OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
mid-tier middleweight quickly rising to the top of LHW division. Talented big athletes are so hard to find in the heavier weight classes.

I can only imagine how much destruction Yoel Romero is gonna unleash in that division

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Shogun is still in pretty good shape and dangerous on his feet but his prime is way behind him by now. I hate seeing my old Pride favorites get smashed like that but father time is one opponent you just can't beat.
There's no clear heir to DC if he decides to drop the LHW belt, which he most likely will. A short Romero reign ( provided he climbs one division ) seems to be the best scenario. It'll have to happen quick though, the dude is over 40.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don't think DC is going to drop the LHW belt. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Shogun is still in pretty good shape and dangerous on his feet but his prime is way behind him by now. I hate seeing my old Pride favorites get smashed like that but father time is one opponent you just can't beat.
There's no clear heir to DC if he decides to drop the LHW belt, which he most likely will. A short Romero reign ( provided he climbs one division ) seems to be the best scenario. It'll have to happen quick though, the dude is over 40.

Romero vs DC would be a draw IMO. DC wants none of that.

DC is on coast mode. He's looking for easy LHW defense then a retirement with brock.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Romero vs DC would be a draw IMO. DC wants none of that.

DC is on coast mode. He's looking for easy LHW defense then a retirement with brock.
He's been very adamant that he's retiring next March (where he'll be turning 40) so he might have 2 other fights in him, tops. The UFC really needs to make those count, they might put a lot of pressure on him to take on Yoel. That or they just let him sit till whenever Brock is cleared to come back ( December I think ? ) . I don't even know who he could face at 205 that would actually generate some buys, a Gustafsson rematch maybe ?

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He's been very adamant that he's retiring next March (where he'll be turning 40) so he might have 2 other fights in him, tops. The UFC really needs to make those count, they might put a lot of pressure on him to take on Yoel. That or they just let him sit till whenever Brock is cleared to come back ( December I think ? ) . I don't even know who he could face at 205 that would actually generate some buys, a Gustafsson rematch maybe ?

Brock is back in January.

My guess is he fights in NYC in MSG for LHW defence then moves to January or February(depending on LHW match length and result) against Brock.

IF he finishes Brock with ease he may give Jon Jones or Stipe his last match in March. I HIGHLY doubt it but I've seen him say he might give stipe rematch after Brock but I'd think it would need to be an easy first round finish for him to consider it.

DC just wants to cash in. Brock, Jones, Stipe are only guys who can do that for him.

The problem is he will NOT defend HW title before Brock because if he loses title he pissed away a huge payday against Brock.

He will not fight Alex because he said last fight with him wasn't a big draw despite the good fight.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not a big fan of how UFC treats interim champs.

They make rules as they go.

When GSP vacated middleweight championship Whittaker(Interim champ) was made real champ by default.

When Tony Ferguson got injured by fluke accident they allowed Khabib to fight nearly ANYONE for the real belt and stripped Conor & Ferguson. This is a little more understandable given how Conor held the division for so long.

Now...Colby Covington won the interim championship June 9th, underwent surgery and said he's still November card in MSG. Offers 5 months between fights. Nope, they want him ready in 3 months...for September card. They strip him of interim title and give Till...who I think did f*** all vs Thompson and didn't even make weight...the next title shot.

What? You can dislike Covington but how does UFC decide to strip a guy less than 2 months after he fought?

Reactions: ChoseLa

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Not a big fan of how UFC treats interim champs.

They make rules as they go.

When GSP vacated middleweight championship Whittaker(Interim champ) was made real champ by default.

When Tony Ferguson got injured by fluke accident they allowed Khabib to fight nearly ANYONE for the real belt and stripped Conor & Ferguson. This is a little more understandable given how Conor held the division for so long.

Now...Colby Covington won the interim championship June 9th, underwent surgery and said he's still November card in MSG. Offers 5 months between fights. Nope, they want him ready in 3 months...for September card. They strip him of interim title and give Till...who I think did **** all vs Thompson and didn't even make weight...the next title shot.

What? You can dislike Covington but how does UFC decide to strip a guy less than 2 months after he fought?

When the news first got out, I was sure it was because he was busted for steroids. Then when they said it was because he wasn't recovering fast enough from his operation, I couldn't believe it. Why not make a fight for a shot at Colby in November? I guess Hovington will fight the winner of the fight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Time for the Canadian gangster and his sweet ironic 'stash . An impressive win tonight could really put him in a big top 5 fight position .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad