Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Guy was already perhaps the worst coach in franchise history.
Already had a longer rope than any coach in franchise history.
Then the team falls off the map and posts what's likely the worst season in franchise history, and people still find excuses.
You can't reason with that.
And here's the difference between thinking the guy stinks and making things up to fit a narrative. Finding this link took all of ten seconds:

List of Detroit Red Wings head coaches - Wikipedia

Right off the bat, there's 10-12 coaches with a worse winning percentage, some by a wide margin. There are also a few coaches with similar to worse winning percentages, who coached a similar amount of games.

I don't particularly like the way Jeff Blashill does certain things. And I wouldn't bat an eye if he's replaced this summer. But stop bending the truth to make it sound like the Wings are a drastically better roster than their record indicates, and they're just being dragged down by a nitwit behind the bench.

EDIT: And as for worst season in history, they're currently on pace for 20 wins and 47 points. The two worst seasons are:
  • The 1985-86 Red Wings -- 17-57-6, .250 winning percentage
  • The 1976-77 Red Wings -- 16-55-9, .256 winning percentage

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And here's the difference between thinking the guy stinks and making things up to fit a narrative. Finding this link took all of ten seconds:

List of Detroit Red Wings head coaches - Wikipedia

Right off the bat, there's 10-12 coaches with a worse winning percentage, some by a wide margin. There are also a few coaches with similar to worse winning percentages, who coached a similar amount of games.

I don't particularly like the way Jeff Blashill does certain things. And I wouldn't bat an eye if he's replaced this summer. But stop bending the truth to make it sound like the Wings are a drastically better roster than their record indicates, and they're just being dragged down by a nitwit behind the bench.

EDIT: And as for worst season in history, they're currently on pace for 20 wins and 47 points. The two worst seasons are:
  • The 1985-86 Red Wings -- 17-57-6, .250 winning percentage
  • The 1976-77 Red Wings -- 16-55-9, .256 winning percentage

No Red Wings coach in franchise history had coached 4 straight full seasons outside of the playoffs.

The 70s and 80s teams didn't have loser points.
The game was wide open (no parity) and there was no cap.

If this team finishes around.250-280, this team is worse

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Duhatschek Notebook: Bye week evolution, Vegas coaching...
The advantage of bringing in a new coach, even if it is just for the final 25 or 30 games of the season, is you get the introductory part of the equation over right away. Now, your new coach has the final third of the season to get to know his players and the players get to learn something about the new coach. It may well be valuable for that new coach to learn who is still digging in, even if it’s garbage time in a lost season, because that may tell you something about their character and commitment that’s valuable to know going forward.

Reactions: Snuggs

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No Red Wings coach in franchise history had coached 4 straight full seasons outside of the playoffs.
Nor had they inherited the wake of a 25-year playoff streak, complete with the consequences of delaying an overdue rebuild.

The 70s and 80s teams didn't have loser points.
The game was wide open (no parity) and there was no cap.
And yet the current roster is still on pace for more wins.

If this team finishes around.250-280, this team is worse
You're moving the goalposts, but perhaps the question that needs to be asked is:

In the entire history of this franchise, is this the least total talent per dollar ever assembled?

Because if there's a "worst ever" record to be set, this is where I'd look first.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Nor had they inherited the wake of a 25-year playoff streak, complete with the consequences of delaying an overdue rebuild.

And yet the current roster is still on pace for more wins.

You're moving the goalposts, but perhaps the question that needs to be asked is:

In the entire history of this franchise, is this the least total talent per dollar ever assembled?

Because if there's a "worst ever" record to be set, this is where I'd look first.

85-86 with Yzerman injured (or was that the mono season?) was pretty ugly.
Probably the worst team I remember watching was 81-82.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Two road games before the break. If something happens with Blashill, it’ll be shortly after we get back from Minnesota, or it likely isn’t happening until April.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Two road games before the break. If something happens with Blashill, it’ll be shortly after we get back from Minnesota, or it likely isn’t happening until April.

Yep.
If there's any changing this season, then maybe that Minnesota game is it for Blash.

If not, who knows? Offseason, I guess.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I very much agree. The most logical time to cut bait is over the break. If he makes it back from the break he is here until the end of the season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly think Yzerman is waiting till season's end. I think there would be more "insider" hinting of him getting fired early, given how bad we have been. It is also entirely possible that Yzerman has someone in mind, that no one is even thinking of and will make that hire at season's end. I also have a worrying fear, that he may extend Blashill if he likes him as much as some are saying.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Hold on now, Nemeth is immensely better than Jensen. Even in this disaster season, Nemeth has given us solid defense pretty much all year, with a few bad games. Jensen is what I thought he was, a 7th defender thrust into action, because we had no one else. A number of Caps fans are already hoping they can get rid of him, as he has no business in the top 6 of a top team, or a middle team. Jensen does nothing well other than skate and is below average at pretty much every hockey skill.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I agree with your assessment, but what I was mainly pointing out was that the collective sum of what Yzerman brought in =/= what went out from last season, which is likely a factor in why the team is so much more terrible this season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I swear I heard Keating during one of the games last week say something along the lines of "now that we know Blashill will be here for the remainder of the season..."

I didn't bother rewinding or anything because I figured that news would be everywhere

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
KLAS reported Gallant to NJ because of a troll account on Twitter. The dream lives!

Correction: Former Knights coach Gerard Gallant not named New Jersey Devils head coach

I have high hopes for gallant to come aboard in the summer. If it were to happen it would be the most confident I have been in our management for the wings in a while.

I don’t stand in the crowd that wants to burn blash at the stake because I don’t think he’s been giving the best teams to ice day in day out. No way though gallant isn’t a upgrade and it would be great to get a new voice in the locker room.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Guy was already perhaps the worst coach in franchise history.
Already had a longer rope than any coach in franchise history.
Then the team falls off the map and posts what's likely the worst season in franchise history, and people still find excuses.
You can't reason with that.

Hah, I thought you were talking about Gallant at first and was like wtf?

That said, I agree. It’s baffling the lengths people go to justifyBlash still being in charge here

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I think that if we hired Gallant when he was fired with players returning from injury, even if Gallant could have got the most out of the team, we still would have been a long shot not to finish last and we certainly would have finished bottom 3. Which would have guaranteed a top 6 pick. It seems that after the first pick there isn't much separation between the next half dozen or so.
I wouldn't have taken a chance on someone else signing Gallant before us and would have nabbed him right away. Hopefully Yzerman has talked to him and has him lined up for next season.
I was hoping Holland would have signed him when he became available after the Panthers fired him (and I thought because of the Wings connection and the state of the team that there was a chance he might). I am sure the Panthers were kicking themselves in the ass for that move and so were some Wing brass for not jumping on the opportunity as well presidents of other teams.

During Balshill's tenure with the Wings Berube, Trotz (twice), Keefe, as well as others and the coaches they have replaced have shown just how much if a difference good and bad coaching can make.
It's hard to believe that Gallant has been fired twice during Blashill's tenure with the Wings.

xlarge

Reactions: MBH

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I feel like Gallant has grown a lot as a coach over the years. I find that depressingly rare in this league. Also like the tone he sets for young teams. He may not be the guy to polish up the team down the line but I think he’d be just what the doctor ordered in the interim.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I have generally been an advocate for keeping Blashill in, my track record on the board will attest too this, but after that performance against Philly tonight, I dunno. I recognise that he hasn't been playing with a full deck so too speak, but I think we need a complete clear out behind the bench and some fresh voices. There was some "quit" (un-quantifiable though it may be) in that performance tonight. When that starts too happen, you've had it as a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad