WC: General Talk '14 — Sweden

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
It will be good. WCs are always good and nowadays we have depth, which makes it interesting to see how the young guys perform. Looking forward to see what guys like Backlund, Zibanejad et al do for us.

Last edited:

Cilisi

Nov 4, 2011
Gothenburg Area
Leksand fan speaking. While I guess it would be flattering to see Ryno at the EHT, it has just never crossed my mind that he would be an option for the national team. He has absolutely performed beyond expectations this season, but I just don't know where he would be a fit for Tre Kronor. Better to give Hersley another shot in that case.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
I must admit, I haven't followed SHL much this year, so I'm basing this on stats, previous performance and what I've read.

When it comes to NHLers, I assume the Sedins will decline. They have had bad form, Henrik's been injured and they already have thier WC gold from last year.

Bäckström might return since he wants revenge from missing the gold medal game.

Tobias Enström seems to more or less have retired from the NT, since he has declined invites the last couple of years and didn't even want to go to the OG!

The rest of the available NHL players are not established enough to decline, IMO. Maybe Erik Karlsson, but he hasn't won anything with NT yet. Might be hungry for gold.

Goalies:
Jhonas Enroth
Robin Lehner
Linus Ullmark

Enroth and Lehner will battle it out for the number one spot, like Enroth and Markström last year

Erik Karlsson - Staffan Kronwall (C)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Henrik Tallinder
Mattias Ekholm - Patrik Herlsey
Mikael Wikstand

Kronwall will be the steady rock while Karlsson goes on his offensive adventures. Ekman-Larsson will get an offensive role with Tallinder taking care of the D. As far as I understand, Hersley have been on a goal scoring tear in the SHL, should earn him a place on the NT. Mikael Wikstand seems to have been performing quite well since coming to Frölunda, 10 pts in 16 games, impressive. It is either him or Klingberg for the 7th spot

Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Bäckström (A) - Patric Hörnqvist
Mikael Backlund - Elias Lindholm - Mika Zibanejad
Simon Hjalmarsson - William Karlsson - Pär Arlbrandt
Jimmie Ericsson (A) - Niklas Persson - Fredrik Pettersson
Oscar Möller

Keeping the Johansson - Bäckström pairing intact, think Hörnqvist might complement them nicely.

Second line is the young gun line, time for Lindholm and Zibanejad to prove themselves in the NT.

The Hjalmarsson/Arlbrandt duo is tearing up the SHL again this year, give them promising center W. Karlsson and will get scoring from three lines

Fourth line are defensively responsible veterans, will be used on the PK and when defending leads.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Leksand fan speaking. While I guess it would be flattering to see Ryno at the EHT, it has just never crossed my mind that he would be an option for the national team. He has absolutely performed beyond expectations this season, but I just don't know where he would be a fit for Tre Kronor. Better to give Hersley another shot in that case.

Leksand fan here aswell, and I really do believe Ryno could do it on the NT, he has stepped up his game over the whole ice, works hard defensively, a real threat offensively, good shot, if he could just use his size more id be happy. As for Hersley, I think he is pretty mediocre except in the offensive zone, but it would be fun to see both get the chance.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I must admit, I haven't followed SHL much this year, so I'm basing this on stats, previous performance and what I've read.

When it comes to NHLers, I assume the Sedins will decline. They have had bad form, Henrik's been injured and they already have thier WC gold from last year.

Bäckström might return since he wants revenge from missing the gold medal game.

Tobias Enström seems to more or less have retired from the NT, since he has declined invites the last couple of years and didn't even want to go to the OG!

The rest of the available NHL players are not established enough to decline, IMO. Maybe Erik Karlsson, but he hasn't won anything with NT yet. Might be hungry for gold.

Goalies:
Jhonas Enroth
Robin Lehner
Linus Ullmark

Enroth and Lehner will battle it out for the number one spot, like Enroth and Markström last year

Erik Karlsson - Staffan Kronwall (C)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Henrik Tallinder
Mattias Ekholm - Patrik Herlsey
Mikael Wikstand

Kronwall will be the steady rock while Karlsson goes on his offensive adventures. Ekman-Larsson will get an offensive role with Tallinder taking care of the D. As far as I understand, Hersley have been on a goal scoring tear in the SHL, should earn him a place on the NT. Mikael Wikstand seems to have been performing quite well since coming to Frölunda, 10 pts in 16 games, impressive. It is either him or Klingberg for the 7th spot

Marcus Johansson - Nicklas Bäckström (A) - Patric Hörnqvist
Mikael Backlund - Elias Lindholm - Mika Zibanejad
Simon Hjalmarsson - William Karlsson - Pär Arlbrandt
Jimmie Ericsson (A) - Niklas Persson - Fredrik Pettersson
Oscar Möller

Keeping the Johansson - Bäckström pairing intact, think Hörnqvist might complement them nicely.

Second line is the young gun line, time for Lindholm and Zibanejad to prove themselves in the NT.

The Hjalmarsson/Arlbrandt duo is tearing up the SHL again this year, give them promising center W. Karlsson and will get scoring from three lines

Fourth line are defensively responsible veterans, will be used on the PK and when defending leads.

joel lundqvist is much better than niklas persson.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Arlbrandt, Klasen and Omark?

They'll all get their chance in the next EHT for sure, although all of them lack size, and hasn't really shown that much in the NT. Especially Omark, who looked horrible last time he was on.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Pär Arlbrandt would be the shortest player to represent Tre Kronor at a major tournament for 20 years if he gets selected.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Arlbrandt, Klasen and Omark?

I would guess their chances depend on who gets available from NHL. They are all the kind of player who needs an offensive role with lots of ice time. If a lot of NHLers become available, there will be little room for them.

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
Goalies:

Jhonas Enroth
Robin Lehner
Henrik Karlsson

Defense:

Henrik Tallinder
Staffan Kronwall
Tobias Viklund
Erik Karlsson
Patrik Hersley
Niclas Andersen
Johan Fransson
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
John Klingberg

Forwards:

Patric Hornqvist
Niklas Persson (sorry TheFatOne, but I'm sure he'll be there)
Martin Thornberg
Mika Zibanejad
Niclas Bergfors
Simon Hjalmarsson
Linus Omark
Andreas Engqvist
Linus Klasen
Par Arlbrandt
David Ullstrom
Oscar Moller
Linus Videll
Tom Wandell
Joel Lundqvist

Not a lot of NHL forwards (most of them would be in the playoffs) but it can change throughout the tournament.

I created this roster with guys that were performing well on NT and on their respective leagues (SHL,NHL,KHL,NLA).

Say what you think about it.

Last edited:

Cilisi

Nov 4, 2011
Gothenburg Area
Leksand fan here aswell, and I really do believe Ryno could do it on the NT, he has stepped up his game over the whole ice, works hard defensively, a real threat offensively, good shot, if he could just use his size more id be happy. As for Hersley, I think he is pretty mediocre except in the offensive zone, but it would be fun to see both get the chance.

Fair enough. But again, I just don't know where Ryno would fit. What role do you see him having, and who is the guy he would beat out for that spot? Even with an all-Euro team, I am struggling to justify him over the other guys available.

Hersley on the other hand, playing on an offensively challenged team (and despite being injured for a couple of games) has still managed to set a new scoring record for SHL defensmen. Other parts of his game may not be as good, but that achievement is exceptional.

But hey, like you say, I agree it would be fun to see them both get the chance. At least in the EHT.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Fair enough. But again, I just don't know where Ryno would fit. What role do you see him having, and who is the guy he would beat out for that spot? Even with an all-Euro team, I am struggling to justify him over the other guys available.

Hersley on the other hand, playing on an offensively challenged team (and despite being injured for a couple of games) has still managed to set a new scoring record for SHL defensmen. Other parts of his game may not be as good, but that achievement is exceptional.

But hey, like you say, I agree it would be fun to see them both get the chance. At least in the EHT.
You're right. It all really comes down to how many NHLers come. I can see him get 3C if not many players from the NHL show.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Niklas Persson (sorry TheFatOne, but I'm sure he'll be there)

darthvadernooo.jpg

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Im pretty sure we'll see the legion of doom (Persson - Lundqvist - Ericsson) in Minsk. After all they did a pretty good job against Kovalchuk and Radulov in EHT.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Anybody know when the verdict for Bäckström is due? Will he lose the silvermedal? Will he get any suspension time/games from the IIHF?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im pretty sure we'll see the legion of doom (Persson - Lundqvist - Ericsson) in Minsk. After all they did a pretty good job against Kovalchuk and Radulov in EHT.

ericsson should play top 9.

i like this checkingline more: pettersson - lundqvist - ullström

ullström have been good in eht and has 11 points in 23 games with leva prag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->