Status
Not open for further replies.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
But it was a good card though. Weird.

the UFC has done a fantastic job devaluing everything that isn't the Top drawing superstar. Too much shows, piss poor promoting/marketing effort, Dana White slowly tuning out from MMA to Zuffa Boxing, new owners that probably have no long term vision for the sport... all leading to a platform where it's hard for someone to stand out from a 500+ fighters roster.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's a star driven business, maybe more so than it's ever been before. The nucleus of hardcore fans has gotten surprisingly small, mostly due to the fact that there's just so much product now. I'm as hardcore a fan as you can get and even I can't be bothered to care for a card every other weekend, plus reality shows, Bellator shows, etc. There's just too many cards frankly, too many fighters.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's a star driven business, maybe more so than it's ever been before. The nucleus of hardcore fans has gotten surprisingly small, mostly due to the fact that there's just so much product now. I'm as hardcore a fan as you can get and even I can't be bothered to care for a card every other weekend, plus reality shows, Bellator shows, etc. There's just too many cards frankly, too many fighters.
I've been saying this for years, dating back to some of the last GSP fights, if not before.
At least back then you still had some superstars that set themselves apart, and there was still some anxious anticipation.
Right now, although fighters are way more athletic, there's just too many of them, with too many shows, and that diluted the product.
Fighters don't have much edge over each other so you can't get attached to then like one used to.

I miss dem Pride days.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been saying this for years, dating back to some of the last GSP fights, if not before.
At least back then you still had some superstars that set themselves apart, and there was still some anxious anticipation.
Right now, although fighters are way more athletic, there's just too many of them, with too many shows, and that diluted the product.
Fighters don't have much edge over each other so you can't get attached to then like one used to.

I miss dem Pride days.
The sport definitely has gotten more homogenized and sanitized. I really think less shows would take care of a lot of the issues, just by making better, more balanced cards. The UFC is stretching the roster way too thin.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
They should respect the rankings more. And also Dana loves too much the KO and don't respect the technical aspect of the sport : he didn't want Ben Askren in the UFC, he said he was too boring to watch.

People underestimate the CM Punk effect, to me and to a lot of people it desecrated the sport, add all of the above and the whole thing seems unfair and fixed. We are far from the GSP super fights, those were the days.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
UFC did want to pursue a mini tournament with GSP, Diaz, Khabib and McGregor.

That would've generated some extra interest on top of all those guys being draws.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm actually not that surprised that UFC 225 did so poorly. Yoel missing weight takes a lot of the excitement out of the main event, Colby's act is already tired, most people don't know Anderson or Tuivasa, and the CM Punk thing was embarrassing. For MMA fans, it was a great card because it was a deep card that went all the way to the Fight Pass card. For casual fans, the main card wasn't all that great.

The UFC has a handful of problems right now, but if UFC 226 stays intact, it should do pretty good numbers I think. If it doesn't then Dana and thew UFC aren't doing their job. So many intriguing story lines and so many likeable fighters on that card.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm actually not that surprised that UFC 225 did so poorly. Yoel missing weight takes a lot of the excitement out of the main event, Colby's act is already tired, most people don't know Anderson or Tuivasa, and the CM Punk thing was embarrassing. For MMA fans, it was a great card because it was a deep card that went all the way to the Fight Pass card. For casual fans, the main card wasn't all that great.

The UFC has a handful of problems right now, but if UFC 226 stays intact, it should do pretty good numbers I think. If it doesn't then Dana and thew UFC aren't doing their job. So many intriguing story lines and so many likeable fighters on that card.
It should do very well, the three main fights all have good casual fan appeal potential. If this card doesn't do better than 1 million buys then the UFC has to start worrying.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I could see GSP do decently well as a boxer if he really tried. His striking technique has always been good so he's got the fundamentals and he's the kind of guy that goes 100% into something, so you know he'd put the efforts to learn. He wouldn't do any better than Conor against top opposition but he wouldn't make a foul of himself either.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Was a big time Pride-UFC fan...now I cannot bother mos of the time....watch 4-5 PPV a year for big event...way too many stupendous shows etc..

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Roses are red, Violets are blue, another Jackson-Wink fighter gets outboxed again

Leon Edwards is having his coming out party against Cowboy
Crap, I completely forgot today's card was super early ! So Cerone got dominated ( I see it was a UD) ? Cowboy even got outstriked which doesn't happen that often.
Was a big time Pride-UFC fan...now I cannot bother mos of the time....watch 4-5 PPV a year for big event...way too many stupendous shows etc..
A lot of us are in that boat these days, we were just talking about that last week.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Crap, I completely forgot today's card was super early ! So Cerone got dominated ( I see it was a UD) ? Cowboy even got outstriked which doesn't happen that often.

Not sure about domination since Cowboy did come back to win the last 2 rounds (well, mostly edging it to the nearest margins with timed takedowns). Overall, it was essentially Edwards landing clean and sharp counters, keeping Cowboy at bay into a really slow paced ranged kickboxing fight.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not sure about domination since Cowboy did come back to win the last 2 rounds (well, mostly edging it to the nearest margins with timed takedowns). Overall, it was essentially Edwards landing clean and sharp counters, keeping Cowboy at bay into a really slow paced ranged kickboxing fight.
That's 4 losses in his last 5 fights now. The dude has been so active since 2013, I wonder if he's not starting to break down physically. When a guy reaches the 30 pro fights mark it's usually all down from there and he's well over that mark by now.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Cerrone is a moron. He literally said he doesn't know his opponents like Till, Edwards, etc... He just lets his coaches tell him what to do and refuses to watch any tape.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Cerrone is a moron. He literally said he doesn't know his opponents like Till, Edwards, etc... He just lets his coaches tell him what to do and refuses to watch any tape.

Not really. Most fighters don't watch tapes and let coaches do it. Cerrone is especially the kind of fighter that would just do poorly watching tape because you run the risk of him losing the fight before it starts. He's the kind to feel a fight and adapt along the way.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not really. Most fighters don't watch tapes and let coaches do it. Cerrone is especially the kind of fighter that would just do poorly watching tape because you run the risk of him losing the fight before it starts. He's the kind to feel a fight and adapt along the way.

He doesn't even know the fighter he's facing. I get not going crazy with tape, but zero? C'mon...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That's 4 losses in his last 5 fights now. The dude has been so active since 2013, I wonder if he's not starting to break down physically. When a guy reaches the 30 pro fights mark it's usually all down from there and he's well over that mark by now.
Yeah, he's 35 now and as active as any fighter there is. He's also fighting guys that are too big for him and probably too old to make 155lbs again. Cowboy's one of those guys that could have really benefited from having 155, 165, and 175 divisions.

Not to mention he's living a wild life away from fighting, too.

I don't think he gives a shit. With some people, it's a shtick. With Cowboy, I think it's real. I mean, fighting for the title is not going to happen at this stage in his career anyway, but fans still love him so the UFC is going to keep paying him. That's all he cares about.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The funny part is I was watching interview with max and YouTube comments were all about how drained or high he looked.

Now he’s got concussion like symptoms. That’s too bad. 3rd time he’s out of a card this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->