Geoff Ward... Keep him or find someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
While the players may like the lighter approach of Geoff Ward, I think they know this is not the way to get the team through multiple rounds of the playoffs.
They need a task master and as much as they seemed to dislike Peters his first season, they were 2nd overall in the West under his guidance.

Open the coffers and pay to have someone like a Gallant call Calgary home for the next 3 years, let's see how that goes!

Sure. But at the same time, if we can get the players comfortable in their positions (ie: Not misusing them in roster positions) before we get that task manager, we would see even more benefits from a task manager coach. This is why I appreciate what Ward has done. This is also why I have also said if we can land a GG/Lavi/BB, we gotta try.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If this many coaches haven't gotten a consistent effort from this core, then you have to start asking is that a thing with the core
That and certain deficiencies they tried to fill with guys coming up from the farm or UFA's. I also think the Flames didn't aggressively replace the likes of Stajan and Frolik. Keeping those guys too long hindered the development of replacement centres and wingers. We also haven't iced a strong 4th line for quite a while.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If this many coaches haven't gotten a consistent effort from this core, then you have to start asking is that a thing with the core

This would be true in some form of principle, minus the fact there's been an inconsistent system which can explain the inconsistent performance.

Hartley has had the most consistent system so far. It was too simple though. Other teams coaches learned to dismantle it via play books.

Gully had like 3 systems in 2 seasons all of which weren't good for the team. High learning curve. Then he didn't adjust for playoffs. Destroyed by an opponents playbook again.

Peters system worked at first and was totally different from Gully, then he tweaked something wrong and the tires fell off in a way that the team couldn't recover from. Team tuned him out because of some red flags. If he really just said some bad words to players a long time ago and has changed, he's not gone. I'd also like to mention that Lack and Darlings careers ended after he was their coach. Cam Ward was almost done as well.

Ward had constantly built on top of peters system, tweaked things heavily and we saw the most growth from players since Hartley in 2015. Sample size isn't big enough for consistency yet.

I'm all for a shake up, but I do want to mention that the systems have been quite inconsistent for a while. I think we are entering a fine tuning phase though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This would be true in some form of principle, minus the fact there's been an inconsistent system which can explain the inconsistent performance.

Hartley has had the most consistent system so far. It was too simple though. Other teams coaches learned to dismantle it via play books.

Gully had like 3 systems in 2 seasons all of which weren't good for the team. High learning curve. Then he didn't adjust for playoffs. Destroyed by an opponents playbook again.

Peters system worked at first and was totally different from Gully, then he tweaked something wrong and the tires fell off in a way that the team couldn't recover from. Team tuned him out because of some red flags. If he really just said some bad words to players a long time ago and has changed, he's not gone. I'd also like to mention that Lack and Darlings careers ended after he was their coach. Cam Ward was almost done as well.

Ward had constantly built on top of peters system, tweaked things heavily and we saw the most growth from players since Hartley in 2015. Sample size isn't big enough for consistency yet.

I'm all for a shake up, but I do want to mention that the systems have been quite inconsistent for a while. I think we are entering a fine tuning phase though.

Preach it.

Reactions: Fig

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
ya this is pro hockey and the coach is a big part of it. They need to spend the money.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Get some owner backing, sign a real coach.

Usually it doesn't matter, but I think fan pressure for a top tier coach could actually help ownership to release the shackles on Treliving and he could potentially chase a top tier coach vs more inexpensive options...

I don't hate Ward and I'd love to keep him, but I'd rather we compete ASAP and hopefully help put Gio's name on the grail and not fail him like we failed Iggy...

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
With each and every game that Dallas continues to win, I think it becomes more and more unlikely that there will be a change in Head Coach.
Now adding the publicized staff pay cuts, no new building, no (or low capacity) fans in the Dome - it makes sense on numerous levels to give Ward one more year.
The hope will be if we need to go shopping for a replacement after next season, there will be something worth putting in the shopping basket.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
With each and every game that Dallas continues to win, I think it becomes more and more unlikely that there will be a change in Head Coach.
Now adding the publicized staff pay cuts, no new building, no (or low capacity) fans in the Dome - it makes sense on numerous levels to give Ward one more year.
The hope will be if we need to go shopping for a replacement after next season, there will be something worth putting in the shopping basket.

They were not close to beating dallas after dallas got it together and decided to play

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Friedman says that the Flames are leaning towards Ward as head coach for next season.

More mediocrity on the way. But hey we can pretend he's good because the team had a hot streak under him right?

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Friedman says that the Flames are leaning towards Ward as head coach for next season.

More mediocrity on the way. But hey we can pretend he's good because the team had a hot streak under him right?
Honestly, it's probably down to two things:
- No one's interested in the job. If they were that confident in Ward, he'd have been announced sooner
- Dallas is one win away from the Final

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Honestly, it's probably down to two things:
- No one's interested in the job. If they were that confident in Ward, he'd have been announced sooner
- Dallas is one win away from the Final

Why should this have anything to do with it?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Friedman says it’s looking like Ward will be back. This team is painful man

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
They were not close to beating dallas after dallas got it together and decided to play

Not sure we watched the same series...
I saw a lucky late goal that tied the series 2-2 and a quick 4-0 lead in Game 6. We completely stifled their top line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Why should this have anything to do with it?
It's easier to sell to the fans that Ward doesn't suck because he lost to a team on a mission rather than say ownership doesn't want to pay up and/or no one wants to coach here

Unrelated but I blame Treliving for this playoff disappointment more than I blame coaching

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You guys are so negative. He’s literally the only coach we’ve had that’s done anything with our special teams. We almost won two series on special teams alone. 5 on 5 most teams play pretty much the same style.

He also moved Bennett to C. Monahan to wing (games 4,5,6 Monahan was playing wing yet no one even mentions this.) Hanifin, Andersson, Brodie all played well under him in the bubble. Backlund’s line was missing Tkachuk sorely against Dallas. Basically he just needs to get the top line going.

he’s had some head scratchers and yes I would prefer Laviolette. But there is no guarantee he wanted to coach here.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure we watched the same series...
I saw a lucky late goal that tied the series 2-2 and a quick 4-0 lead in Game 6. We completely stifled their top line.

I watched every minutes. After game 4 which ward coaching lost us the game, the flames were not close to winning. They may have won a few minutes here or there.

There is little doubt the same coach and GM will extend their streak indefinitely.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
By the looks of it, Ward will be the Head Coach, I don't like/I don't hate it.

If Ward does good, well than it is good.

If Ward does bad, well this team is headed for a much needed full scale rebuild.

If Ward fails, Brad Trevling goes with him, this is his last shot. If he does not significantly improve the roster(especially the Center position), the goaltending is also a issue, than it does not matter, who the coach is.

What we know for sure is that they will remain in Calgary for the next 30-35 years, so we will watch this mayhem fold in front of our eyes.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Team was average af under ward by almost every metric. Either he’s a mediocre coach that doesn’t have the ability to take this team to the next level, or Brad has probably not build a cup contending team, and regardless Brady boy is responsible for that situation.

The reality is that our best offensive dman(s) next yr will likely be 2 players that paced for 25 pts this year... they are still young, but that’s a little scary to think about considering how dynamic our defence was just a couple years ago. Losing Brodie and seeing Monahan and Gio’s regression the last while, I don’t think our centre group or defence is even playoff team caliber, and if it is by the slimmest of margins.

Why did we blow 4th rounders on a turnstile la kings dman? Why are all the rumours surrounding this team giving up a first round pick in a great draft when our farm group sucks for players in their 30s at the end of their primes? Idk what vision this team has, but frankly it sucks rn.

Reactions: viper0220

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
This will be Brads last coach likely. Ward’s results were uneven. Sports media likes to quote his overall strong win-loss record since he took over from Peters but I don’t think the Flames played overly well. But that’s the current roster construction. Brad needs to “win” this offseason or he’s likely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad