Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Greed in the effervescence of existence. It’s that quest which makes market based economies the force that pushes human beings to be their most innovative.

Spoken like a true Molsonite. Economists are the last people who should try to define human nature. They are froth with bias due to their need to peddle anything to justify the egoism of their ideologies.

If you actually look up true behavioral and sociological studies, you would know what pushes humans to innovate is need, purpose and mastery. You would also know that high degrees of competition inevitably leads to corruption and destabilization, two things that play against organized society.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens...eur-selon-le-president-geoff-molson-1.6950752

I was actually in the room at the Cercle Canadien de Montréal as Geoff Molson spent an hour basically trying to convince the room that they should renew their corporate season tickets.

The most nauseating parts of the speech:
1. Bragged about how 11 out of 24 cups have been won under Molson family ownership
2. Repeated the same nonsense about how the best way to achieve success is through stability, and that he was proud to have kept the same (underperforming) management team together (merci Marc!) - and nuanced that by saying he still believes it and that patience is a virtue (followed by him laughing at that last part)

When will this guy understand that stability is a product of success, not the other way around? The way he's going about it only perpetuates an underperforming culture that isn't founded on accountability and high performance.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You would also know that high degrees of competition inevitably leads to corruption and destabilization, two things that play against organized society.
Riiiight...you mean the high degree of competition in the 50s and 60s that led Mtl to being mentioned in the same breath as New York, London, Paris as superpower cities? Or would it be the lack of competition that led Mtl to becoming a corrupt & destabilized also ran that it’s become the last 50-hrs?

The fallacy in life is the belief “human beings are special”, there’s a reason actuarial stats clearly predict 98% of human life falls under the laws of diminishing returns - in other words have little to no value add.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Not spending to the cap for the last 3 years now makes more sense. Let's blow up George Gilette's twitter feed encouraging him to buy the team back!

Molson is hedging his business. If Habs are doing well, he gets more profit from the team. If Habs are performing poorly fans are drowning sorrows in cheap Molson booze.

Winner either way?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Not spending to the cap for the last 3 years now makes more sense. Let's blow up George Gilette's twitter feed encouraging him to buy the team back!

The fortunes of the brewery have next to no impact on Molson. Molson Coors could be reporting record results and it won't affect him.

He isn't relying on it to augment his income and I'm not sure why people keep thinking that TAP is relevant to the management of the team.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The fortunes of the brewery have next to no impact on Molson. Molson Coors could be reporting record results and it won't affect him.

He isn't relying on it to augment his income and I'm not sure why people keep thinking that TAP is relevant to the management of the team.

the irony is both the hockey team and the brewery are in "rebuild mode".....

400-500 workers at Molson who just lost their jobs, coming into Christmas too...lots of family's in a tough spot today.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

It must be relevant though, 500 jobs lost is no joke and earnings per share is down 20% so obviously things are tightening for the corporation.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don't know if it's relevant or not, just being hopeful. I hope that it gets so bad that he looks at selling the team as an option.

Molson has next to investment in the company and it can't possibly impact his management of the team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In the always riveting offerings from the Habs twitter account involving a segment where Geoff Molson answers beach ball type questions, he's being asked this week, gut-wrenching, challenging, intellectual gems like "when will the Habs have ice girls" and "whether Geoff will be joining the Biceps Club."

And to underscore the whole thing, the Habs account offered this screen shot:

XtcrA8z.jpg

Reactions: groovejuice

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Still now, he urges fans to have patience? He's still seeing a brighter future?Yo his own beer made him f***top and badtrip.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
In the always riveting offerings from the Habs twitter account involving a segment where Geoff Molson answers beach ball type questions, he's being asked this week, gut-wrenching, challenging, intellectual gems like "when will the Habs have ice girls" and "whether Geoff will be joining the Biceps Club."

And to underscore the whole thing, the Habs account offered this screen shot:

XtcrA8z.jpg

The cartoon arm is very appropriate as it syncs perfectly with his caricature of a personality.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I don't know if it's relevant or not, just being hopeful. I hope that it gets so bad that he looks at selling the team as an option.
I concur that the Molson family should divest itself of ownership of Les Canadiens. Thereafter, the new owners should fire the entire management group and then engage a full fledge rebuild.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->