German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Not as pessimistic about the national team as the rest of you seem to be. Even with Jogi at the helm.
Germany just got eliminated from the WC in the group stage. They just lost to Mexico and South Korea and avoided a tie vs. Sweden by scoring with 15 seconds left in extra time.
And two months later they'll play one of the best teams on the planet and on top of that our arch enemy (football-wise) who wants nothing more than beat the xxxx out of us to get back on track themselves.
If this doesn't make you pessimistic I can only congratulate you. You must be a very optimistic human being.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It can get even worse for the NT. In September the Uefa Nations League starts. Germany will play France and the Netherlands. If they finish 3rd they'll get RELEGATED to group B. A lot of work to do.

2018–19 UEFA Nations League - Wikipedia

It will be interesting to see how that works out. If Germany lose to France and/or play poorly, it's almost certain they'll be booed off the pitch and attacked in the media..in which case Löw's position will be only more tenuous.

I'd personally happily lose all games in this new Nations League if Jogi gets sacked as a result.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Germany just got eliminated from the WC in the group stage. They just lost to Mexico and South Korea and avoided a tie vs. Sweden by scoring with 15 seconds left in extra time.
And two months later they'll play one of the best teams on the planet and on top of that our arch enemy (football-wise) who wants nothing more than beat the xxxx out of us to get back on track themselves.
If this doesn't make you pessimistic I can only congratulate you. You must be a very optimistic human being.

lol not at all. I just don't freak out at every misstep like you do. They had one team that lacked chemistry and the right team choices. They made at least the semifinals in 8 straight international tournaments (including the two Confederations Cups) before this, and they still have plenty of talented young players everywhere. Disappointing tournament for sure, but it doesn't change their long term outlook much.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Eh, the problems is we have too much talent born in 1995 & later. We got eliminated because Jogi relied on too many of the old guys for them to cover up his incompetence. But unfortunately as soon as he turns to the Confed Cup & U21 champions we’ll once again have too much talent even for him to f*** it up.

That’s why this was our chance to be rid of him, now that he’s staying we’re stuck with him for another 4-6 years at least.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol not at all. I just don't freak out at every misstep like you do. They had one team that lacked chemistry and the right team choices. They made at least the semifinals in 8 straight international tournaments (including the two Confederations Cups) before this, and they still have plenty of talented young players everywhere. Disappointing tournament for sure, but it doesn't change their long term outlook much.

Unfortunately no, but it almost did. If only Jogi had stepped down we had the chance to finally become the team we should have been these past 6 years

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What is this guy doing? Wouldn't the reason you leave a club on a free be that you had another deal already lined up?

Initially he was going to Hoffenheim until he found out about Nagelsmann. Then he started looking to Milan but they wouldn’t/couldn’t offer him enough.

So it’s certainly getting weird with him. Someone will pay him, but it would be kinda cool if he misread the market for his services so badly that he had to go to a smaller club like Werder on a contract with a set release clause for next summer. Let the island of misfit toys continue cycling through major german talents!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Max Meyer feels already like a guy who's missed the boat somewhere. But of course if he did land with a smaller club it's entirely up to him to reinvigorate his prospects.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Max Meyer feels already like a guy who's missed the boat somewhere. But of course if he did land with a smaller club it's entirely up to him to reinvigorate his prospects.

I felt that way about him before he thrived at the 6 for Tedesco. Now I’m back to believing he can be a worthwhile NTer.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Would have vastly preferred Dortmund signing Meyer over Delaney - especially for free vs. for 20M. Can't sign any Schalke players though - they're dirty and contaminated!!!!

Reactions: cgf

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That would be a massive blow for Weigl and Dortmund. The one silver lining is that it would cause the odds of him leaving this summer to plummet.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
By the way, tell me again what we need Bierhoff for?

Someone has to give dumb interviews when Jogi is not available...

Its beyond stupid, that they got a job guarantee and now have decided to continue. What a failure.

Jogi, Bierhoff, Özil, Khedira, Gomez, Müller, Boateng...

All these guys should not be here for the Nation League garbage that will start in a couple of months and I would be tempted to add a few more (Hummels, Kroos, Draxler) but realistically you need a few of the older guys still.

But Jogi and Olli are staying so the whole thing is doomed from the start anyways.

Hopefully atleast Özil is gone for good after Bierhoff the snake is shifting blame on Özil publically (which Mesut absolutely deserves but not in this manner and it is obviously only a cowardly attempt by Bierhoff to save his reputation).

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Someone has to give dumb interviews when Jogi is not available...

Its beyond stupid, that they got a job guarantee and now have decided to continue. What a failure.

Jogi, Bierhoff, Özil, Khedira, Gomez, Müller, Boateng...

All these guys should not be here for the Nation League garbage that will start in a couple of months and I would be tempted to add a few more (Hummels, Kroos, Draxler) but realistically you need a few of the older guys still.

But Jogi and Olli are staying so the whole thing is doomed from the start anyways.

Hopefully atleast Özil is gone for good after Bierhoff the snake is shifting blame on Özil publically (which Mesut absolutely deserves but not in this manner and it is obviously only a cowardly attempt by Bierhoff to save his reputation).
I'd take Boateng and Hummels off that list. They are still strong. But otherwise I agree.
I wonder who the next coach would have been had Jogi mailed it in. Please not another non coach from the 1990 team.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd take Boateng and Hummels off that list. They are still strong. But otherwise I agree.
I wonder who the next coach would have been had Jogi mailed it in. Please not another non coach from the 1990 team.

Boateng can't stay healthy. He should play a full season without international duty for a year and focus on regaining his form. Then if he is better than the rest, I would have no issue with him returning.

Same to a lesser extent for Müller (who also is not THAT old).If he can play a full season under Kovac and regain his form from 4 years ago and is better than the rest, he should get another chance.

I personally wouldn't want Özil back after all the garbage that has happened with him over the last few months. And the others are too old anyways.

Don Jupp would have been awesome but I think he finally wants to retire for good. I think Jogi has always been a rather bad coach so I wouldn't be worried about it all too much.

Maybe Hasenhüttel? Wolf?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Boateng can't stay healthy. He should play a full season without international duty for a year and focus on regaining his form. Then if he is better than the rest, I would have no issue with him returning.

Same to a lesser extent for Müller (who also is not THAT old).If he can play a full season under Kovac and regain his form from 4 years ago and is better than the rest, he should get another chance.

I personally wouldn't want Özil back after all the garbage that has happened with him over the last few months. And the others are too old anyways.

Don Jupp would have been awesome but I think he finally wants to retire for good. I think Jogi has always been a rather bad coach so I wouldn't be worried about it all too much.

Maybe Hasenhüttel? Wolf?
For a moment I shuddered and thought you referred to Derwall. Then I remembered he passed away a long time ago. :laugh:
I don't see a clear favourite.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's impossible to say how much Özil and Gündogan affected the locker room but I am very skeptical it's anything more than racist, anti-immigration German fans to project their frustrations onto. Not to say that Özil should be back, but I'd rather jettison Bild, Sportbild, and all their readers into Austria.

Reactions: cgf and Eisen

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's impossible to say how much Özil and Gündogan affected the locker room but I am very skeptical it's anything more than racist, anti-immigration German fans to project their frustrations onto. Not to say that Özil should be back, but I'd rather jettison Bild, Sportbild, and all their readers into Austria.

Nobody knows. It certainly did not help. You might have noticed that I did not mention Gündogan even once?
What he did was beyond stupid but atleast he had the balls to face the music and I think he can help the NT performancewise in the future. Özil once again was his spineless self (on and off the court) and I would be glad if he never wears the trikot again.
He is ridiculously overrated anyways. Nothing to do with his Erdogan stunt. I did not want him in the team even before that and he once again proved me right. The team is better off without him.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Nobody knows. It certainly did not help. You might have noticed that I did not mention Gündogan even once?
What he did was beyond stupid but atleast he had the balls to face the music and I think he can help the NT performancewise in the future. Özil once again was his spineless self (on and off the court) and I would be glad if he never wears the trikot again.
He is ridiculously overrated anyways. Nothing to do with his Erdogan stunt. I did not want him in the team even before that and he once again proved me right. The team is better off without him.

Yeah, I feel the same way about how Bayern fans have viewed Özil his entire career. At best, ignorance. Gündogan didn't play a major tournament before this so he kept a lower profile.

Reactions: cgf

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, I feel the same way about how Bayern fans have viewed Özil his entire career. At best, ignorance. Gündogan didn't play a major tournament before this so he kept a lower profile.

I don't quite understand what you wanted to say but it really did no sound all that smart tbh.
Sounds like you are insinuating the dislike has more to do with his heritage than with his actual play which atleast in my case is just stupid.
How long did Gündogan play in the BL? If not for his damn injuries, I would have loved it if Bayern would have gotten him when they were rumored to. What a player under Klopp. Would have taken that player over Khedira every damn time and cetainly also over the current version of Kroos (atleast the one we just witnessed in the WC)
Think he is a quality player still but probably will never be as good as he could have been without the injuries.

Özil is simply a very polarizing player. He has all the talent in the world. Probably the most talented player of this generation by quite a bit (not counting Neuer here) but almost always fails to deliver when the going gets tough. Thats when he usually goes invisible.
Not the kind of player you can count on if you want to win constantly. There is a reason why he is wasting away his career on a declining Arsenal team. Perfect fit

And after what he did on and off the pitch over the last couple of months, hopefully everyone decides that its for the best if he just retires from the NT and focusses on Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->