Geoff Molson 2012 vs 2016 vs 2018 singing the same old song

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Geoff Molson
April 2018
“We are the NHL’s most storied franchise and we owe it to our fans to achieve a standard of excellence that they expect,” he said. “We need to bring back the winning culture that we did not see this season. If I could leave our fans with one message today it is that we will get better on and off the ice.

“On the ice, changes will be required and we intend to look at all areas with a view to improve. Off the ice, we’ll be improving our communications for the fans across all areas of the organization. And also, when you come to the Bell Centre next season, your fan experience will be different and improved in several key areas.”

Geoff Molson
April 2016

Dear fans,
It has been a tough year. As a fan, I find that the results of our team were disappointing. There are likely many reasons that explain what happened, but I am not interested in excuses. I am interested in making our team better.
As far as what to expect in the off-season, I will let our hockey operations team, led by Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien, detail these in due time. When you have a disappointing season like the one we just had, no stone can be left unturned in looking for ways to improve. You have my full commitment that we will do everything possible to improve our team.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Geoff Molson 2012

"It's my responsibility to identify solutions and rebuild the winning culture that the history and traditions of this club demand," Molson said. "We need to remember: The fans want us to win. Period." And winning for this club is not just making the playoffs, Molson added, but contending for the Stanley Cup

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This needs to find it's way to a Stu Cowan or someone in the franco media, and then publically have Molson called out on it!! We are sick of Molson and Bergevin and their lip service............nothing EVER changes.

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Quotes are not needed. The fact this guy continues to put his trust in Bergevin is all we need to know. He is a terrible owner.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I truly believe Molson cares. I think he really wants to build a winning team and have that legacy for himself.

The problem is I think he's been way too trusting in Bergevin. I don't get it, because the fans in general seem to be well aware of it, but I guess it's either a blind spot or stubbornness that he made the decision to bring in MB and doesn't want to let go.

Until he does, we're stuck singing the same old song, and I'm afraid this off-season will be more of the same. Hopefully the patience will finally run out before we lose too many more seasons.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I truly believe Molson cares. I think he really wants to build a winning team and have that legacy for himself.

The problem is I think he's been way too trusting in Bergevin. I don't get it, because the fans in general seem to be well aware of it, but I guess it's either a blind spot or stubbornness that he made the decision to bring in MB and doesn't want to let go.

Until he does, we're stuck singing the same old song, and I'm afraid this off-season will be more of the same. Hopefully the patience will finally run out before we lose too many more seasons.

For sure, he absolutely does. He just needs a guy running hockey operations while he sits back and just takes things in from his private suite.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Why would you buy food at the Bell Centre, though.. do you just enjoy wasting money on inferior products? There's so many wonderful places to eat in Montreal before the game..

I was being sarcastic BTW

And yes, we are so lucky in this city on the quality of food and restaurants that we have
Most people go eat before the game and no longer buy food
The only people that will eat that garbage are people that are in the loges or Desjardins sections
No one gives a shit about the food to be honest, he could have at least said that there will be different types of beer instead of that piss beer he offers at that ridiculous price

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He saved $10MM this year on the Cap which is about the equivalent revenue of making it to the semis and they sold out every game regular season, as a business man I'd sing the same tune if the audience kept buying my albums no matter how much they complained about my singing

Until there's no longer sellouts - not talking empty seats where sold tickets aren't used - nothing is changing

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
He saved $10MM this year on the Cap which is about the equivalent revenue of making it to the semis and they sold out every game regular season, as a business man I'd sing the same tune if the audience kept buying my albums no matter how much they complained about my singing

Until there's no longer sellouts - not talking empty seats where sold tickets aren't used - nothing is changing
This can change fairly quickly. Just sit back and watch .

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This can change fairly quickly. Just sit back and watch .
CIubsq7.gif

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We're sick of your crap Geoff. We want results and with both you and your stooge Marc Bergevin in charge we're not likely to get it.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
It is mind boggling that Molson is being given credit for yesterday's press conference by the media, when the guy that has dismantled his team is still standing next to him.

Good god, what has the standards become in Montreal?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Positives about Molson:
- Lets the team spend to the cap (despite the GM not doing it)
- Allows the team to spend $25M over 5 years on a coach
- Lets the team give one way contracts to AHL veterans to help improve Laval
- Doesn't pull a Eugene Melnyk and dictate moves to the GM

The big negative is, he has an inexperienced GM with no oversight by an actual experienced hockey guy. I think Molson would be a very good owner if he had a president underneath him with a lot of hockey experience who could oversee the GM and all of hockey operations, hopefully yesterday by him seeing that the guy in charge of all the hockey operations couldn't answer a bunch of journalist questions was a wake up call.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Molson's main issue is falling for the cars salesman routine of MB. As he said, MB is talking with him everyday. Probably convincing him of why it's just not possible to have done better but we will be Geoff, we will be. Just wait until Price is back on top, etc.

They're having excuses for EVERYONE in the upper management. "It's not fair to fire Sly, we took some players away from him". "It's not fair to hold it against Timmins if the drafts weren't very good, we used some picks to make the playoffs". "I have no yesmen, there's f words in meetings". As if all the other teams don't face the same challenges and realities.

What they DON'T have is results. Or solutions apparently because their solutions is to "talk with guys and improve their attitude". This whole "left no stone unturned" talk is total BS because that's exactly what they're doing with all those excuses for everyone involved in decision making. If you leave no stone unturned, then why do you jump first chance you can to say X and Y won't be fired and sign people to ridiculously long deals ahead of time?

You're running a country club Geoff. Wake up. The fact that they make you feel part of it doesn't make it any better for you or the fans in the long run.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Positives about Molson:
- Lets the team spend to the cap (despite the GM not doing it)
- Allows the team to spend $25M over 5 years on a coach
- Lets the team give one way contracts to AHL veterans to help improve Laval
- Doesn't pull a Eugene Melnyk and dictate moves to the GM

The big negative is, he has an inexperienced GM with no oversight by an actual experienced hockey guy. I think Molson would be a very good owner if he had a president underneath him with a lot of hockey experience who could oversee the GM and all of hockey operations, hopefully yesterday by him seeing that the guy in charge of all the hockey operations couldn't answer a bunch of journalist questions was a wake up call.

Just let him run the financial side of the team, which he's done very well. He's just way too loyal to management to a fault.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Agreed, can't ask for more from an owner financially.. but leave the hockey side of things to hockey guys.
Let's hope the media starts to put more pressure on Molson...........he needs a hockey CEO and as you say, he can't do much more as an owner...leaving all of this the same, firing a few asst's and the AHL crowd does not fix the problem, which is MB and Molson themselves, and the way they do business.

I have a sinking feeling it's going to take empty seats for a few months next season, before Molson himself, really gets it. Their market share, and income have to take a dip, a serious dip to result in REAL change.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad