OT: General Travel Thread - Italy 2K19 has come and gone

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Pretty sure some of the original aquaducts are still functioning today

When you recreate ancient Rome...it's literally a modern city. It's a wall of buildings on each side of you, stories high. It's really really incredible. Think about traveling 5 days to Rome and seeing that in its heyday...there literally hadn't been anything like it. It'd be like an alien landscape. Unimaginable

I’m a huge nerd for Augustus and everything right before and right after his time as Emperor. The amount of €€€ that guy had is unbelievable.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This thread is making me look forward to being back in Italy in the not so distant future.

I will maybe be going to Venice/Verona/Padua/Brescia/Bergamo at some point in the next year or so (not all 5, but a few!). Never been to any of those places (or those regions of Italy) and have a close friend who is is from near Padua and has one side of her family in Venice and the other from up near the lakes.

But have Japan to see before that... and then letting my wallet recover for a bit after that!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m a huge nerd for Augustus and everything right before and right after his time as Emperor. The amount of €€€ that guy had is unbelievable.

It's actually incalculable. He was far and away the largest landowner in the Roman Empire. He could pay a large chunk of a huge army on his own. The state budget was essentially his budget. The guy owned Egypt and by extension everything it produced. It was his personal province.

Crassus gets tons of credit as the richest, but by the time Augustus was done he made Crassus look like a normie. We can make guesses at how rich Crassus would be today. There just isn't a comparison point for Augustus. You'd probably be looking at a trillionaire.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh geez @DancingPanther I just saw you're going to Venice. I have to go there before I die or before it's submerged. If you get to the Arsenal I have fun Arsenal facts too. Venice is a deeply underrated empire and an extremely fascinating political system; they had the single most stable government any state has ever had. I'd describe them as the prototype of the British Empire.

Take a dump on Enrico Dandolo while you're there please.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Awesome post @Beef Invictus

Also I fell in love with Berlin last year @Appleyard — had an unreal weekend as just a single mid 20s dude with his buddies. Would love to go back soon.

Went to a very good Finnish friend's wedding last year in Berlin. It was on Schwanenwerder, unbelievably beautiful place... though weirdly where Goebbels used to live. (was actually in Berlin last month too, though "mainly" for work!)

Amazing party, fantastic people... and the mix of Finnish and German culture makes me thankful I did not go blind from alcohol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Election Process for a Venetian Doge:

https://www.constitution.org/elec/venetian_selection_system.html

In the heyday of their republic, the Venetians selected their lifetime leader, the Doge, by a complex system involving lot-drawing. The system had developed through the Middle Ages, becoming ever more complex to avoid manipulation, before being codified in 1268. The procedure consisted of a series of ten ballots that alternated between sortition and election. All participants had to belong to the Great Council, which included several hundred members of the most prominent families. The process might be called fetura, for the Latin for breeding, the same method used in genetic or evolutionary algorithms. The steps were as follows (Dahl 1994, 14-16):
1. The ballottino, a boy chosen at random, draws thirty names by plucking balls out of an urn, thus setting the process in motion with a blind draw.
2. Those thirty are reduced to nine by a blind draw.
3. Those nine put forward forty names, each of which needs at least seven of the nine possible votes.
4. Those forty are reduced to twelve by a blind draw.
5. Those twelve put forward twenty-five names.
6. Those twenty-five are reduced to nine by a blind draw.
7. Those nine choose forty-five new names, each of which needs at least seven of the nine possible votes.
8. Those forty-five are reduced to eleven by a blind draw.
9. Those eleven choose forty-one, who must not have been included in any of the reduced groups that named candidates in earlier steps.
10. Those forty-one then choose the Doge.​
The Venetian system seems devised to make it impossible for any individual, family, or coterie to plant candidates or exercise undue influence. However convoluted the procedure, it supported a republican government that lasted 529 years, until 1797, when Venice was conquered by Napoleon.

Of course there was much ceremony involved; after the ballotino was chosen he was paraded around, blessed thoroughly in a service, then paraded to the Palazzo Ducale. After a Doge was selected, he was then presented to the gathered populace for approval. Once upon a time the acclamation mattered but by the time this system was codified it was just recognizing a done deal.

We should use this system. Vegas could have a field day with betting options.

Everyone here needs to go take a dump on Enrico Dandolo.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Day 14

Venice! Doge Palace, the Correr Museum, dinner, then a gondola.

EbRTJmK.jpg

The first room.

ikU0uk0.jpg

One of the biggest rooms in Europe, where the Senate would meet. Then, down to the prison cells, but not before crossing the Bridge of Sighs, where- through small spaces in the design of the window- the prisoner can glance at beautiful Venice before being locked away.

9TKZl0x.jpg

The prison cells were unsurprisingly, not very furnished...

Suddenly, in the next museum, a mummy

XCnZE16.jpg

Onto dinner! CUTTLEFISH. It looks like it came straight out of Satan's Kitchen, but it sure tasted good! I'm sure the color is from the ink?

y0qqobe.jpg

The waiter was proud of me. "ahhhh! A Venetian dish! Fantastico!" Lol

Hopped on a gondola as our day was sadly winding down

eJV9yRO.jpg

bG2wwhx.jpg

And trained back for Gelato and tomato pie. Passion fruit and coconut

vdj5yIv.jpg

nIS8Qhq.jpg

Tomorrow is our last day :(

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have to say sir I don't get this reference, but I did take a massive **** today

Enrico Dandolo was a doge. He led the 4th Crusade against Constantinople which the Eastern Roman Empire never recovered from. He is a dick and he should be pooped on.

His story is actually pretty badass though. Dude was ninety and blind (It is thought he was blinded by the Eastern Romans so this was a revenge trip) when he stormed the place.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Also those prison cells you saw in the Ducal Palace? That was the stuff of dread European legend. Venice transitioned from an elected monarchy to an oligarchy (They kept the insane voting procedure even though the Doge was ceremonial in time), and the Council of Ten was the real power. They used the city's immense wealth to influence events. We still don't fully appreciate the depth of their diplomatic influence and intrigue because the documents haven't been translated out of the Venetian dialect. Apparently, with a merchant oligarchy that comes with a highly evolved spy and diplomatic system (in a time when torture was on the regular), you get those prison cells. Where people were sent to be punished for lack of competency, or were abducted and taken for "examination."

Venice was always known for the grand display of the whole place and their lust for good parties and culture, but it was also a damned sinister state.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Day 15. The final day :(

The Palazzo Vecchio, the Bargello, Santa Maria Novella, and San Lorenzo

Palazzo Vecchio...another big fancy mansion. Ho hum. This time, the Medicis lived there- the premier family in Florentinean history. Something cool though is after one of the renovations, the rooms above the current bedchambers represented "the heavens" in juxtaposition with the occupant below. For example, the room dedicated to Jupiter, king of the Gods, is located directly over Cosimo de'Medici's room, who is attributed to be the Medici who jumpstarted the family's influence. Here's what I thought was the most impressive room:

LBarezJ.jpg

Also in this museum: Dante's deathmask

bZX3Dd9.jpg

Onto the Bargello, the most underrated museum in Italy. The original Mercury on Zephyr and an entire Donatello room with a few Michelangelos sprinkled in, among many Giambolognas. Highlights include Donatello's David, which might not actually be David. He's fully nude, has a sword, and a weird hat. Interesting.

ruTrTXp.jpg

Additionally, Brunelleschi's doors, which lost to Gheberti's for display on the Baptistry are housed here. One panel at least. Brunelleschi's (right) is much easier to understand with less "going on". It's interesting to compare the 2.

1bxp4AN.jpg

Onto the churches. Santa Maria Novella featured a very cool altar with stained glass

FTQxUPc.jpg

bJ1Xmx7.jpg

Finally, my second favorite Church (St Pete doesn't count) behind Santa Croce: San Lorenzo, the oldest church in Florence. Consecrated during the 4th century, this f***er is too cool for a facade

J4jMXtz.jpg

But is cool enough to house Donatello's final work: these pulpits of bronze

JelKck5.jpg

Interestingly, our friend Brunelleschi was commissioned by Cosimo de'Medici to build the original chapel, which Donatello decorated with doors and paintings. Yes paintings.

BuRJPte.jpg

Giovanni de'Medici and Wife are interred here in this chapel. Gio was the one who founded the Medici's first bank and set in motion a dynasty.

aGZhVZR.jpg

Cosimo de'Medici the Elder is also buried here, in front of the main alter

YXXbCyD.jpg

And just like that, it's over. Lunch was the Inferno, just for @landsbergfan.

pquR0Qm.jpg

We ate a fantastic dinner with my brother's study abroad program director (he was her only student this semester!) and had a hell of a time.

I was congratulated by our waiter after eating a full Italian meal, which isn't a challenge for me.

First meat + cheese. Second, tortella stuffed with pear and topped with almonds served with cream of leek. 3rd, pork and taters. Final wine count: 69 (nice) glasses in 16 days

YEt6XEO.jpg

j6Jy0q1.jpg

As with all vacations, it's bittersweet. Of course I want to stay here and never work again (I go back Monday lol) and of course I miss my friends, my gf, my bed, the piano, and my Sunday roller hockey league back home. And normal sports start times, not 2am ones. Alas, all things must end. Until next time, ciao Italia! I had a f***ing awesome time and met some great people on the way to lifelong memories.

Next, the gf wants to go to Aruba...in due time, friends. In the meantime, I'll let this thread title simmer for a day or 2, then change it to a general travel thread!

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Day 15. The final day :(

The Palazzo Vecchio, the Bargello, Santa Maria Novella, and San Lorenzo

Palazzo Vecchio...another big fancy mansion. Ho hum. This time, the Medicis lived there- the premier family in Florentinean history. Something cool though is after one of the renovations, the rooms above the current bedchambers represented "the heavens" in juxtaposition with the occupant below. For example, the room dedicated to Jupiter, king of the Gods, is located directly over Cosimo de'Medici's room, who is attributed to be the Medici who jumpstarted the family's influence. Here's what I thought was the most impressive room:

LBarezJ.jpg

Also in this museum: Dante's deathmask

bZX3Dd9.jpg

Onto the Bargello, the most underrated museum in Italy. The original Mercury on Zephyr and an entire Donatello room with a few Michelangelos sprinkled in, among many Giambolognas. Highlights include Donatello's David, which might not actually be David. He's fully nude, has a sword, and a weird hat. Interesting.

ruTrTXp.jpg

Additionally, Brunelleschi's doors, which lost to Gheberti's for display on the Baptistry are housed here. One panel at least. Brunelleschi's (right) is much easier to understand with less "going on". It's interesting to compare the 2.

1bxp4AN.jpg

Onto the churches. Santa Maria Novella featured a very cool altar with stained glass

FTQxUPc.jpg

bJ1Xmx7.jpg

Finally, my second favorite Church (St Pete doesn't count) behind Santa Croce: San Lorenzo, the oldest church in Florence. Consecrated during the 4th century, this ****er is too cool for a facade

J4jMXtz.jpg

But is cool enough to house Donatello's final work: these pulpits of bronze

JelKck5.jpg

Interestingly, our friend Brunelleschi was commissioned by Cosimo de'Medici to build the original chapel, which Donatello decorated with doors and paintings. Yes paintings.

BuRJPte.jpg

Giovanni de'Medici and Wife are interred here in this chapel. Gio was the one who founded the Medici's first bank and set in motion a dynasty.

aGZhVZR.jpg

Cosimo de'Medici the Elder is also buried here, in front of the main alter

YXXbCyD.jpg

And just like that, it's over. Lunch was the Inferno, just for @landsbergfan.

pquR0Qm.jpg

We ate a fantastic dinner with my brother's study abroad program director (he was her only student this semester!) and had a hell of a time.

I was congratulated by our waiter after eating a full Italian meal, which isn't a challenge for me.

First meat + cheese. Second, tortella stuffed with pear and topped with almonds served with cream of leek. 3rd, pork and taters. Final wine count: 69 (nice) glasses in 16 days

YEt6XEO.jpg

j6Jy0q1.jpg

As with all vacations, it's bittersweet. Of course I want to stay here and never work again (I go back Monday lol) and of course I miss my friends, my gf, my bed, the piano, and my Sunday roller hockey league back home. And normal sports start times, not 2am ones. Alas, all things must end. Until next time, ciao Italia! I had a ****ing awesome time and met some great people on the way to lifelong memories.

Next, the gf wants to go to Aruba...in due time, friends. In the meantime, I'll let this thread title simmer for a day or 2, then change it to a general travel thread!

Thanks for the vicarious vacation, mio amico. It was my 3rd favorite vicarious Italian vacation after 1) The Lizzie McGuire Movie (duh) and 2) Roman Holiday.

Let’s get more vacation talk going.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
To be clear, our itinerary for tomorrow is as follows:

Airbnb checkout at 10:30a
Train to Rome
Flight out at 6:30p Rome time
Return ~7p in Newark

So there maybe some bonus coverage tomorrow ;)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Thanks for the vicarious vacation, mio amico. It was my 3rd favorite vicarious Italian vacation after 1) The Lizzie McGuire Movie (duh) and 2) Roman Holiday.

Let’s get more vacation talk going.
Um, what about weekend at Bernie's?

Reactions: Chinatown88

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Well, back at home. Took off and landed on time, but only in New Jersey (Newark) would you sit on the runway AFTER LANDING ON TIME for 45 minutes because our gate was occupied, only to taxi to the gate and wait another 45 minutes because "there was stuff in the way"~ actual pilot quote. Baggage/customs, always slow, took an hour and a half, which is absurd. Welcome home!

And back to work today lol. Sheesh

Thanks for following along, you're all great. Continue the travel talk in here! Where have we all gone? Favorite vacations? Desired destinations?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, back at home. Took off and landed on time, but only in New Jersey (Newark) would you sit on the runway AFTER LANDING ON TIME for 45 minutes because our gate was occupied, only to taxi to the gate and wait another 45 minutes because "there was stuff in the way"~ actual pilot quote. Baggage/customs, always slow, took an hour and a half, which is absurd. Welcome home!

Thanks for following along, you're all great. Continue the travel talk in here! Where have we all gone? Favorite vacations? Desired destinations?

this happened to me when i flew out to minnesota for work a few weeks back. If it happens again tonight, you'll all know my face from the news. I get in way too late this evening to be randomly visiting gateways in Minneapolis.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Did you bring me any gelato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad