Recalled/Assigned: Gerald Mayhew

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
17 goals scored over 3 games, his linemates have accumulated a combined 11pts in those games, Mayhew has 0.

Just making note of the current status. Not drawing any conclusions yet.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

P10p

May 15, 2012
17 goals scored over 3 games, his linemates have accumulated a combined 11pts in those games, Mayhew has 0.

Just making note of the current status. Not drawing any conclusions yet.

He has played pretty well and has made plays leading up to a few of these goals. Not that i'm trying to counter you, just saying.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been impressed. No points, but he has made a lot of things possible. He's got decent speed, too.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Ya, m thinking that's flukey as hell. I'd bet if you look at the tape he's got like 6 3rd assists. He has def been involved.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ask Russo: The latest on Kaprizov, Wild playoff push,...
Do you think these 4-6 games are indicative of what Mayhew is going to be? In other words, was it a fair test to see if he’s an NHLer?
— NorthStarsFanFo

I do think the Wild gave him a fair shot. They gave him four games on the first line (when Donato’s being forced to play the fourth line with no power-play minutes) alongside Fiala. Mayhew also got power-play time. The Wild scored 20 goals in those four games, and Mayhew didn’t produce a point. Small sample size? Absolutely. But this was his chance to be a dog on a bone, and we didn’t see it. He plays hard. He generates shots. He has great offensive instincts. But it didn’t amount to any production. We also saw on the power play how the AHL ain’t the NHL. This is a power-play star in the minors, yet he played the bumper position in the NHL and was smothered. I like Mayhew a lot, but I think it’s clear that leading the AHL in goals doesn’t necessarily translate to being a top NHL scorer. Don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying he can’t play in this league. But we all always criticize the Wild for calling guys up from the minors and not putting them in positions to succeed. They did this time.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fair or not, if he doesn't start scoring he soon, he'll be going down.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Also have to wonder how much of him not getting on the score sheet is because he is still finding chemistry with all the players. Hard for anyone to acclimate themselves when given a short amount of time pro athlete or not.
In 3 of those games on the top line, his linemates had 11 combined points. It's clear chemistry wasn't an issue.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Still a small sample size. I'm pulling for the young man.
Small sample size in the most prime chance for success getting the prime minutes with PP time and weak opponents, with points flooding all around him. He's not going to get a better chance than he had.

I was pulling for him to succeed too, but reality is, he's not cut out for the top 6 in the NHL.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
I haven’t given up on him yet. I wouldn’t go out of my way to make a roster spot for him, but might as well keep him around for when top 6 guys get injured. He will get his chance and if by the end of his contract he hasn’t shown he can produce in the NHL then we know.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Small sample size in the most prime chance for success getting the prime minutes with PP time and weak opponents, with points flooding all around him. He's not going to get a better chance than he had.

I was pulling for him to succeed too, but reality is, he's not cut out for the top 6 in the NHL.
Agreed. They set him up for success. Time to start sliding him down the lineup over the next 8 to send the message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad