Former Bruins Geoff Courtnall

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I swear, I thought of him for the first time in years today because I was going to post that he was the exact type of guy the Bruins need for line 2.

Reactions: Gordoff

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
This is one guy who the Bruins regret trading.The Bruins signed him as a non drafted free agent.He played a few seasons with the Bruins and was then traded to Edmonton.He retired at the age of 37. He scored 367 goals and 799 points. And he was tough with 1,497 pims.
he wasn't exactly tough, he didn't fight much, he just took lots of penalties. But yeah a good player for sure

Reactions: BlackFrancis

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Good goal scorer in his career.

He found his stride in 1987. He was a great fit on the LW with Neely and getting better every month. I was happy to get Moog, but that was tough to part with Courtnall based on the season he was having with Neely. And then very tough to take in 1990 after what Ranford did to the Bruins.

Other than some brief flashes from a few players, Neely's LW was never quite filled again at that level.

What's funny is that Edmonton didn't even need him. He was buried on the roster, did nothing in those 1988 playoffs and was dealt to Washington that summer for a vastly inferior player who would only score 12 more NHL goals.
The Bruins probably could have re-acquired him then, as they had several comparable players to "the other" Greg Adams in stable. Courtnall scored 42 that next season and was a point-per-game playoff player from 1989-94. That sure would have helped the contending Bruins.

Acquiring Moog was a good move, but what may have been if Sinden left one of Courtnall or Ranford out of that deal.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

He found his stride in 1987. He was a great fit on the LW with Neely and getting better every month. I was happy to get Moog, but that was tough to part with Courtnall based on the season he was having with Neely. And then very tough to take in 1990 after what Ranford did to the Bruins.

Other than some brief flashes from a few players, Neely's LW was never quite filled again at that level.

What's funny is that Edmonton didn't even need him. He was buried on the roster, did nothing in those 1988 playoffs and was dealt to Washington that summer for a vastly inferior player who would only score 12 more NHL goals.
The Bruins probably could have re-acquired him then, as they had several comparable players to "the other" Greg Adams in stable. Courtnall scored 42 that next season and was a point-per-game playoff player from 1989-94. That sure would have helped the contending Bruins.

Acquiring Moog was a good move, but what may have been if Sinden left one of Courtnall or Ranford out of that deal.
Ranford didn't matter. Moog was a great add but not at the expense of Courtnall. I always wanted Both Geoff and Russ on the Bruins. Back then, as now they were two players that I think could have made a big difference. Sinden and his "fishing trips" with Sather were basically screw jobs every year IIRC. I don't remember what/who we had at the time for trade pieces but even if he simply gave up a first round pick for Moog I would've been okay with it. Trading Courtnall was a big disappointment.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Ranford didn't matter. Moog was a great add but not at the expense of Courtnall. I always wanted Both Geoff and Russ on the Bruins. Back then, as now they were two players that I think could have made a big difference. Sinden and his "fishing trips" with Sather were basically screw jobs every year IIRC. I don't remember what/who we had at the time for trade pieces but even if he simply gave up a first round pick for Moog I would've been okay with it. Trading Courtnall was a big disappointment.

Ranford certainly didn't matter in 1988. It would have been nice to have him on the Maine Mariners in 1990 instead of winning the Conn Smythe and throttling the Bruins. But that was not something that could have been foreseen in 1988. Courtnall, on the other hand, was already a 30 goal scorer that was so very clearly a rising star.
That was the big loss for that Neely-era team that always needed another 30 goal scorer--especially at LW.
In retrospect, trading a first rounder would have been a great idea. The Bruins would have missed out on the contributions of Rob Cimetta, though.

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
I liked his brother, Russ, better.
That waterbug could fly and play.

Geoff and Russ had very similar Point stats.
But, Geoff outscored Russ quite a bit -- 367 goals versus 297 goals.

As a young Bruin fan, Russ' speed scared the crap out of me when the Bruins inevitably played the Habs in the playoffs.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

I don't think I'd be a Bruins fan if Moog was never on the team hah

Reactions: LSCII

aguineapig

The loss of Courtnall was lessened briefly by another deal later that same deadline day when Sinden went back to same well and traded Alan May to the Oilers for Moe Lemay. Harry at the time made it a point for some reason that it was a separate deal from the Moog deal. After splitting time with the Maine Mariners and Boston, Lemay was called up for the playoffs and scored two huge goals to crush the long playoff curse of the Canadiens. He scored another big goal in Game 7 against the Devils, but then the Magic of the Moe was to fade. He scored one goal in the finals against the Oilers, but the next season after going pointless in 12 games he was once again packing his suitcase, this time to the Jets for Ray Neufeld. But for a few weeks Moe Lemay was the toast of the town.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
The loss of Courtnall was lessened briefly by another deal later that same deadline day when Sinden went back to same well and traded Alan May to the Oilers for Moe Lemay. Harry at the time made it a point for some reason that it was a separate deal from the Moog deal. After splitting time with the Maine Mariners and Boston, Lemay was called up for the playoffs and scored two huge goals to crush the long playoff curse of the Canadiens. He scored another big goal in Game 7 against the Devils, but then the Magic of the Moe was to fade. He scored one goal in the finals against the Oilers, but the next season after going pointless in 12 games he was once again packing his suitcase, this time to the Jets for Ray Neufeld. But for a few weeks Moe Lemay was the toast of the town.

Great post. Very true. Lemay's goals were huge.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Blues down 3-0 in 3rd period of playoff game, Courts runs their goalie, Blues get 2 man advantage for 5 minutes out of this :laugh: Then score 4 PP goals and win game!!!!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Incredibly dumb deal

Harry disliked him

I was in year 2 or 3 with season tickets - his future wife Penny worked at the gym in my town teaching aerobics

Courtnall was benched year before and I believe they didn’t even let him practice at one point

he was friends with Neely I believe both from same area Vancouver/ I used to see them out and about Houlihans & Clarke’s in and around Fanuel Hall and of course at gym. Back then the players just went to local gym to work out

Courtnall had 32 goals when traded and with buddy Neely were damn near unstoppable

I believe he stays here and plays LW across from Cam they could have eventually had two 50 goal scorers on same line

Anyone who knows me knows I’m still pissed at this trade

all Sinden being a prick - I’ve always believed to get him away from his boy Cam who he thought for whatever reason could lead him astray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad