OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Well Magny had something broken in his face from the beginning of the first round, so all he wanted was protect his face. But yeah Magny never tried anything.
Once his leg started to go Magny went into survival mode and never really was in the fight. I kinda feel for the guy, he's been very active and fought a lot of name fighters in the past 3 years( Condit, Hendricks,Maia, RDA, Gastelum,etc.) and yet he doesn't have much to show for it rankings wise. A jump to 185 might do him some good . The problem is his range is his one big advantage and at 185 he wouldn't have that as much.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Once his leg started to go Magny went into survival mode and never really was in the fight. I kinda feel for the guy, he's been very active and fought a lot of name fighters in the past 3 years( Condit, Hendricks,Maia, RDA, Gastelum,etc.) and yet he doesn't have much to show for it rankings wise. A jump to 185 might do him some good . The problem is his range is his one big advantage and at 185 he wouldn't have that as much.

It could be a double edged sword, has he doesn't look like a guy who can sustain a lot of damage, the 185lbs guys will hit harder.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Does he have problems making 170? If not, I don't see why moving to 185 would help.

He's definitely fought a lot of tough guys. Won some. Lost some. But that might just be what type of fighter he is. The old 'gatekeeper' classification.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

He's just not good enough IMO for a division change to matter. Too much of a mediocre striker, with porous striking defense despite his reach, and zero weight on his strikes. He's gone about as far as he could go with just reach, cardio and an underrated-but-not-elite ground game (Magny's only real good use of his reach is actually on the ground ironically).

A better alternative however for him, would be changing camp to Jackson-Wink. I hate Wink's striking but Magny is made for that kind of "throw lots of random rangy sh*t with zero purpose but to set up the next random rangy sh*t with zero... (loop... into infinity)" striking

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Does he have problems making 170? If not, I don't see why moving to 185 would help.

He's definitely fought a lot of tough guys. Won some. Lost some. But that might just be what type of fighter he is. The old 'gatekeeper' classification.
He hasn't had much trouble making weight but he his ridiculously tall for the 170 division and he ends up very skinny. Added weight and muscle might help with his striking ( although not necessarily ) . There's some 6-3-6-4 guys at 185 though so his advantage would mean as much there.

He's just not good enough IMO for a division change to matter. Too much of a mediocre striker, with porous striking defense despite his reach, and zero weight on his strikes. He's gone about as far as he could go with just reach, cardio and an underrated-but-not-elite ground game (Magny's only real good use of his reach is actually on the ground ironically).

A better alternative however for him, would be changing camp to Jackson-Wink. I hate Wink's striking but Magny is made for that kind of "throw lots of random rangy sh*t with zero purpose but to set up the next random rangy sh*t with zero... (loop... into infinity)" striking
He's indeed not THAT good, which is probably why name fighters don't seem to have any issue fighting him. I was just thinking along the line that he's starting to become the gatekeeper of that division and that might not be where he wants to be in his career. Maybe he's like Cerrone and he just wants to fight and get paid and won't care much about rankings and stuff though. I don't know. A move to Jackson Wink might make some sense, he'd learn to throw those oblique kicks with those long ass legs of his .

Last edited:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Seems like Kron Gracie could be signing with UFC.

gonna be interesting how he does with the Unified MMA Rules. The guy is such a guard-heavy fighter that makes me think he's more suited for Asian MMA rulesets. All i remember from his performance against Kawajiri was him baiting Kawajiri to stomp him and catching those stomps for easy sweeps.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I kinda think Overeem should retire after today's great performance. That's the best he's looked in a long time and there's a decent chance it won't happen again. Might as well leave on a small high. The dude is 38 now and between kick boxing, grappling and MMA he's got a ton of mileage on him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I kinda think Overeem should retire after today's great performance. That's the best he's looked in a long time and there's a decent chance it won't happen again. Might as well leave on a small high. The dude is 38 now and between kick boxing, grappling and MMA he's got a ton of mileage on him.

I think he won't quit if he feels he can earn another title fight before end of his career.

He's ranked #6 and just won. I think he'll be top 5 and if he fights again say vs Ngannou, Lewis or Blaydes and wins and he's looking at top 3 spot and maybe a title shot.

If he loses next fight though...he will have to work too hard to move back up.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Anybody else worried for Chuck Liddell tonight? He was so concussion prone his last few fights, any strike to the jawline seemed to rock him...even a jab. I don't think that sort of thing ever heals, no matter how long the layoff. Tito was never a devastating striker, but I can't help but think it wouldn't take much to scramble Chuck's brain yet again.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
That fight was ssssaaaadddd
The whole thing beginning to that terrible celebration was horrible

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Another hard KO for the Iceman. There's no turning that clock back, just stay retired Chuck . Let me remember you the way you used to be. Same for Tito really.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Wow the light heavyweight division is completely sick with Bivol Beterbiev Kovalev Stevenson Alvares Jack... Bivol against Beterbiev would be the ultimate fight, I would be willing to pay alot to watch this...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man that was embarrassing. Neither of these guys should be fighting...and I agree, Tito's celebration, you knocked out a 48 old man who's probably gets concussed after he farts. Chill out.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
What was Chuck thinking? I remember watching him training and be amazed at how he lost all speed and mobility, he's only 48 years old and i thought he was in his 50' easy. Tito looked like a legit UFC killer from the begining of the fight to the end, Chuck looked like a guy who could barely keep his balance walking to the octogon.

I guess he needed the money, because there's really no reason to go get brain dammage at his age.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What was Chuck thinking? I remember watching him training and be amazed at how he lost all speed and mobility, he's only 48 years old and i thought he was in his 50' easy. Tito looked like a legit UFC killer from the begining of the fight to the end, Chuck looked like a guy who could barely keep his balance walking to the octogon.

I guess he needed the money, because there's really no reason to go get brain dammage at his age.

When i think people paid to see that ... man i've seen better fights in a school yard ... what a sad showing. And yeah Ortiz celebration was ... let's just say ... not very respectful.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Oh boy!
Chuck Liddell was out of breath 3 minutes into the fight, mouth open, legs were crossing each other, while only going backward. He shouldn't have been fighting.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Chuck's hips are apparently so bad he'll need replacement surgery in the near future, which would explain why he looked damn near crippled last night . I just don't know how he even got licensed to fight.

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad