GDT: GER vs USA

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ugly win but a win nonetheless. I guess the good news is the kids came to play and DeSmith was sound in net.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Heartbreaking to Germans. By all accounts, they played 3 good games and still have 0 points.

Having said that these losses don't really matter if they beat teams they are supposed to beat.

Reactions: illone84

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ugly win but a win nonetheless. I guess the good news is the kids came to play and DeSmith was sound in net.

Hopefully they look at this as a character win. Kahun and Noebels had glorious chances to tie it late, DeSmith also stopped Kastner with a great chance in there too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hopefully they look at this as a character win. Kahun and Noebels had glorious chances to tie it late, DeSmith also stopped Kastner with a great chance in there too.
Germany is a very tough opponent at this level and deserve a better fate with three games in the books. That said, we came away with the win and overcame some diversity to do so. That's character building. DeSmith has looked very solid as well which is reassuring as we don't always get quality goaltending at this tournament.

Reactions: Chainshot

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@KahunWOW
Exactly.
Lets hope they can convice Draisaitl to come, because the insurance has been figured out.
Somebody get a Bundeswehr plane to Edmonton ASAP, so that we can fly him to tampare, if he wants.
Or Stützle has a change of heart or something.
We need somebody to finish those chances.

Reactions: Huusko

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
Such a pity, after 3 close games against Sweden, Finland and the US, the German team still has 0 points.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Heartbreaking to Germans. By all accounts, they played 3 good games and still have 0 points.

Having said that these losses don't really matter if they beat teams they are supposed to beat.
Except they will finish 4th in group and will be looking at another QF exit. All that for getting their best D’s to the tourney

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
How was Seider against USA? He was sad to watch against Finland, dude is supposed to be one of the best young d-men in the NHL and he is just standing there and surfing around & waiting for someone to pass to him, night and day difference to Makar or Heiskanen for example.

He looked better when he played in the SHL.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
While selecting all his role players, the german coach forgot that one role is to score goals.

A sniper like Bokk should have been one of the first few selections.

And yeah obviously any of Stützle or Reichel would be insane/great.

Also looking at all the chances Germany missed, it makes you appreciate how good of a shot Draisaitl has. Like honestly half these shots are just automatic for him.

Seider was great. Him and Peterka are on a different level imo.
Seiders penalty at the end was a little stupid though.

Reactions: Edenjung

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Except they will finish 4th in group and will be looking at another QF exit. All that for getting their best D’s to the tourney
Objectively, unless you finish first in the group, you aren't gonna get much weaker competition so a few points here and there, while deserved, would have hardly changed anything. Case in point: Canada, presumably the scariest team in Group B, has dropped points already and likely won't be finishing 1st.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The typical thing for Germany to do would to now play very poorly and lose against the teams they're meant to beat after having nearly beaten the better opponents.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The typical thing for Germany to do would to now play very poorly and lose against the teams they're meant to beat after having nearly beaten the better opponents.

Yes, we have all seen this film before, at all levels (U20 and U18 as well).
Strong performances in the games where they are the underdogs, and then when it really counts they can't even get close to matching those performances.

I hope it will be different, but they cannot take any of the remaining teams lightly, since they are perfectly capable to lose to each one of them, including Hungary, who are probably supposed to be the weakest team in the group.

But let's focus on the positive for now. I am somewhat biased, so I have to ask, am I the only one who really likes Stachowiak's game so far?
A couple of years ago I really thought his development had stalled a bit, but his play this season was a revelation, and I think he continues this at the World Championship.

Reactions: Huusko and KahunWOW

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
Any comment about Leon Hüttl? Since I haven`t watched all games, how was his performance so far?

Is it realistic, that he might get a chance by an NHL team?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Any comment about Leon Hüttl? Since I haven`t watched all games, how was his performance so far?

Is it realistic, that he might get a chance by an NHL team?

I think Hüttl is hurt a bit by the fact that Seider, Wissmann and now Gawanke are also on the team.
Without them he would likely have played a much bigger role.
For the most part he has not been very noticeable for me, which is not that bad for a defenseman, but if he hopes to generate any NHL interest he needs to stand out more, and I don't think he will get much of chance to do that within this group of defensemen, playing less than 12 minutes per game so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad