadow striker roles behind Schurrle :naughty:

He's left my squad, and he'll be alerted when we've found him a new team.

Too bad West Ham couldn't spend ridiculous money on both Yarmo and Schurrle. They are exactly the kind of club you want to offload your players to because they would totally make a dumb buy for a lot of money to get a "name" in. :laugh:

Maybe someone like Crystal Palace or Watford can bail us out on Schurrle?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's left my squad, and he'll be alerted when we've found him a new team.

Too bad West Ham couldn't spend ridiculous money on both Yarmo and Schurrle. They are exactly the kind of club you want to offload your players to because they would totally make a dumb buy for a lot of money to get a "name" in. :laugh:

Maybe someone like Crystal Palace or Watford can bail us out on Schurrle?

Schurrle is going to score 15+ goals this season for Favre & you'll like it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm all here for a Schurrle career revival, loved him at Chelsea. If Favre can make him good again that'd be dope.

The only problem is going to be when Jogi decides that his renaissance means he can ignore better attackers in favor of Schurrle again. He & Draxler will ensure that Brandt, Sane & Gnabry are deprived the NT minutes they should be getting immediately.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The only problem is going to be when Jogi decides that his renaissance means he can ignore better attackers in favor of Schurrle again. He & Draxler will ensure that Brandt, Sane & Gnabry are deprived the NT minutes they should be getting immediately.
That's not true. Jogi will sit down long and hard and think and will identify the problems and fix them. Grindel and Jogi and Bierhoff said so!

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Idk how I missed this but Jesse Marsch is now the assistant manager of RB leipzig?

Sorta. His inability to speak german & lack of knowledge about the league is the official explanation for why he didn't get the interim job, and that same reasoning has been used for promoting their U19 coach to be the main assistant, while Marsch plays a smaller role so he can learn the language, country, culture & league, in preparation for a bigger role on Nagelsmann's staff next year.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Isak is a bit of a mess tonight. Unfortunate because they need him to take a step forward more than all their other youngsters, and a good start would help. Zagadou's one-footedness is a problem. Burnic is sharp so far, though. Meaningless match and very early but it would help some of these fringe players to build momentum if they want to have a bigger role this coming year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Isak is a bit of a mess tonight. Unfortunate because they need him to take a step forward more than all their other youngsters, and a good start would help. Zagadou's one-footedness is a problem. Burnic is sharp so far, though. Meaningless match and very early but it would help some of these fringe players to build momentum if they want to have a bigger role this coming year.

Send Isak on loan.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Talk of a Schürrle revival under Favre unlikely to come to fruition. Several reports state that he missed this friendly match because he's negotiating a move to another club.

Send Isak on loan.

Would that really help? I'm not sure. Depends on the destination.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think so. Dortmund is not a good environment for him.

He needs to be playing every week and seeing the ball go in the net. How many years since he’s known he’ll be in the team from week to week or got in any type of rhythm with his goal scoring?

I like certain elements I see. He moves extremely well, he works hard, he can be used as a central outlet that brings teammates into play. And I think he could probably score goals, but we won’t know unless he gets to play every week somewhere. No way he can possibly be evaluated, unless Dortmund is going to be willing to give him substantial minutes this season.

Do what Real did with Hakimi. Two year loan to another club. No option to buy. If he does really well in those two years, we can bring him back and evaluate him as an option for Dortmund. If not, you sell him after two years. Could even be a loan to 2. Bundesliga for all I care. I want to see how he’ll do playing every week. Then we evaluate him at age 21 in two years. CF is one of those positions where I think it’s very hard to bring a young player through at a big club.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Talk of a Schürrle revival under Favre unlikely to come to fruition. Several reports state that he missed this friendly match because he's negotiating a move to another club.

It is reported Crystal Palace might be the destination. He left the team and travelled home for negotiations.It is also speculated there could be a trade in works. Schürrle for Zaha.

BVB: Schürrle freigestellt - Spektakulärer Wechsel nach England?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think so. Dortmund is not a good environment for him.

He needs to be playing every week and seeing the ball go in the net. How many years since he’s known he’ll be in the team from week to week or got in any type of rhythm with his goal scoring?

I like certain elements I see. He moves extremely well, he works hard, he can be used as a central outlet that brings teammates into play. And I think he could probably score goals, but we won’t know unless he gets to play every week somewhere. No way he can possibly be evaluated, unless Dortmund is going to be willing to give him substantial minutes this season.

Do what Real did with Hakimi. Two year loan to another club. No option to buy. If he does really well in those two years, we can bring him back and evaluate him as an option for Dortmund. If not, you sell him after two years. Could even be a loan to 2. Bundesliga for all I care. I want to see how he’ll do playing every week. Then we evaluate him at age 21 in two years. CF is one of those positions where I think it’s very hard to bring a young player through at a big club.

I don't think any player Dortmund loaned out in the past ~5 years has come back better and established himself in the team. We'll see with Burnic and Passlack. Usually it's a precursor to a sale.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think any player Dortmund loaned out in the past ~5 years has come back better and established himself in the team. We'll see with Burnic and Passlack. Usually it's a precursor to a sale.

BVB have also been very hesitant to loan players out until they've started to lose hope in. So it's a bit of a self-selecting sample.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

But that doesn't really say anything for Isak. Most of those players you mentioned or those in the group of players loaned out were not CF's. Isak can theoretically contribute to the team this season. If you want to use him as a pure back up CF, maybe 10 starts in games we play the back ups and also some sub appearances in games that are out of hand early, I think he can fill that role. The issue is whether or not that'll help his development long-term or will help Dortmund long-term. Its easier to "fill a role" at just about every other position when trying to develop youth players. And I don't think its a guarantee that he'd ever make it back, but I wouldn't look at the percentages of loans as a reason not to loan him out.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
BVB have also been very hesitant to loan players out until they've started to lose hope in. So it's a bit of a self-selecting sample.

Yes. For the most part their coaches have been better at bringing along talented kids than other teams in the Bundesliga too.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One can argue about the quality, but 29 isn't that old. Teams can't just be composed of 19 year olds and expect to compete in a men's league.

We've had this discussion before. It definitely is old to bring in a new player. Players peak in minutes played around 25 or 26 and their average on-field impact declines thereafter by every quantifiable measure. Not too noticeably at 29, but certainly after 30. If they sign him to a 4 year contract he'll have no resale value at the end and he'll almost certainly be performing badly. Unless you're bringing in a world class player, it's pointless to make that investment.

No one said anything about wanting a team of 19 year olds. I want Dortmund to have an older team with more players in their prime too. 29 is demonstrably past it though.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
After today's twitter posting I doubt Mesut Özil will ever play for the German NT again.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
We've had this discussion before. It definitely is old to bring in a new player. Players peak in minutes played around 25 or 26 and their average on-field impact declines thereafter by every quantifiable measure. Not too noticeably at 29, but certainly after 30. If they sign him to a 4 year contract he'll have no resale value at the end and he'll almost certainly be performing badly. Unless you're bringing in a world class player, it's pointless to make that investment.

No one said anything about wanting a team of 19 year olds. I want Dortmund to have an older team with more players in their prime too. 29 is demonstrably past it though.

We have discussed it before, and I still think some kind of blanket assessment of 'peak' defies reality. You don't have to look very far to see that in many leagues the best contributors are around 30 or older. And furthermore, sometimes teams don't just buy players in order to sell them with added value in 2-3 years, they buy them because they want to improve their team this year and next year. If you want to win things, you can't just act as a talent developer for other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad