German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Surprised even professional media people can talk about Dortmund challenging for a title without bursting into laughter tbh. Still no controlled creativity through the center of the pitch at all unless they caught Hannover on the counter. Cowardly team selection when playing for a draw at all even on the road costs you points over winning half and losing half. Defense is looking better I guess, and that's not entirely to do with playing such a conservative midfield. Dahoud made some nice plays. But you can't win regularly if you don't consistently create a ton of chances, and you can't challenge for a title if you can't win regularly. Unless you're playing Bayern, no sense in playing for a draw like this, on the road or not.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Favre and his cowardly tactics.

I still don't get why they bought Delaney and it's a joke that he is starting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Surprised even professional media people can talk about Dortmund challenging for a title without bursting into laughter tbh. Still no controlled creativity through the center of the pitch at all unless they caught Hannover on the counter. Cowardly team selection when playing for a draw at all even on the road costs you points over winning half and losing half. Defense is looking better I guess, and that's not entirely to do with playing such a conservative midfield. Dahoud made some nice plays. But you can't win regularly if you don't consistently create a ton of chances, and you can't challenge for a title if you can't win regularly. Unless you're playing Bayern, no sense in playing for a draw like this, on the road or not.

The team selection was doomed. I was thinking this morning that I actually would be surprised if we didn't drop points because I could just tell the team selection would be exactly like this, and we wouldn't have the needed chance creation in the side today.

Goetze should start every important game. And if for some reason he doesn't, Kagawa should start. Such negative tactics the way the CM is set up right now. Also, I don't like Reus and Philipp in the same lineup. Now that we have Alcacer, Philipp should be Reus direct back up. Wolf getting minutes over Sancho is another problem. Wolf actually hasn't been bad, but with all the chance creation problems there are in the lineup right now, why are we not preferring Sancho's chance creation and end product to Wolf's running, defense, extremely direct approach? It's almost like Stoeger is picking this lineup. So far, not impressed with Favre's attacking approach.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The team selection was doomed. I was thinking this morning that I actually would be surprised if we didn't drop points because I could just tell the team selection would be exactly like this, and we wouldn't have the needed chance creation in the side today.

Goetze should start every important game. And if for some reason he doesn't, Kagawa should start. Such negative tactics the way the CM is set up right now. Also, I don't like Reus and Philipp in the same lineup. Now that we have Alcacer, Philipp should be Reus direct back up. Wolf getting minutes over Sancho is another problem. Wolf actually hasn't been bad, but with all the chance creation problems there are in the lineup right now, why are we not preferring Sancho's chance creation and end product to Wolf's running, defense, extremely direct approach? It's almost like Stoeger is picking this lineup. So far, not impressed with Favre's attacking approach.

Did Kagawa play at all in the exhibitions this summer? I know there were some rumors about him moving in the last 24 hours, but the window has just closed. He seems even further out of favor than Götze with Favre. I think Favre can do significantly better in possession even if he keeps the current midfield - as the problems aren't only with personnel - and I give him credit for pointing this out in his press conference, but it's ridiculous to me that they didn't pursue someone else if he doesn't want to play either Kagawa or Götze in central midfield. Delaney will continue to be a handicap to the possession play to some extent.

I hope Philipp's head injury isn't too bad. It looked terrible.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Some still don't understand. Mario Götze is no longer part of the core at Dortmund. He wasn't at Bayern, he wasn't at the NT and he isn't now at BvB. He is not good enough.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Some still don't understand. Mario Götze is no longer part of the core at Dortmund. He wasn't at Bayern, he wasn't at the NT and he isn't now at BvB. He is not good enough.

And some have actually believed the ignorant bullshit they hear on their televisions. He played the majority of minutes when healthy before this season, and he certainly did so at Bayern. He played 69% of the available minutes in matches where he wasn't injured last season. Favre would be the first coach Götze has had as a professional who doesn't see him as part of his core.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
And some have actually believed the ignorant bull**** they hear on their televisions. He played the majority of minutes when healthy before this season, and he certainly did so at Bayern. He played 69% of the available minutes in matches where he wasn't injured last season. Favre would be the first coach Götze has had as a professional who doesn't see him as part of his core.
I don't need television to see what is happening. Favre leaves Götze on the bench. So he thinks he isn't good enough to start or Götze is injured/ill/out of form again. Otherwise he would play. That's a matter of fact.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't need television to see what is happening. Favre leaves Götze on the bench. So he thinks he isn't good enough to start or Götze is injured/ill/out of form again. Otherwise he would play. That's a matter of fact.

You said he isn't good enough, and that he isn't part of the core.

Now you are now telling us Favre's opinion. I'm well aware of what Favre thinks when he leaves him out of the lineup. That doesn't mean he's the end all be all arbiter of "good enough" and being part of Dortmund's core, unless coaching decisions have become gospel, and fans are no longer allowed to form their own opinions. We are also talking about only two games. He was in the starting lineup the first game of the season.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Not nearly as much as your revisionist spin about Götze's history was a matter of falsehood. 2 matches against 5 or 6 years of history.

As I said, the problem isn't just Götze not playing if you don't like his physique. It's that they don't have anyone who can make a forward pass to take his place in central midfield.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
You said he isn't good enough, and that he isn't part of the core.

Now you are now telling us Favre's opinion. I'm well aware of what Favre thinks when he leaves him out of the lineup. That doesn't mean he's the end all be all arbiter of "good enough" and being part of Dortmund's core, unless coaching decisions have become gospel, and fans are no longer allowed to form their own opinions. We are also talking about only two games. He was in the starting lineup the first game of the season.
Yes, he is not good enough, because if he was his coach Favre would play him! If he was part of the core (and he isn't injured) he would be part of the starting 11. He IS NOT! He wasn't even put on the pitch vs. an inferior Hannover team yesterday.
It's hopeless to discuss with Dortmund/Götze homers on this board.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ascacibar has been great today... impressive on the ball too. Who knew he had that in his game.

I liked Maffeo too. Every time I see him play he's impresses. Bright future ahead of him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hannover controlled that match against BVB, even though that stadium was filled with an insane amount of black-and-yellows.

Was really disappointed in BVB's flank game, it seemed almost nonexistent except for Piszczek who stilled looked good for his age. Was impressed by Dahoud and Witsel (who I always liked), but really poor showing from the creators on this club. Gotze didn't even get subbed on, that was a game which screamed for a player like him? Where was Kagawa or Pulisic, injured? Was quite impressed by Maina for the Reds.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hannover controlled that match against BVB, even though that stadium was filled with an insane amount of black-and-yellows.

Was really disappointed in BVB's flank game, it seemed almost nonexistent except for Piszczek who stilled looked good for his age. Was impressed by Dahoud and Witsel (who I always liked), but really poor showing from the creators on this club. Gotze didn't even get subbed on, that was a game which screamed for a player like him? Where was Kagawa or Pulisic, injured? Was quite impressed by Maina for the Reds.

There weren't any creators. That was the main issue. Kagawa is fit, but out of favor at the club. Pulisic is injured.

Indeed, 2 games, two losses. It's early, but Schalke is "special". Everybody knows it.

I think most would've expected things to change with Tedesco, but even he might not be able to go against what is the typical tide at Schalke. I think Heidel has done a pretty bad job here though.

I can't blame him for what happened with Goretzka and I also don't blame him for taking the amount offered for Kehrer, but he's not upgraded his squad, at all. Rudy is a good player, but they lost Goretzka and Meyer, so it was a necessity more than anything to bring in a CM. They also could've offered Meyer a big wage increase. Its not like he left their club to play at a higher level, given where he's now playing at.

They also didn't improve their offense, which was a bigger problem last season than it gets credit for being. Tedesco's style of play had them grind out some results, but they are not a good team to watch, and its partly because they don't have that much offensive talent. They brought in one guy from the 2nd division. Otherwise, they didn't spend any money on their offense after qualifying for the UCL. They haven't upgraded their squad to compete in the UCL or contend with the increased schedule. They might get out of their UCL group because its so weak, but they will have trouble qualifying for the UCL for next season.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Off topic question! Threads Premiere league,La Liga,Lique 1 but here it called "german football". Why not called Bundesliga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad