German Football 2018/2019 Part II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I got goosebumps when the people in the stands started singing "Torsten Mattuschke..." as we waited for that FK around the 78th minute, and they didn't go away until that final whistle...
Congrats! Glad your group finally made it up!

It'll be hard not to get relegated next season, but who cares? Even as a little kid, I never expected to see this actually happen barring my becoming wealthy enough to bankroll it...and to do it while crushing the hopes of HSV & VFB? :snide:
**** Dynamo.

:clap:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Stuttgart’s just not very good. I guess they’ll go through another four or five managers over the next season or two.

They’re going to make it back up, but it’s just dumb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Union really could surpass Hertha in the mid to long run if they play it right. As a club they represent Berlin in 2019 much better than Hertha and on the sympathy scale they would easily beat Hertha. Hertha have always struggled to really win over the hearts of people, Union seems to tick the right boxes.

When I grew up Union fans were mostly "Assi" dudes with mullets and moustaches in leather or denim jackets, but they now seem to be attractive to hipsters and transplants in ways Hertha only wish they could.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I got goosebumps when the people in the stands started singing "Torsten Mattuschke..." as we waited for that FK around the 78th minute, and they didn't go away until that final whistle...

It'll be hard not to get relegated next season, but who cares? Even as a little kid, I never expected to see this actually happen barring my becoming wealthy enough to bankroll it...and to do it while crushing the hopes of HSV & VFB? :snide:

:clap:

I'm not so sure. Paderborn should be bad next year. Augsburg and Schalke were pretty bad, too. In a normal season (without H96 and Nürnberg crap) both would have been relegated. And I'm sure at one point Köln will light candles at the dome and pray Poldi comes back.Plus, let's see what Düsseldorf does next year. Union has a legit chance to survive.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, you really never know. I'm sure there will be another bad side or two no one really expected. Even if they do go down, I'm sure Stuttgart are good to choke the playoff to come up (if they actually end up in it) again.

Koln is always good to go back down (don't tell my other relatives... they don't think so at all)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not so sure. Paderborn should be bad next year. Augsburg and Schalke were pretty bad, too. In a normal season (without H96 and Nürnberg crap) both would have been relegated. And I'm sure at one point Köln will light candles at the dome and pray Poldi comes back.Plus, let's see what Düsseldorf does next year. Union has a legit chance to survive.

I hope you're right and the bravery/ambition we played with this season dwarfed that of many of these teams you've listed played...but even against a bad Vfb side we were clearly the less talented side, even when Mees & Gogia came on and stuttgart started to wilt under the pressure & exhaustion.

I love Mees n Hartel and have long thought that both had starter potential in the first division, Zulj was an Eberl target before opting for us...and way back when, Grisha Prömel was one of the many interesting prospects to come out of that Karlsruhe system...but Schmiedebach was one of the worst 6s in the BuLi1 before becoming a regular for us and the vultures are already circling around Friedrich. Even if we bring in Kade and don't lose any key figures, the talent gap is real and will be difficult for us to overcome.

That's why I'm just going to enjoy this season for what it is, even if I never see my eiserne in BuLi1 again and all that comes of this is that the higher revenues will help offset some of the costs of the next phase in our stadium reno.

So jealous of my sister, who has an american passport, and moved to Berlin last summer after finishing her degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
We all don't know the roster/management changes. Frankfurt for example is about to loose Rebic, Jovic and Haller. Of course they get money for them, but nobody knows if their replacements click. Plus they will be playing in the EL. That cost Köln the league. I don't say it will happen, but.... Everyone expected Düsseldorf to get relegated. Didn't happen.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Dieter Hecking to HSV.

I have no idea why he does this.

P.S. I just read he only gets a one year contract. WTF? Don't Gladbach pay him for next year anyway?

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Fun fact: the lowly Hansa Rostock had a substantially higher average attendance than both of them combined.
If Hansa gets rid of their right wing fans I'd welcome them in the Bundesliga. Same for Dresden, but Dynamo is rotten from top to bottom. I had hopes back in the day DSC would come back. More tradition anyway.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not sure that the DSC ever had a chance, even when the SGD was playing in a league below them they still were by far the more popular club. It's what it is in the east.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We all don't know the roster/management changes. Frankfurt for example is about to loose Rebic, Jovic and Haller. Of course they get money for them, but nobody knows if their replacements click. Plus they will be playing in the EL. That cost Köln the league. I don't say it will happen, but.... Everyone expected Düsseldorf to get relegated. Didn't happen.

giphy.gif

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Stuttgart’s just not very good. I guess they’ll go through another four or five managers over the next season or two.

They’re going to make it back up, but it’s just dumb

Stuttgart is just a ton of wasted potential unfortunately. And they aren't even a horrible talent destroying circus like Hamburg.
I actually liked what Reschke did before he brought in the Aogos and Castros of this world.

They had a bad season but they really shouldn't have lost to a crappy club like Union.
Now they will lose a ton of their good young talent for almost for way too cheap and it will set them back another 3-5 years or so.

Hope they will be back soon. They belong in the Bundesliga.
One reason why Bayern is so dominant is that clubs with massive potential like Stuttgart, HSV and Schalke have been run horribly for the last decade and a half.

I mean Dortmund went bankrupt and almost ceased to exist 15 years ago and now they are closer to Bayern by a lot then any of those teams.
Just shows you how important good management is.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, I mean, they're getting a bunch of money from selling Pavard, and honestly, it won't make much difference.

They have some young players who can improve, but like you said, they might move them on. I'm hopeful if Mislintat is given time, he can use the funds they do have.

With the Daimler money, attendance and redevelopment of the arena for 2024, they're an attractive proposition. It really wouldn't take much, but they just take two steps back for each step forward.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He should speak to his coach who would invite the other team to take shots in good areas once we got the lead against second half of the table teams.

I don't really buy that it is a problem of mentality/concentration against worse teams. They were mostly sunk by that bad period of play through February and the beginning of March when they had 1 win, 3 draws, and 4 losses in 8 games and Leverkusen were the only top team they played in the Bundesliga, but in which they also were destroyed by a good team like Tottenham in the Champions League.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Stuttgart is just a ton of wasted potential unfortunately. And they aren't even a horrible talent destroying circus like Hamburg.
I actually liked what Reschke did before he brought in the Aogos and Castros of this world.

They had a bad season but they really shouldn't have lost to a crappy club like Union.
Now they will lose a ton of their good young talent for almost for way too cheap and it will set them back another 3-5 years or so.

Hope they will be back soon. They belong in the Bundesliga.
One reason why Bayern is so dominant is that clubs with massive potential like Stuttgart, HSV and Schalke have been run horribly for the last decade and a half.

I mean Dortmund went bankrupt and almost ceased to exist 15 years ago and now they are closer to Bayern by a lot then any of those teams.
Just shows you how important good management is.

Though Stuttgart's u19 just messed up a 3-1 halftime lead (Dortmund won the final 5-3) they have a strong history in finding and developing young talents. If only their management had the same quality.
Hitz has a lot of work to do.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well, they find it. It just seems they shuttle it off before it really develops in some cases. Or they block the path to the starting lineup with meh purchases.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Düsseldorf has a fairly abysmal goalkeeping situation, probably will get to play a lot there.
Fortuna was apparenty after Esser. One of our better players. Yesterday our local paper reports Esser stays. Don't know why.

In other news: Lasogga moves to Qatar. No surprise, nobody in Europe (except HSV) would ever pay him that much money.
https://www.transfermarkt.de/top-ve...-1-9-mio-euro-weniger-gehalt/view/news/329104

update, according to bild he'll be making up to 10m with no taxes. lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->