George Parros = Dirty SOB?

Discussion in 'Hockey Fights' started by JimmyDarmody, Apr 7, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. JimmyDarmody

JimmyDarmody Registered User

I'm a pretty neutral hockey fights enthusiast. I always hear how George Parros is a great stand-up guy off the ice, but I didn't really like what I saw from him tonight.

He got a bit of flak earlier this year for how Colton Orr's head got driven into the ice. It happened really fast and I don't think it's fair to determine any intent when bodies are flying that quickly. But tonight he got into a tilt with Mashinter. Mashinter drops the lid on a square-off, and Parros doesn't. Whatever. But at the end of the fight Mashinter loses his balance and you see Parros throw one clear shot while Mash is on his knees and starts throwing another which turns into more of a forearm shiver that intentionally drives Mashinter's head into the ice and busts him open.

Skip to 1:50 for a slow-mo closeup.

2. ponder

ponder Registered User

Just unfortunate accidents both times IMO, sucks that Orr is still out and hopefully Mashinter is OK, but I don't think Parros is intentionally driving heads into the ice. I guess you could say Parros could have let up a bit early in the Mashinter fight, but just cause a guy is on his knees does not mean the fight is over, you sort of have to keep punching until the fight is truly done.

3. Sigh

Sigh Blidh for me

Looks like he just fell on top of the guy. I don't see anything "dirty" there.

4. Barklez

Barklez Registered User

I think calling it intentional is a stretch... He let's up on his punch when he sees that if he connects he's going to be bouncing the guys face off the ice. Looked like as he lost his balance he panicked and tried to plant that arm/hand as fast as he could and it happened to be on the back of Mashinter's head.

From my experience, any player that would intentionally drive another player's head into the ice isn't going to pat him on the back, in respect, after the fight, and certainly isn't going to be the one motioning for the trainer to come help the guy he's just intentionally injured.

Classy fight as usual from Parros, unfortunate way for it to end.

5. rgb63

rgb63 Registered User

This.

6. BamBamCam*

BamBamCam* Guest

I don't know what half of you would have done watching a game in the 70s or even the 80s.

Every day there are 10 threads about dirty hits, 15 threads about suspensions and now fights are being combed through for dirtiness.

Hockey will be like soccer very soon unless this mentality dies off

7. Barklez

Barklez Registered User

So... did you read past the OP? or...

8. BamBamCam*

BamBamCam* Guest

I did but I guess that means I can not comment according to you because others have echoed what I said.

9. Barklez

Barklez Registered User

Just sayin'... you may have noticed and acknowledged that more than half of us were perfectly fine with the link/fight.

10. JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba Registered User

That looked painfull. I hope Brandon is ok.

11. BamBamCam*

BamBamCam* Guest

I understand but I was babbling more about the state of hockey then this one particular thread. All you have to do is look and find at least one thread per day about some hit or some play that one fan base screams was dirty. Threads like this are becoming a daily occurrence whether the play was dirty or not.

We just had one guy entitle his thread, "the real dirty hit of the night" or something close to that because someone had posted about some other hit where he wanted a 2 game suspension. But when you look at the replay the player wasn't hit or was barely grazed in the head and the other play while ugly looking wasn't a devastating hit . But both fans had a spasmodic rant about it with tons of people agreeing.

I used to be apart of a hockey site when I started noticing two years ago that you couldn't make it through one day without someone crying about some play that happened. It was a heavily moderated site so I blew it off as such and went about my merry way. But I am seeing it on every hockey site now. Player takes a big hit and one fan base screams murder, suspensions or dirty play and in some cases like Montreal, they literally cry murder.

Is it everyone that watches hockey....no, but the fact it is happening on every web site and everyday has me concerned for hockey. I don't agree with Milbury much but I am thinking his statement about the *****fication of hockey is coming true.

12. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I don't see anything dirty at the end, but Parros really should have taken off the lid there.

13. Paris in Flames

Paris in Flames Registered User

I don't remember anybody getting on Parros for the Orr injury this year. Orr lost balance and hit his face on the ice, nothing Parros was secretly planning or anything.

I see the same thing with this fight. Pure accident. He shows way too much respect after the fight (patting him on the back or wherever) and then far too much concern by calling for the trainer.

My opinion of Parros actually goes up because of this.

14. moog35

moog35 Registered User

This was definitely not intentional. Did Machinster remove his lid because he wears a visor? Parros doesn't but he still probably should have removed his to be fair though its far from whn Horton took off his helmet with no visor and Phaneuf left his shield on

15. stingo

stingo Registered User

I see nothing but respect in this video from Parros.

16. RemoteFan

RemoteFan Couch GM

When Parros was put in the box they had the camera on him. He asked "Is he ok?" and someone responded which lead Parros to shake his head and mouth ok. I can only guess that the person said he would be fine or hes ok. He even patted him on the ass while they were laying on the ground. That right there must say "Dirty SOB"

George is a standup guy and more so than a lot of guys in the league. He is an enforcer but is not out to cause serious injury.

17. Elvis Presley

Elvis Presley Aka #30

This is how dirty I think George Parros is... I clicked this thread and expected a picture of him off the ice all muddy or something stupid, then proceed to post 'Misleading thread title' in here...

18. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    Parros is probably the classiest enforcer in the league.

19. Duke749

Duke749 Formerly "BigTuna49"

This is a perfect example of why players need to have their helmets on.

20. Danish Pastry

Danish Pastry this is dream!

Watching playoff hockey!
    Parros did nothing wrong... Mash just lost his balance and it was unfortunate...

also you can see Parros on the ice after making sure he is ok...

I hate a ton of ducks players but Parros is actually one of their good guys... Always goes after the fighters and doesnt throw late punches...

never have had a problem with him especially this...

21. jax00

jax00 DangleSnipe&Celly

Respect for that kid. Looked ****ing painful.

22. GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth Registered User

This. As much as I hate that overuse of classiness on this board, George is one of the last people I would ever say is a dirty SOB

23. Evil Janney

Evil Janney Registered User

I'm a Sharks fan and I saw nothing wrong with it. Its hard to maintain balance while fighting on skates and both guys fell a bit awkwardly. Even before this incident I've never had inclinations to believe Parros was "Dirty" or "Cheap", he has his role to fulfill, and does it very well. Plus, that love tap at the end of the fight...thats all class.

24. LEN

LEN Registered User

Sums it up for me. I was at the game. The ducks feed also showed Parros showing concern while in the box, asking if he was ok.

I got nothing bad to say about Parros.

25. LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist Retired

It was an accident. Parros isn't that type of guy.