Cut/Released: Gerald McCoy (signs with the Panthers)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah NFL money isn't guaranteed but still, seems a bit iffy that teams can (yes, depends on the structure) hold onto players for over two months into free agency and then cut them with no repercussions, while the player will experience more difficulty to find a new team with rosters being mostly set.
Gerald McCoy won't have any difficulty finding a team.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
McCoy is simply a cap casualty. Still a good player, but teams knew the Bucs had to dump him one way or another so they just waited for them to release him.

Gotta imagine he goes to a contender. Guy's played 8 seasons without even so much as sniffing the playoffs.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Of course he will find a team, but his leverage and options are a lot more limited than what they would've been if he was set to search a team in March.
That's true. Dez ran into the same problem when the Cowboys cut him very late in free agency. Dez was never going to get the money he wanted, but by the time he was able to start asking around, a lot of teams had filled their one spot they give to a veteran WR who used to be good.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Yeah NFL money isn't guaranteed but still, seems a bit iffy that teams can (yes, depends on the structure) hold onto players for over two months into free agency and then cut them with no repercussions, while the player will experience more difficulty to find a new team with rosters being mostly set.
I totally agree. It's absolutely dreadful for the player. On the other hand it's 100 times better than all the other major sports especially as a fan. Still I do hope a new CBA changes that to some degree.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I totally agree. It's absolutely dreadful for the player. On the other hand it's 100 times better than all the other major sports especially as a fan. Still I do hope a new CBA changes that to some degree.
Seems under handed to cut guys after free agency is basically complete and most teams have spent their money.

But again up to the player and his agent to structure their deals better. Don’t add years 4-5 into the deal if you don’t have any guaranteed money. All it does is give teams the opportunity to extend signing bonus money out further to help their cap.

That gives the team more incentive to pull this maneuver on their players.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Surprised it’s between these 3, none of them scream “contender” to me
If the money is sizeably more than what a contender is offering (including guaranteed money) then its not surprising he’s taking the money. Winning is a bonus but Players still want to get paid especially if they are playing a lot. Different if he was going to be a Sub package player.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Have to figure it's between Cleveland and Carolina.

Money is the driving factor but those two teams also have better than nill odds of contending. Baltimore's defense got blown up overnight so i don't see them going anywhere.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The Ravens still have a top 10 DLine and arguably the best secondary in the entire league and their only question marks are at positions they're historically very good at developing players in. It's still going to be at worst the 8th or so best defence in football.

But that whole "must play for a contender" thing is hogwash since none of those teams are really close to a surefire playoff lock anyways.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I’m a bit surprised the Saints didn’t try to bring him in for a visit. They could use some help on the interior of the Dline with Sheldon Rankins set to miss part of the season and David Onyemata facing a potential suspension.

They did sign Malcolm Brown from the Patriots which should help but, might as well go all in when you have Brees who’s not getting any younger. This year could be the Saints last chance at a Lombardi for quite some time depending on what Brees and the Saints decide come next off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad