German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
That free kick from Duda to seal the match was incredible.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Favre had some strange comments the other day about the midfield. It seems like he doesn't want to play with a CAM, instead wanting three holding mids. If thats his philosophy, I don't think he's long for the job.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Basically Favre said that there's no room for Götze. At least that's what Bild says. Sad but true.
Lucien Favres System-Opfer: Fliegt Götze erstmals aus dem BVB-Kader?

I took that out of what he said, but he also talked about what he currently wants, naming physicality and athleticism. I don’t see that working. Can this team maximize their potential without Weigl and Goetze? I don’t think so. I think he’s going to run into a lot of problems if he keeps trotting out this same formation, but we’ll see.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Basically Favre said that there's no room for Götze. At least that's what Bild says. Sad but true.
Lucien Favres System-Opfer: Fliegt Götze erstmals aus dem BVB-Kader?

That's not quite what he said. He said they have 8 or 9 midfield players, and they'll need them all in the coming weeks with 7 matches in 21 days. He also said they need time to find the right team and the right system. It's not settled yet. While Favre is openly skeptical of Götze's ability to meet the athletic demands in a 4-3-3 midfield, it is quite possible that he will try to accommodate him there and find a way to ease the athletic demands, given how badly the team's possession play falters with Delaney there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great that we scored on another set piece, but I am not impressed with Favre so far.

This lineup was atrocious.

Bruun Larsen over Sancho, Reus playing as a CAM, Wolff, Philipp over Alcacer, no Goetze, Delaney over Witesel or Weigl. Like half of his lineup decisions are bad.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Bad luck for Bayern with injuries. Well, bad luck and ridiculous tackles by the opposition.
Koman and Tolisso out, Rafinha looking likely out now as well. Though Tolisso's injury looked far worse.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Great that we scored on another set piece, but I am not impressed with Favre so far.

Of the 9 goals Dortmund have scored so far in 4 matches, you could argue 5 of them were scored on set pieces or in the situations immediately resulting lol. Needless to say, that's not good or likely to last.

Exactly what we deserved.

And this dude still has no use for Goetze. Shocking.

Whether he restores Götze to a starting spot or not, I hope he's moving closer to moving Delaney out of the starting lineup. Another performance where Dahoud and the CBs had to do everything, and it could have been even more barren if Frankfurt weren't for some reason being overly vigilant cutting off passing lanes to Delaney half the time - leaving more space for the others - rather than daring him to make the forward passes himself. For all that the people who only care about players exerting themselves rave about Delaney's defense, let's not forget the Frankfurt goal started with him aggressively running out of position to launch himself at a header, either.

And if you're going to have a two man midfield where Delaney is one of the options, you had better have multiple forwards who can create something on their own from scratch. Philipp and Wolf aren't those guys. Favre is lucky that he hasn't been burned harder, and his substitutions in the last 20 minutes salvaged a victory vs Fürth and now Frankfurt. Your chances of winning are much higher if you play a winning lineup for 70 minutes rather than for 20. You're far more likely to have 0-0 draws like the Hannover match if you are only playing a stalemate lineup for two thirds of the match. Up for debate how much of that is Sancho vs how much of it is the bad midfield though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We played so much better once Witsel was subbed in for Delaney immediately after Frankfurt tied it. Witsel looks like a really good addition. I'd start Witsel and Weigl together as the CM, Dahoud can come off the bench. Delaney's role this season should've always been the player that keeps guys like Rode, Sahin from the field when we want to rotate the squad.

This should be the starting midfield and attack for the UCL game in midweek.

---------Witsel-Weigl--------------
-------------Goetze----------------
Sancho----Alcacer---------Reus

I'm not anti-Dahoud, but Witsel and Weigl are both better players than him. Witsel can play either as a pure defensive midfielder or a box to box guy. Dahoud is the big winner though under Favre. He coached him a couple years back, and Dahoud did well under him. I still don't see Dahoud as doing that great currently. I'm not convinced he has a good football IQ. I prefer him to Delaney and what we were using last year with Sahin, Castro, Rode, but he shouldn't be first choice with the current options we have.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
We played so much better once Witsel was subbed in for Delaney immediately after Frankfurt tied it. Witsel looks like a really good addition. I'd start Witsel and Weigl together as the CM, Dahoud can come off the bench. Delaney's role this season should've always been the player that keeps guys like Rode, Sahin from the field when we want to rotate the squad.

This should be the starting midfield and attack for the UCL game in midweek.

---------Witsel-Weigl--------------
-------------Goetze----------------
Sancho----Alcacer---------Reus

I'm not anti-Dahoud, but Witsel and Weigl are both better players than him. Witsel can play either as a pure defensive midfielder or a box to box guy. Dahoud is the big winner though under Favre. He coached him a couple years back, and Dahoud did well under him. I still don't see Dahoud as doing that great currently. I'm not convinced he has a good football IQ. I prefer him to Delaney and what we were using last year with Sahin, Castro, Rode, but he shouldn't be first choice with the current options we have.

Dahoud is inconsistent in buildup but he certainly can do some spectacular things a bit further upfield. It's matches like this where he has to do it all in midfield that he might falter. He had some good scenes and some bad scenes.

Witsel-Weigl 2 man midfield could be more interesting when you consider that Weigl didn't always play as a strict 6 before he came to Dortmund, and both can interchange as 6 and 8 in buildup in a way that could function better than what they currently have. If you have them both playing, perhaps it would ease the need for Götze to cover the whole field too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Favre left Goetze and Weigl out of the squad for tomorrow’s game. Neither fits into his system. We saw this on Tuesday with how they played when being used a role that doesn’t suit their games.

Let’s see if Favre can continue to get results with Stoeger-ball. If he can’t, I don’t think he should stay long. Ostracizing two of the most important players in your squad doesn’t come off well if you can’t get results. So far we’ve gotten results, but they’ve come in a way that doesn’t beget future success.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Apparently Götze got scratched from the roster for the upcoming game at Hoffenheim. Weidenfeller and Matthäus support a change of scenery move in the winter. I would think that, too. It's obvious Favre doesn't have any use for him. It's a shame, maybe some EPL team takes a chance on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad