Confirmed with Link: Geoff Ward is officially head coach

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
im_shocked.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Let's be honest. Who wants to come here? Our situation is way too volatile and precarious for a big name coach to stake his name.

But also, coaching matters but I don't think it matters quite as much as roster construction does. Rick Bowness and Craig Berube were not names that inspired great joy in their respective fanbases but both have done a great job despite their very pedestrian NHL resumes. I also think Ward is better than both Peters and Gulutzan, and there won't be any adjustment period for systems and whatnot given that he had his own training camp and high-stakes games to impose his tactics. He did all he could and I just can't blame him for our top guys taking the playoffs off for the 19th time in a row

Ball's in Treliving's court. It's up to him to improve this team because some of our top players just aren't cutting it. Let's hope he has a better idea for this offseason than Brodie for Kadri

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It will be interesting to see if Ward proceeds with the same assistants or if he hires his own guys

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Geoff "No longer a rookie or interim coach" Ward.

giphy.gif

I don't hate it and I don't love it. Very... lukewarm, even though he far exceeded my expectations of him as an interim coach. I think I have to admit my expectations of him were and still are highly unrealistic as I believe I kept moving the goal posts up every time he quickly met my expectations.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I think this move signifies that Gm Treliving is atleast somewhat happy with what is going on and that a total overhaul may not be forthcoming. Stability isnt a bad thing sometimes, relearning a system every two years hasnt been working either.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think this move signifies that Gm Treliving is atleast somewhat happy with what is going on and that a total overhaul may not be forthcoming. Stability isnt a bad thing sometimes, relearning a system every two years hasnt been working either.

I agree. Stability with a coach so the team can focus on fine tuning rather than constantly re-learning is also an advantage in bringing Ward back. Alternatively, I also think there's also a huge, huge alternative opinion I would have if we have a core shake up in the off season. "It's not the coach, it's the way you boys are operating."

Though this would be especially weird though with how much of the off season opinion of players was that this was one of the tightest cores that even vets like Lucic have ever experienced and that Lucic himself believes it is just a little more more fine tuning towards being a perennial contender...

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm not surprised, I'm just not sure how to feel about it. We'll see in the long run I guess.
I would just assume that Calgary had to have reached out to Laviolette and Gallant and they just said they weren't interested. If that's the case, what choice did we have really?
It's up to the players now moving forward.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
Treliving is the most pathetic GM in the league. God help us if he is the one in charge to trade one of our core players...

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There has to be major changes to the roster, if there are not major changes to roster, we will be in a rebuild mode in 3-4 years.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Treliving is the most pathetic GM in the league. God help us if he is the one in charge to trade one of our core players...

I feel the same way as you but I am going to give him one year because I think this is his last kick at the can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad