Generational Talents

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Simple question; In a near future, will there be another generational talent or will Crosby be the last one for another 10-15 years? Is there someone under the radar that might be "the next big one" I belive people thought Tavares could live up to the expectations but it has been a bit Hectic (He's doing GREAT dont dephrase what im trying to say :P). Don't get me wrong, all the other 1st overall picks are AMAZING talents, but when i mean Geneational its a la Crosby stacking up crazy points as a 18 y/o.. Im hearing Aaron Ekblad is going to be a great dman.. Is it true?

And if there is going to be one do you think knowing the importance of Goals in the new NHL teams will offer all crazy stuff to get hands on the first overall pick?

Just curious

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
We got spoiled with Crosby and Ovechkin. We've been extremely spoiled for a good number of years with the drafts, but the talent just isn't as high anymore. I don't think we'll see anyone even on a Stamkos level for quite some time.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Generational talents....there could be one out there right now for all we know, scoring 300 goals as a 7 year old in some league.

Fact is, we won't hear of them for a while because it doesn't seem any of the kids coming up are in that category.

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario
i know a 12 year old who scored 147 goals and 263 assists last year playing against 14 year olds. But you never can really tell untill they make it to the NHL. I still think Tavares has a chance if he refuses to sign a contract with the islanders and goes to another team. Also i dont think Stamkos has reached his full potential.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The worst thing and best thing to happen to the psychology of NHL fans was Ovechkin/Crosby coming into the league together.

That isn't the norm at all.

Koys, as mentioned, Alex Forsberg, etc... We need to see them in the CHL first before any of us can get a proper judgement.

(I know Koys isn't going to the CHL, you know what I mean).

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Easiest answer is there are no generational talents on the horizon that we can identify and guys in the NHL, such as Tavares, Hall, Duchene, etc., are simply not on the same level as Crosby and probably never will come close.

pouskin74*

Simple question; In a near future, will there be another generational talent or will Crosby be the last one for another 10-15 years? Is there someone under the radar that might be "the next big one" I belive people thought Tavares could live up to the expectations but it has been a bit Hectic (He's doing GREAT dont dephrase what im trying to say :P). Don't get me wrong, all the other 1st overall picks are AMAZING talents, but when i mean Geneational its a la Crosby stacking up crazy points as a 18 y/o.. Im hearing Aaron Ekblad is going to be a great dman.. Is it true?

And if there is going to be one do you think knowing the importance of Goals in the new NHL teams will offer all crazy stuff to get hands on the first overall pick?

Just curious

just for fact-he is not the only one we got currently in NHL

GenerationalTalent

Aug 18, 2010
Forsberg isn't suppose to even be the top 1995 in Canada in anymore. Nathan MacKinnon is. I don't think either Forsberg or MacKinnon could be called potienal generational talents either.

Now, there is a 12 yr old in Norway lol. :sarcasm:

We won't see another generational talent coming from Canada until there 16, in USA we could see them at age 14 or 15. I am not sure in Europe but, if we see a kid tearing up SEL or KHL at 15/16 we should take notice.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A lot of the names being mentioned here demonstrates many don't know what a "generational talent" really is. Frk? The guy with cement shoes? Come on.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
What about defensemen?

I see Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, Ray Bourque and Nicklas Lidstrom as generational talents. Drew Doughty could have that potential.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Simple question; In a near future, will there be another generational talent or will Crosby be the last one for another 10-15 years?

There are already two generational talents playing in the NHL right now and it's not even up for debate.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is Canadian or lives in Pittsburgh.

Alex Ovechkin is a generational talent. Period.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
We're not even sure Crosby and Ovi are generational yet. Right now, they are ALMOST in the class of a Jagr, which is just teatering below generational IMO. Of course, they could easily vault their way up to Jagr's level, but they have a ways to go still and have shown nothing to be in Gretzky or Lemieux's type of dominant class. For instance, Gretzky and Lemieux simply never gave up the MVP or Art Ross, unless health got in the way. Same for Jagr, although to a lesser degree.

Right now, Crosby and Ovi have only won a single Art Ross trophy each, with Crosby seemingly on track to get a 2nd.

Gretzky won 10, includiung 7 straight.
Lemieux won 6, with only Gretzky ever beating him when he was healthy.
Jagr won 5, including 4 in a row.

At the same age, Gretzky and Lemieux were well ahead of Crosby and Ovi. Jagr, was probably tracking in a similar way, although he remained in Lemieux's shadow until Lemieux was forced out with health issues.

Think about it - the league went 21 years without anyone else winning an Art Ross other than these three guys. For 8 straight years since, a different player has won it without repeating. There were no Iginla's or H Sedin's or Forsberg's or St. Louis' winning a one-off Art Ross in these guys day. All of these past 8 winners are greatly talented, but they would have lost the scoring race by 40-50 points against the generational guys Lemieux and Gretzky (like Yzerman and others did). I'm not even sure they'd challenge Jagr in his day, at least not yet. Crosby this year is really the first time I've looked at either as someone who might just be separating themselves from the other top elite talents.

When it comes to the Hart Trophy, there was a BIT more of a mix in there (although Gretzky still won 9 straight), but I think part of that was the voting fatigue of giving it to the same guys. One any player got onto a debatable level with Gretzky or Lemieux (or even Jagr) the voters tended to vote for change just because it was so amazing to see someone capture lighting in a bottle to challenge them.

As to someone coming down the pipe, you don't really have an idea until they are17 or so to see their development curve continue to track upwards. And even then, it so easy for them to plateau and get caught by their peers...really, there is no one separating themselves right now in any major way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad