OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You know WWE has nothing to do with UFC. It's a TV show. They can do whatever they want, it's all fake and scripted.

I never said DW would be easily replaced. I said in order for the UFC to move on to next level, they need to change DW. Never said that would be easy.

It will be nearly impossible.

Because it's a massive conflict of interest. But I dont think they'll want to give that up.

Of course they won’t. It’s only a conflict of interest for the fighters.

I have to ask though, who does rankings for ONE? Bellatot? Etc? Is it also internally run?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It will be nearly impossible.

Of course they won’t. It’s only a conflict of interest for the fighters.

I have to ask though, who does rankings for ONE? Bellatot? Etc? Is it also internally run?

Nearly impossible or not..I was simply stating, I believe DW needs to go if they want the UFC to expand further imo.

No clue about the other organizations, I assume they operate in a similar manner.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
But why would the UFC give that right up? They fix their own matches and as a result have full authority to build matches and hype.

Would a new CEO give that right up?

I like the fact they handle the match making to a certain degree, I don't like Dana picking favorites and allowing guys like Brock to come back and get a title shot after failing a drug test and being relatively unimpressive in the UFC and then telling GSP he can't have Khabib because he hasn't paid his dues. He's fairly inconsistent, but what I do like, unlike in boxing is that you rarely see the stop ranked fighters in each weight class not tangle at some point throughout their primes, not a lot of ducking going on, I think Dana deserves props for that. I jsut only see a handful of compelling fights lately, the talent has been watered down imo, you have a handful of elites and then a bunch of guys not good enough imo.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I hope Dan Hooker is going to change his entourage, those corner guys letting him get abused like that while he could barely stand was a làstima.

Reactions: TRG

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Iaquinta walking down Lee at the end was bad ass. He was lighting Lee up.
It's what really secured him the round and the decision . The dude is definetely in the 155 mix, for what it's worth he actually looked better against Khabib than McGregor did.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Regarding Dana, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I like that he talks to the media as much as he does and he speaks his mind.

On the other, I don't understand shit talking his own fighters. Maybe there's some master plan behind it, but I think he's doing a disservice to everybody involved. He's the CEO. If he says "Tyron Woodley is boring" people are going to think that whether it's true or not. He should be trying to hype up all of his fighters, but especially his champions. He shouldn't BS the public and try to convince us that Woodley-Maia was an entertaining fight, for example. But something along the lines of "Listen, it wasn't a great fight, but Maia only needs a small opening and then he chokes you unconscious. Woodley fought a safe fight and that's why he's still the champ."

He should be trying to make Woodley the biggest star he can. It sells more PPVs and whenever Woodley does lose, it makes the guy that beats him that much bigger. Woodley does shoot himself in the foot with a lot of what he says, so I understand Dana's frustration with him. But he needs to bottle that up and keep it for behind closed doors.

I don't think Dana is ruining the UFC, but if I was the UFC and I could trade Dana for Coker, I would.

Edit: And the match making stuff comes back to the fans. They are putting on fights that they think will get the most PPV buys. I hate that Brock might get a title fight against DC......but I'm still going to watch it. So I'm part of the problem.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's what really secured him the round and the decision . The dude is definetely in the 155 mix, for what it's worth he actually looked better against Khabib than McGregor did.
I personally think Lee got put into that title challenger category too early. His only big win was Barboza and he almost got headkick KO'ed in that fight. So while I think Al is a good, solid all-around fighter, I think putting him into that title challenger category would be repeating the same mistake people made with Lee.

Al went the distance with Khabib, but he still got absolutely smashed in that fight. I'm not saying that to put down Al. Most people do. I just think he's a tougher matchup for Khabib than Conor because he has a wrestling base. So he was able to stuff more of the takedowns. I also think if Al talked as much shit to Khabib as Conor did, Khabib might have made it more of a point to finish him.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Eh, Khabib toyed with him. The scoring cards were one of the most one sided I've seen. Except stuffing some takedowns, Al didn't do much. Of course it was on short notice. On Khabib's side, he was there showcasing his limited striking skillet and leaving his chin hanging.

He didn't do that vs McGregor. Vs Conor, he applied his game plan, tired him up with his wrestling. Still, I think round 3 is unanimously a McGregor round.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Laval boxer David Lemieux cancels a fight for health reasons

Lemieux's combat cancelled after showing health issues trying to make the weight... yikes! and Estephan is not happy and says he's done in that weight category.

Thoughts?

He's had trouble cutting weight in the past. I don't want to say he doesn't train hard enough but he has a history: Russ Anber leaving him, missing weight on various occasions oh and those set backs early in his career. I find it was he never added other tools to his game. He has devastating power but you need more than that to be amongst the elite. He got jabbed into oblivion by GGG and I think that fight showed how limited he is. Of course GGG is a monster but yeah, you can get what I mean.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm guessing this will solidify DC's resolve to retire after his next fight since him and Velasquez famously don't want to ever have to face each other in the octagon.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
I'm guessing this will solidify DC's resolve to retire after his next fight since him and Velasquez famously don't want to ever have to face each other in the octagon.
Let's hope we see round 3 vs Jon Jones - but seems doubtful. He'll get his pay day with Brock and dip.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Jon Jones testing comes back a little iffy. Nevada doesn't grant his license so UFC 232 will move to LA.

They're saying it's residual metabolites in his system from 2017.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Jon Jones testing comes back a little iffy. Nevada doesn't grant his license so UFC 232 will move to LA.

They're saying it's residual metabolites in his system from 2017.

They saying that, but how the f*** does that make any sense? This guy really needs to be perma-banned.

Reactions: TRG

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
They saying that, but how the **** does that make any sense? This guy really needs to be perma-banned.

He's a clown. CSAC suggested he does additional testing with VADA on top of USADA as a means to clear his name. He said he'd consider it during trial but later decided he doesn't want to. Surprise Surprise!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He's a clown. CSAC suggested he does additional testing with VADA on top of USADA as a means to clear his name. He said he'd consider it during trial but later decided he doesn't want to. Surprise Surprise!

Decisions like this are the reason I can't see this sport surviving. Moving the entire card from Las Vegas to LA because your star pops for a 3rd time and can't be sanctioned in the original fight location and the real kicker being how all of the other fighters on the card found out through twitter. Shit like this doesn't happen in legit sports. UFC is dying.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Decisions like this are the reason I can't see this sport surviving. Moving the entire card from Las Vegas to LA because your star pops for a 3rd time and can't be sanctioned in the original fight location and the real kicker being how all of the other fighters on the card found out through twitter. **** like this doesn't happen in legit sports. UFC is dying.

UFC is fine but it's kind of a shit scenario.

Why didn't this metabolite come up on earlier tests?

I feel bad for the people who booked end of year trips to LV for this fight and have it moved to LA. That's a low.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
UFC is fine but it's kind of a **** scenario.

Why didn't this metabolite come up on earlier tests?

I feel bad for the people who booked end of year trips to LV for this fight and have it moved to LA. That's a low.
UFC is fine for now, agreed. Whether it continues to grow or has a setback is what I mean when I say they are f***ed, I don't see this expanding its popularity anymore and some of the WWE like antics might drive some fans away.

I know I'm growing tired of it and I know many others that are bored with it too. Dana is completely uprooting this entire event to save face for this known habitual drug user and of course to hopefully sell some ppvs, but the move is short-sighted and going to upset a bunch of fans who already made plans. Its ridiculous and he didn't even notify the rest of the roster.

Its a complete bitch move IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad