OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Well deserved win for Beterbiev, he dominated the fight from bell to bell. I know he's not on good terms with the various promoters in Montreal but a big fight with Kovalev or Alvares next at the Bell Center could do major business .

Reactions: dralaf

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Well deserved win for Beterbiev, he dominated the fight from bell to bell. I know he's not on good terms with the various promoters in Montreal but a big fight with Kovalev or Alvares next at the Bell Center could do major business .
Felt like Beterbiev lost a few rounds before the 9th, when Marc told him he needed the next four. That's when Beterbiev opened the floodgates and started pushing forward. Relentless punishment from there on up to the final seconds of the 10th.

Beauty of a fight. At times, Gvozdyk winced when Beterbiev landed body punches early on. He couldn't accurately land his straight right until the latter rounds, but his jab was on point from the get-go.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

I had it 4-4 after 8 rounds then Beterbiev really took over. Going into 10th two judges had Gvozdyk ahead. I hope Beterbiev fights Bivol next but Kovalev would be a nice fight too.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Beterbiev is the best in the division right now. Bivol could potentially try to box him from the outside all night long but I'm not convinced he has enough punching power and grit to keep him at bay for 12 rounds.

Kovalev is diminished and would not end the fight on his feet.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Speaking of ending the fight on his feet, is it me or the referee should have stopped the fight earlier?

Maybe I'm getting overly sensitive with the many recent incidents including the passing away of Patrick Day but it was clear that Gvolzdyk had spaghetti legs after the second knockdown and an argument can probably be made that it was also true after the first one.

This fight should have been stopped after the second knockdown if not by the corner throwing the towel, by the ref in charge who's responsibility include keeping the boxers safe.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Speaking of ending the fight on his feet, is it me or the referee should have stopped the fight earlier?

Maybe I'm getting overly sensitive with the many recent incidents including the passing away of Patrick Day but it was clear that Gvolzdyk had spaghetti legs after the second knockdown and an argument can probably be made that it was also true after the first one.

This fight should have been stopped after the second knockdown if not by the corner throwing the towel, by the ref in charge who's responsibility include keeping the boxers safe.
I wouldn't be all that surprised if the 3 knockdown rule is out from every state before too long for that very reason. It would give the referees more incentive to call the fight when a guy can still stand but is clearly on his way out .

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If it wasn't so short notice this might have been a good spot to slide Conor in and generate a lot of buzz without losing any of the potential PPV buys. Then again, he's having legal issues again so this might not have been possible I guess.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If it wasn't so short notice this might have been a good spot to slide Conor in and generate a lot of buzz without losing any of the potential PPV buys. Then again, he's having legal issues again so this might not have been possible I guess.
Hes also probably not in any kind of shape.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hes also probably not in any kind of shape.
He's been talking about a Jan.18 return fight so I'm guessing he's starting to work on stuff again by this point, FWIW. I was thinking more of an hypothetical scenario where he's got like 3 weeks notice to prepare, he might be crazy enough to say ''sure, fook it, I'll fight in 3 weeks''

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's been talking about a Jan.18 return fight so I'm guessing he's starting to work on stuff again by this point, FWIW. I was thinking more of an hypothetical scenario where he's got like 3 weeks notice to prepare, he might be crazy enough to say ''sure, fook it, I'll fight in 3 weeks''

I don't think he's crazy...I think CM is very calculated, this ''crazy'' guy is just a personna. Sure, he can be impulsive, like jumping in a ring and shoving the ref, but really, the guy is a hype machine. He ain't going to skip out on that and go straight into a fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
lol Askren went to sleep in all of his UFC fights so far (including his sole winning fight)
He might still be sleep walking from the Robbie fight. I've seen him on multiple separate occasions say that he had never even been knocked down prior to the Masvidal knee. Like dude....we saw the Robbie fight.

I still like Askren, but the hype train is definitely derailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->