German Football 2018/2019 Part II

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Whatever happened to Johannes Eggestein? Was supposed to be some kind of once in a generation talent according to coaches, etc.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Same thing that happened wit Passlack, Gotze and the rest of the future German Balon D'or winners. They more than any other nationality are heavily overrated on here. (doesn't make them bad) just not as good as hyped.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How has Favre lost it? Dortmund has a young team and some injured players.
Some ups and downs are normal. The rebuild isnt finished yet. I heared the BVB is interested in Max and Eggestein. Would be two good signings in my opinion.

BVB wohl an Philipp Max, Timo Werner und Maximilian Eggestein interessiert

They have a superior material to anyone but FC Bayern, yet within three matches they have blown a 3:0 lead in 12 minutes, got annihilated by mediocre Tottenham, and were unable to score against the worst team in the league that hadn't kept a clean sheet against any opponent since September. That's now perfectly avoidable five games in a row without a win, which cost them two different competitions, there can't be excuses for a sixth anymore.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Whatever happened to Johannes Eggestein? Was supposed to be some kind of once in a generation talent according to coaches, etc.

He's a 20 year old who was pushed to a wide position and is still scoring at a pretty good rate for a wide player. I don't think he has busted yet.

Same thing that happened wit Passlack, Gotze and the rest of the future German Balon D'or winners. They more than any other nationality are heavily overrated on here. (doesn't make them bad) just not as good as hyped.

Or Ter Stegen. They hyped him to the heavens in here.

No one said Passlack was going to be more than adequate btw.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's a 20 year old who was pushed to a wide position and is still scoring at a pretty good rate for a wide player. I don't think he has busted yet.

Or Ter Stegen. They hyped him to the heavens in here.

No one said Passlack was going to be more than adequate btw.
No that Argentinian is class best player in the world. After Ascacibar.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
They have a superior material to anyone but FC Bayern, yet within three matches they have blown a 3:0 lead in 12 minutes, got annihilated by mediocre Tottenham, and were unable to score against the worst team in the league that hadn't kept a clean sheet against any opponent since September. That's now perfectly avoidable five games in a row without a win, which cost them two different competitions, there can't be excuses for a sixth anymore.

Favre isn't getting sacked over a bad five game stretch. This team has had a bad 4 or 5 game stretch every year since they got good.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
To be fair, those guys are really talented. @cgf got a little bit over-enthusiastic, because there's quite a difference between being a young talent and being among the best pros.
Some have injuries, some have bad career choices, some don't progress like they should, etc...
It's tough to project youngsters.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011

No one said Passlack or Draxler will be future Balon D'or winners.
The only player i would consider is the young Götze. He was a fantastic player. Götze slowly gets better but he is still not the old one. He lost his 1vs1 skill. Maybe because of wrong training.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wasn't saying that he was a bust. Just surprised he hasn't really broken out so to speak given the hype and his obvious talents. Though from what I'd heard he was also being mishandled; I just figured someone who was supposed to be as good as he was reported to be would have been further along.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Good move. Getting a German to help you with your "choking in finals" problem. ;)

Could be worse we could crash out in the group stages... :)

No one said Passlack or Draxler will be future Balon D'or winners.
The only player i would consider is the young Götze. He was a fantastic player. Götze slowly gets better but he is still not the old one. He lost his 1vs1 skill. Maybe because of wrong training.

Those were random hyped players I mentioned. Although pretty sure it was Draxler and Gotze who got the tag. Evilo is right it's one certain avs fan that overhypes German players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How has Favre lost it? Dortmund has a young team and some injured players.
Some ups and downs are normal. The rebuild isnt finished yet. I heared the BVB is interested in Max and Eggestein. Would be two good signings in my opinion.

BVB wohl an Philipp Max, Timo Werner und Maximilian Eggestein interessiert

Both of those would be good signings. Eggestein joining likely means Dahoud is going. We need a LB to come in and replace Schmelzer whose not any good anymore.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I thought Götze would be a Top 5 player. That was not overhyped. With 19/20 he was the best player at his age group. 2012 he had 10 Goals and 12 assists for Dortmund. Who thought to this time he will be weaker with 26.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wasn't saying that he was a bust. Just surprised he hasn't really broken out so to speak given the hype and his obvious talents. Though from what I'd heard he was also being mishandled; I just figured someone who was supposed to be as good as he was reported to be would have been further along.

The talent is still there. I think a young striker who doesn't have excellent physical attributes (either speed or strength) will probably not tear up a good league as a teenager. A starting role and a bunch of goals should come as he matures physically.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
JoJo had a serious injury that delayed his jump to the senior level & is still getting acclimated; while being played on the wing because of the roster composition. His physical attributes don't stand out; as his potential comes from his intelligence, instincts & skill, and those types of strikers have typically not made a big splash before 22/23...when they've grown into their bodies & had some time to learn how senior team defenses function...at least in germany. Hell Werner didn't break out until 21 & he can f***ing fly. JoJo should break through quicker than Klose, Kruse or Stindl, but he's still got a couple seasons to get there.

Draxler has world class talent...he just needs half an hour on the ball to make decisions...which was one of the biggest reasons I was pounding the table for him to leave schalke two years before he eventually did. Odds are that not much would have changed & he never would have reached that BdO potential that he had because he just doesn't have the mind of a player on that level...but at ages where he needed to be learning from the best, he was complacently stagnating under crap coaching and learning nothing.

Dahoud's stagnation is 100% connected to ego/drive, Favre didn't give him a chance before stepping down because of it...though the kid did seem to get his head on straight under Schubert...and it's reappeared as a problem ever since Eberl agreed to sell him to BVB. Mo's still a great talent & game changer when he wants to be, and if he matures before it's too late, there's still hope for his career...but he needs a reality check to sink in.

btdubs; there's a difference between a kid's potential/ceiling & the level they actually reach; the latter being incapable of changing the former. Gotze & Draxler did have BdO potential, they just ended up amongst the multitude of kids with that potential who never actually reached it :dunno:

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

This forum has the same five or six posters overhyping or slating young talents based on their own biases all the time. One or two of those posters happen to favor German players, but that's not exclusive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->