OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I've been playing some good old Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel. Discovered how amazing Bloodsplosion is on Krieg, and then how much better TPs is balanced in UVHM compared to 2. Unfortunately TPS is just so damn short and lacking in endgame, and leveling up in UVHM was so agaonizingly slow I actually downloaded and installed the unofficial community patch which doubles UVHM XP. Have gotten Athema through UVHM, Claptrap is partway through, and I've got a Jack Doppleganger almost done with normal.

Probably gonna pop back to 2 at some point. Want to get Krieg or my old DPUH./Grog Salvador up to OP10, maybe do Axton and Zero through TVHM (the ability to create a new character that's level 30 and at the final story quest in Normal means you can start with a character that can actually do something).

Might also see about a Nisha run through TPS.

As for Mass Effect Legendary, I've seen video of ME1, the UI looks great, the Mako looks great, but the faces just look hideous like they did in ME3. Weirds me out cause faces in original 1 and 2 look OK.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't know if any of you guys are into Overwatch league, but that Dallas Fuel vs Shanghai Dragons June Joust championship game might be one of the best matches in the history of the league.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I finally got around to The Last of Us. Wow. I mean, masterpiece. Kind of a stupid ending that clearly sets up for the sequel.... But even still, I'm kind of awestruck at the game as a whole. More than a little nervous that part 2 will dissapoint....

Also,i still don't have a PS5 (and my truck is indefinetly being built, and I can't get my frikin new furniture until September) this shortage baloney sucks!

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I finally got around to The Last of Us. Wow. I mean, masterpiece. Kind of a stupid ending that clearly sets up for the sequel.... But even still, I'm kind of awestruck at the game as a whole. More than a little nervous that part 2 will dissapoint....

Also,i still don't have a PS5 (and my truck is indefinetly being built, and I can't get my frikin new furniture until September) this shortage baloney sucks!

part 2 is really good

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
part 2 is really good
I hated part 2, couldn't wait for it to be over. Loved the original, the ending is probably second only MGS3 as far as videogame stories go.

Got the new ratchet and clank on Friday, what a blast. Such a fun and relaxing experience, especially after grinding in Returnal for so long lol

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I hated part 2, couldn't wait for it to be over. Loved the original, the ending is probably second only MGS3 as far as videogame stories go.

Got the new ratchet and clank on Friday, what a blast. Such a fun and relaxing experience, especially after grinding in Returnal for so long lol

you hated the most awarded game in video game history?

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
you hated the most awarded game in video game history?
Yes, they absolutely butchered the story, the pacing was horrible, the characters were horrible, the decisions didn't make sense, the ending sucked etc. It cheapened the ending from the original game and turned the lie into something inconsequential, when it should have been the focal point of the second. The gunplay, graphics, and sound were top notch though.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, I don't have nearly as harsh of an opinion on the story/characters/etc. from Part 2 but at least you break it down as to why....there are way too many people out there who hated it simply because of who you play as.

Maybe I'll need to take a closer look at everything when I play it again but I just didn't have any of those feelings the first time. I'm generally a pretty positive reviewer when it comes to media/games/etc. so I generally don't really 'hate' anything but I just remember being shocked at all of the dissention or dislike of the game. Just a good example sometimes that I don't really need to pay attention to what other people say about everything.

I think what actually might upset me more is the verbiage that has gotten into these types of discussions, probably just because nobody has enough time to write out a full explanation or description of what they really mean, instead they call something 'trash' or 'garbage' or awful. There are actual terrible things out there and maybe one thing I can't agree with is calling any part of it horrible or that it sucked. I guess that's more of a semantics thing but yeah...long story short TLOU2 was probably a 9 for me, TLOU1 maybe a 9.75?

I'll play them again someday with the updated PS5 stuff. Also really want to try Ratchet and Clank after seeing the reaction, haven't played one of those in forever but looking forward to something more lighthearted. :)

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm barely through it so far, but man... They didn't waste any time in killing off the character whose voice actor performance may have been the GOAT. sad

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I am finally going back to play GTA V with nothing else sounding fun lately. I actually didn't enjoy GTA IV much at all, and the driving physics ruined much of that game for me. V seems to be solid so far after a couple hours in.

I didn't realize the game was 8 years old already. You can tell the graphics are extremely dated at this point, even though I'm playing it on Xbox One.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I am finally going back to play GTA V with nothing else sounding fun lately. I actually didn't enjoy GTA IV much at all, and the driving physics ruined much of that game for me. V seems to be solid so far after a couple hours in.

I didn't realize the game was 8 years old already. You can tell the graphics are extremely dated at this point, even though I'm playing it on Xbox One.
I loved the driving physics in GTA IV lol. Cars actually felt like they had weight, and there was a huge difference between a clunker and a sports car. V every car feels bland

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I loved the driving physics in GTA IV lol. Cars actually felt like they had weight, and there was a huge difference between a clunker and a sports car. V every car feels bland
I know it was a pretty split opinion on it back in the day. When it comes down to it, even if it was more "realistic", it just didn't feel fun, which is all I really care about. Driving was a pain. I see where you're coming from though for sure.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Finally was able to pick up a PS5. In case anyone is still looking subscribe to Matt Swider Twitter. Wouldn't have got this without his alerts.

In any case.... Demons Souls. I probably spent 1/2 of my postings in this thread talking about Dark Souls, bloodborne, or sekiro in some form or fashion. Soulsbourne games (yes even DS2) rank among my favorite games of all time. However, I played Demons Souls first (slightly before Ds1 released) and it broke me, I never finished.... Didn't even get close.

Man, this remake is amazing. It feels exactly the same (outside of the incredible graphics of course). 1st run through is with a mage as I have yet to beat any of the games as a magic (non faith) user. Super fun. Currently taking on 3-1. Coincidently this was where I gave up on the original, the sound of those mind flayers walking up on you still makes my body just tense up with trepidation.

It's definitely hard though. A much different beast than the games that came after.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Finally was able to pick up a PS5. In case anyone is still looking subscribe to Matt Swider Twitter. Wouldn't have got this without his alerts.

In any case.... Demons Souls. I probably spent 1/2 of my postings in this thread talking about Dark Souls, bloodborne, or sekiro in some form or fashion. Soulsbourne games (yes even DS2) rank among my favorite games of all time. However, I played Demons Souls first (slightly before Ds1 released) and it broke me, I never finished.... Didn't even get close.

Man, this remake is amazing. It feels exactly the same (outside of the incredible graphics of course). 1st run through is with a mage as I have yet to beat any of the games as a magic (non faith) user. Super fun. Currently taking on 3-1. Coincidently this was where I gave up on the original, the sound of those mind flayers walking up on you still makes my body just tense up with trepidation.

I enjoyed hating myself through those games, but LOVED the niohs. Worth a try if you enjoy those other games.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I bought a raspberry pi and converted into an emulation station.
Amazing to go back and play some of these old games. Currently working on Earthbound for the SNES. Such a fun game

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan

It's definitely hard though. A much different beast than the games that came after.

I really liked it too. I have a weird relationship with those games...I watched a lot of people stream/play Dark Souls, so much that I wanted to try it out. I think I've tried starting that game 3-4 times, get by Ornstein/Smough then kind of stop after that. Tried Bloodborne, I got stuck in the beginning where I couldn't beat either boss, just hated having to do the runback every time. Might be something I try again someday though...

But it was a completely different story for Sekiro and Demon's Souls. I think it's the speed of the game that makes it so much better for me. I got a little overwhelmed with the choices of gear/what to level/etc. in Dark Souls and it's kind of nice to have just the same sword and then you level up your abilities instead. I heard that Dark Souls 3 is a lot more like Sekiro/etc. with the speed of the game so that might be one I actually like too...maybe I'll try it someday.

Just incredible how the PS5 is with load times though. That game looks great too.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014

I gotta get back into it. I just platinumed ratchet and clank (first ever platinum lol). Beat Returnal as well. Both are fantastic.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
It's such a fun and wholesome game. Be sure to switch it to the Performance RT mode for graphics settings
Good looking out, that makes the game look amazing. Not sure why it isn't the default, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that a person with a PS5 has a TV that can handle it. Not entirely sold on what's going on with my triggers though. I get what they are going for, but I'm not sure I like it.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Good looking out, that makes the game look amazing. Not sure why it isn't the default, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that a person with a PS5 has a TV that can handle it. Not entirely sold on what's going on with my triggers though. I get what they are going for, but I'm not sure I like it.
Yeah right away it felt a lil sluggish and off, once i switched to that it was like night and day.

I felt like Returnal did the triggers a little better, but that was basically the same for every weapon. It's cool they tried to make them in R&C feel a bit different, altho some are kinda redundant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad