German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
His right thigh is mincemeat. Bayern should've sold him but PSG didn't make serious offers and pissed everybody off - I think it was their sporting director specifically.

Otherwise, it's mostly due to the team's *coaching. I don't think every single player can regress so much over 6 months, there is something else wrong. Even Carlo's lax approach and poor personality fit got them the league title, this failure to do anything right is mostly on Kovac. Robbery should've been used sparingly this year and Kovac should have implemented new and novel tactics. He didn't and other teams adapted. The team is slow, lumbering, and shockingly naive. Up 3-1 at home, you can push for more goals all you want but remember the context - your team is sensitive, your team is reeling, your team is rather slow, your defense is porous. If you want the goal, great, but sit a bit deeper and play more direct balls. What does Kovac do? The opposite.

It's certainly on the same tier as the terrorist whitewashers and outright criminal fraudsters who bought up the formerly best parts of Paris, for sure. I loved seeing the Qatar flag immediately adjacent to the Arc de Triomphe - it overwhelmingly encompassed the entire dynamic.
What kinda racist ass crap is this lol

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What kinda racist ass crap is this lol
Qatar's international policies - in direct support of militant and non-militant Islamic supremacists (such as the Muslim Brotherhood, Nusra/Qaeda, ISIS, Taliban, etc) is well known, oft reported, and implicitly enabled by France and other NATO powers. It's not racist to criticise a country's geopolitical actions. That one bloodthirsty tyrant's monument, Napoleon's Arc de Triomphe, has had one of the buildings adjacent to it sold to Qatar with a giant Qatar flag encompasses the rentier dynamic very well. Qatar buys (in)glory from under France's shadow.

Recent leaks and report indicate that PSG does the exact same nasty business. False sponsorships and whitewashing, or sportwashing, of Qatar's international image.

To have the comparatively simple Bayern club criticised by a PSG-apologist is a laugh. For all their faults, they aren't primarily sponsored by one of the world's foremost terrorist nations.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's certainly on the same tier as the terrorist whitewashers and outright criminal fraudsters who bought up the formerly best parts of Paris, for sure. I loved seeing the Qatar flag immediately adjacent to the Arc de Triomphe - it overwhelmingly encompassed the entire dynamic.
:laugh:
:biglaugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Back to Bayern, I think that they could be doing what they did last season with better coaching, but to be back to being one of the top teams in Europe, it’s more than coaching. They need a whole new generation of star players.

Reactions: theprofessor

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
This happens when you don't spend like the big boys and rely on old/slow players. Coman's injury didn't help tho.
In other news: There are reports Wenger could be the next coach at Bayern. Yes, Arsene Wenger.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Back to Bayern, I think that they could be doing what they did last season with better coaching, but to be back to being one of the top teams in Europe, it’s more than coaching. They need a whole new generation of star players.
Neither Heynckes, Pep nor the managers following Pep developed any youngsters like LvG did. That's a big problem.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Neither Heynckes, Pep nor the managers following Pep developed any youngsters like LvG did. That's a big problem.
IIRC the last one was Alaba. So they don't buy and they don't develop. Just buying the best from other Buli teams wins you the league but not Europe. Sometimes not even that.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

The youngsters whom later coaches had weren't as innately good as the youngsters LvG had, or the players they were supposed to replace. That's a bigger problem than their lack of development. The young players who've come through Bayern the past 4 or 5 years have had chances to play, but don't have nearly the ceiling of guys like Robben, Ribery, Hummels, Boateng, Lewandowski, et al.

The part of Bayern's management that wanted to make the team younger has left now, too.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
IIRC the last one was Alaba. So they don't buy and they don't develop. Just buying the best from other Buli teams wins you the league but not Europe. Sometimes not even that.
Kimmich, kinda. They tried with Kurt and Weiser, no?

I don't think they've underperformed in Europe. It's just that they didn't have a Messi or a Ronaldo.

The youngsters whom later coaches had weren't as innately good as the youngsters LvG had, or the players they were supposed to replace. That's a bigger problem than their lack of development. The young players who've come through Bayern the past 4 or 5 years have had chances to play, but don't have nearly the ceiling of guys like Robben, Ribery, Hummels, Boateng, Lewandowski, et al.

The part of Bayern's management that wanted to make the team younger has left now, too.
Seven years of youngsters and not one of them is as innately good as Mueller was in 2009? Don't believe it.

I understand that young players don't get much of a chance when the team is world-class and absolutely on fire but Bayern should've made a serious effort at buying youngsters instead of clowns like Benatia. But the target is CL victory and they didn't have any room to spare without a Messi or Ronaldo and a terrible (unlucky) Gotze.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Qatar's international policies - in direct support of militant and non-militant Islamic supremacists (such as the Muslim Brotherhood, Nusra/Qaeda, ISIS, Taliban, etc) is well known, oft reported, and implicitly enabled by France and other NATO powers. It's not racist to criticise a country's geopolitical actions. That one bloodthirsty tyrant's monument, Napoleon's Arc de Triomphe, has had one of the buildings adjacent to it sold to Qatar with a giant Qatar flag encompasses the rentier dynamic very well. Qatar buys (in)glory from under France's shadow.

Recent leaks and report indicate that PSG does the exact same nasty business. False sponsorships and whitewashing, or sportwashing, of Qatar's international image.

To have the comparatively simple Bayern club criticised by a PSG-apologist is a laugh. For all their faults, they aren't primarily sponsored by one of the world's foremost terrorist nations.

Someone sipping that media koolaid.

The only acceptable reaction TBH.

Reactions: Evilo

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kimmich, kinda. They tried with Kurt and Weiser, no?

I don't think they've underperformed in Europe. It's just that they didn't have a Messi or a Ronaldo.

Seven years of youngsters and not one of them is as innately good as Mueller was in 2009? Don't believe it.

I understand that young players don't get much of a chance when the team is world-class and absolutely on fire but Bayern should've made a serious effort at buying youngsters instead of clowns like Benatia. But the target is CL victory and they didn't have any room to spare without a Messi or Ronaldo and a terrible (unlucky) Gotze.

This is incorrect though. Bayern did buy many youngsters. The youngsters got plenty of chances but mostly didn't stick. They didn't go after the most talented youngsters like Real Madrid did, though, because of their relative aversion to paying big fees.

Players 22 and under they've bought or promoted from their junior team since the treble season:
Götze (didn't fit with the coach's style; had serious condition with metabolism)
Thiago (good fit)
Bernat (got plenty of playing time; not good enough)
Höjbjerg (got plenty of playing time; not good enough)
Gaudino (got a chance despite his age and stature; not good enough)
Coman (good player but not as good as Robbery)
Kimmich (good fit)
Sanches (bad)
Süle (good but probably not as good as his predecessors)

Plus guys like Gnabry, Goretzka, and Tolisso who just missed that cut. How many of those guys didn't get a chance to prove themselves?

The coach is probably too loyal to the older generation now, as Löw was last summer, but very few of the guys on that list have the potential to be one of the best players at their positions (Thiago, Kimmich, Götze without the medical condition), as many of the older generation were.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tolisso has performed very well from what I've seen. His injury is a tough blow, like Coman's.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The coach is probably too loyal to the older generation now, as Löw was last summer, but very few of the guys on that list have the potential to be one of the best players at their positions (Thiago, Kimmich, Götze without the medical condition), as many of the older generation were.

I'm not making excuses for Kovac - regardless of circumstances Bayern should have 5-6 points more on the table...

But the behavior or Bayern's core players (and the others) has been absolutely appalling.
From Ribery and Co. throwing fits every time they're subbed off to about 5 players complaining in social media about not starting every time they're on the bench.
No respect for their coach and more importantly, no respect for their teammates.

Kovac is likely gone, but Bayern has to do an overhaul - or at least serious tweaking - but more importantly, they have to back their (new) manager from the start, make the players aware of how things should be and avoid another Ancelotti/Kovac situation.
That, AND bring in new players, this core is either aging or jaded.

I'm not sure why fans are riding the "Wenger lol" meme, on the whole, what he did with Arsenal was absolutely legendary, and if I were a Bayern fan I'd be hyped to get him as a manager.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm not making excuses for Kovac - regardless of circumstances Bayern should have 5-6 points more on the table...

But the behavior or Bayern's core players (and the others) has been absolutely appalling.
From Ribery and Co. throwing fits every time they're subbed off to about 5 players complaining in social media about not starting every time they're on the bench.
No respect for their coach and more importantly, no respect for their teammates.

Kovac is likely gone, but Bayern has to do an overhaul - or at least serious tweaking - but more importantly, they have to back their (new) manager from the start, make the players aware of how things should be and avoid another Ancelotti/Kovac situation.
That, AND bring in new players, this core is either aging or jaded.

I'm not sure why fans are riding the "Wenger lol" meme, on the whole, what he did with Arsenal was absolutely legendary, and if I were a Bayern fan I'd be hyped to get him as a manager.
This behaviour only really started when the team was losing. Which fuels the speculation that the players did in fact 'buy-in' but Kovač lost the room when he had no answers whatsoever.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This behaviour only really started when the team was losing. Which fuels the speculation that the players did in fact 'buy-in' but Kovač lost the room when he had no answers whatsoever.

Oh, no it didn't. Feel free to look up player reactions to being subbed off even in those first 6-7 games when everything was all flowers and happiness.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Oh, no it didn't. Feel free to look up player reactions to being subbed off even in those first 6-7 games when everything was all flowers and happiness.
Other than Robbery being who they always were I didn't see much there. Robben's been fine generally, he's a consummate professional. Ribery is a nutter. But generally it's been a mountain out of a molehill imo.

The problems with Bayern are almost singularly tactical. With slow(er) CBs and wingers who are weak 1-on-1 and a glut of talented CMs the team shouldn't line up as it does and shouldn't be as slow on the ball as it is. How they execute the flawed game plan is only the second part of the problem. Kovac is convinced that they can execute his plan but what if they can't? He has to adapt! He doesn't.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Other than Robbery being who they always were I didn't see much there. Robben's been fine generally, he's a consummate professional. Ribery is a nutter. But generally it's been a mountain out of a molehill imo.

The problems with Bayern are almost singularly tactical. With slow(er) CBs and wingers who are weak 1-on-1 and a glut of talented CMs the team shouldn't line up as it does and shouldn't be as slow on the ball as it is. How they execute the flawed game plan is only the second part of the problem. Kovac is convinced that they can execute his plan but what if they can't? He has to adapt! He doesn't.

Like I said, I'm not making excuses for him - he's not managed to work his system in and he's run out of time.
But he's neither had the freedom to go after certain players (Jovic and Rebic, who as people are seeing now, were not just one year wonder), and the Bayern players have heavily underperformed as well. Boateng is a shadow of his former self, it's actually shocking to watch, Ribery, Robben, the midfield -while injury-plagued has been largerly pedestrian except for Martinez, etc.
A lot of their goals against have come off individual errors, nothing that you can blame any coach for.

Anyway, my point was that regardless of Kovac being there or not (or Wenger), Bayern has some work to do - personnel and mentality wise.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The "Dortmund bomber" got 14 years in prison. Not bad if you consider that a murder usually is sentenced 15 years in Germany.

In other news: Bayern (Hoeness) blocked Paul Breitner from sitting on the tribune at ALLIANZ arena. LOL.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In other news: Bayern (Hoeness) blocked Paul Breitner from sitting on the tribune at ALLIANZ arena. LOL.
Bizarre decision even for the cantankerous Uli

But they should've known that any and all news about Bayern would be spun in a negative way after that press conference. You reap what you sow.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Btw, long story short - to the guys who follow Bundesliga more - what happened (and is going on) with Weigl?
I know he was injured and missed a few months because of it, but has been back playing for over a year - yet never really got back to his promising self pre-injury? Or is he just not fitting with the manager's system/plan?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Btw, long story short - to the guys who follow Bundesliga more - what happened (and is going on) with Weigl?
I know he was injured and missed a few months because of it, but has been back playing for over a year - yet never really got back to his promising self pre-injury? Or is he just not fitting with the manager's system/plan?

Read page 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad