Gently lay a fork atop Florida but don't pierce them

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If we miss the playoffs again, it's going to be dark days for this franchise. Quebec City your dream may finally be coming true.
The lease isn't up until 2028, but there's absolutely zero chance that the county will bail them out again if they aren't turning big profits.
But even in the likely event that the Panthers have to relocate, there's still plenty of time for Bettman and co. to make other arrangements besides worse case scenario Quebec. They'd cave to some of Houston's asks in like 2026 if the Panthers are still irrelevant.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The lease isn't up until 2028, but there's absolutely zero chance that the county will bail them out again if they aren't turning big profits.
But even in the likely event that the Panthers have to relocate, there's still plenty of time for Bettman and co. to make other arrangements besides worse case scenario Quebec. They'd cave to some of Houston's asks in like 2026 if the Panthers are still irrelevant.

I thought it was 2023 my mistake.

But still, it would be bad. The new gm is gonna put his fingerprints on the team, personnel changes, more instability, possibly Huberdeau requesting a trade. If they don't make the playoffs this season, I don't really see any growth for a few years. And Barkov's contract is up in '22 and Huby in '23. Would they even want to re-sign?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I thought it was 2023 my mistake.

But still, it would be bad. The new gm is gonna put his fingerprints on the team, personnel changes, more instability, possibly Huberdeau requesting a trade. If they don't make the playoffs this season, I don't really see any growth for a few years. And Barkov's contract is up in '22 and Huby in '23. Would they even want to re-sign?
The lease has a team option to leave in 2023 if they lost $100m within that time. Being that the Panthers regularly lose 10m - 20m in any given season, they likely will hit that mark. But Viola and Bettman are committed to keeping the team in Broward, so I can't fathom they'll exercise that option.
And I agree. I don't see Barkov re-signing if we do nothing in his final three years. And if Barkov walks, Huberdeau likely requests a trade. Then we're done.
But I doubt we'll fire Tallon. Last summer was the final push. They kept Tallon, so he could recruit Quenneville. They gave Q the biggest contract in coaching history and gave Tallon unlimited cash, so he can give Q what he needs.
It has all come down to becoming relevant again by 2022, or at least convincing Barkov and Huberdeau that it's worth staying. But if they're bottom feeders again by the mid-2020s, yea, the team is gone. And it'll be an unspoken truth far before a new home is found.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Too bad. Wanna see Barkov-Hub unleashed in the playoffs.

No you don't. These 2 have a track record of coming up small in important regular season games. Also did nothing in the one playoff series they played in.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The lease has a team option to leave in 2023 if they lost $100m within that time. Being that the Panthers regularly lose 10m - 20m in any given season, they likely will hit that mark. But Viola and Bettman are committed to keeping the team in Broward, so I can't fathom they'll exercise that option.
And I agree. I don't see Barkov re-signing if we do nothing in his final three years. And if Barkov walks, Huberdeau likely requests a trade. Then we're done.
But I doubt we'll fire Tallon. Last summer was the final push. They kept Tallon, so he could recruit Quenneville. They gave Q the biggest contract in coaching history and gave Tallon unlimited cash, so he can give Q what he needs.
It has all come down to becoming relevant again by 2022, or at least convincing Barkov and Huberdeau that it's worth staying. But if they're bottom feeders again by the mid-2020s, yea, the team is gone. And it'll be an unspoken truth far before a new home is found.

Well I know Bettman is committed. I wouldn't blame Viola if he wanted to sell. There would likely have to be a Coyote-like intervention by the nhl to keep the team in that market.

But yeah, that's kinda what I'm getting at. If Barkov leaves, and Huby to a lesser extent, then this franchise is done. Any last ditch attempts after that would just be delaying the inevitable.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Barkov is exactly the kind of guy who is gonna stay in with the Panthers for most of his career.

He hates attention. He is never signing with teams like the Leafs.

If you just let him play without giving him any extra attention due to it, you'll be fine.

The contract negotiations should go like this:

-When the contract season comes, Tallon shouldn't even speak to him. All year. Then slip a paper under his agent's door, sign him.
-Give him a NMC. No, not a "no movement clause", but a "no media clause". Forbid the media even telling about his contract.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
What's up with Jayce Hawryluk? I thought he was going to easily be an everyday top 9.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Barkov is exactly the kind of guy who is gonna stay in with the Panthers for most of his career.

He hates attention. He is never signing with teams like the Leafs.

If you just let him play without giving him any extra attention due to it, you'll be fine.

The contract negotiations should go like this:

-When the contract season comes, Tallon shouldn't even speak to him. All year. Then slip a paper under his agent's door, sign him.
-Give him a NMC. No, not a "no movement clause", but a "no media clause". Forbid the media even telling about his contract.

I can see it. It's sad that this is a possibility. Lol.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Best case scenario would be to move downtown. I live in the grove right now and BB&T is a f***ing trek to get to. I'm only going to 1-2 games a year, but with a closer/more convenient venue I'd go to a lot more.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Because they play in the Eastern version of the Pacific. Unlike the Pacific; however, it appears the Atlantic will only have 3 playoff teams

Given the choice I'd prefer to play against any team in the Pacific rather than the Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad