Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love Dewar, and like Giroux. Dewar is always making smart plays, and even though he is small, has the speed to get him out of trouble.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dewar also hit a post on the PP. Always seems to be around the play.

Boldy looks good, and it seems obvious that Army has been told to give him lots of TOI. He is on the PP, usually with Addison. Boldy seems very calm and smart with the puck, especially in the Ozone below the Red line.

ROR looks like a decent defensive Dman at this point. Good size, decent strength, tends to make good plays. Nothing exciting, but I think we can use guys like him in years to come. He is still very young.

Chaffee might be a guy who can play the bottom six in a year or two. Decent size, decent skating, plays hard, not bad with the puck.

Baribeau looked good last time I saw him. Very big. Tonight he looks shakey.

Reactions: BagHead

P10p

May 15, 2012
Dewar also hit a post on the PP. Always seems to be around the play.

Boldy looks good, and it seems obvious that Army has been told to give him lots of TOI. He is on the PP, usually with Addison. Boldy seems very calm and smart with the puck, especially in the Ozone below the Red line.

ROR looks like a decent defensive Dman at this point. Good size, decent strength, tends to make good plays. Nothing exciting, but I think we can use guys like him in years to come. He is still very young.

Chaffee might be a guy who can play the bottom six in a year or two. Decent size, decent skating, plays hard, not bad with the puck.

Baribeau looked good last time I saw him. Very big. Tonight he looks shakey.

I agree on everything, very pleasantly surprised by chaffee. Only thing I would say is the ROR has looked not particularly strong. Still has boy strength imo and could use some time. He does make smart plays though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Iowa won 4-1, so Baribeau wasn't so bad. Bitten and Shaw both with 1g, 1a. Boldy shut out of scoring, but made a couple of nice plays. He has an understated, efficient game.

The players that I think could help the Wild in the near future are;

- Addison vg with the puck. I keep looking for defensive lapses, but haven't seen any big ones, but it's obvious that his forte is playing with the puck. No idea if he can take the pounding of the NHL, but he is fine in the AHL.

- Boldy...Has a high offensive IQ and good puck skills. Don't know how he will handle the speed and strength of the NHL, but I think it would be wise to give him a taste this year so he knows what he's in for, and trains accordingly over the summer.

- Dewar. High IQ, quick, excellent edges, shifty. Small, but not tiny. Good shot and passing, and also seems to be able to handle defensive duties of a C. Won a lot of FO's when I was watching. Reminds me of the smaller C types that TBL seem to produce year after year. Given our team needs, we've got to give this guy every chance to succeed.

All three of these guys seem to be smart players.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree on everything, very pleasantly surprised by chaffee. Only thing I would say is the ROR has looked not particularly strong. Still has boy strength imo and could use some time. He does make smart plays though.
Yes! Liked ROR's mistake free game in general, but he will need a year or two. Chaffee...not a great IQ, and I wasn't sure about his skating, then he blew around a Dman on the outside. Maybe a power forward type?

Belpedio looks solid, and probably could be a 6/7D on many NHL teams, but he doesn't stick out with any one thing. Not tall, but strong.

Shaw is like a slightly lesser version of Dewar. Good player. Don't know if he can make it in the NHL.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Shaw is like a slightly lesser version of Dewar. Good player. Don't know if he can make it in the NHL.

Its too bad he had the injuries he did to set him back, I think he was going to be a really good player.. plus he plays with an edge.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What about Giroux? His numbers look decent. Can he be an NHL center?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What about Giroux? His numbers look decent. Can he be an NHL center?
Well, he's still young, so he can be anything. Right now he is playing on Dewar's wing. He, Dewar, and Shaw seem to be cut from the same cloth. Vertically challenged, smart, some skill. Destined to be very good AHL players at the least. I think his lack of size, strength, and speed will make him a longshot to be a NHL'er.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
i thought ROR was our pick and marat khusnutdinov pick was part of kunin trade?
You are right. I am thinking Daemon Hunt, not ROR.

Wild traded Kunin and pick 101 to Predators for pick 37 and 70, plus Bonino. Wild drafted Marat at 37, then packaged 70 with 132 for Hunt at 65.

Full trade is Kunin, 101, and 132 for Marat, Hunt, and Bonino.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
ROR is still 18 for another month
Yeah, over a year younger than Boldy, and two years younger than Addison. I think he will end up being pretty strong on the ice, but there is a big difference in strength between an 18 yo and even a 2o yo. I would bet that a 20yo ROR would kick 18yo ROR's ass pretty easily.

Reactions: DANOZ28 and TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Guerin was on KFan this morning. Said he hasn't been down to Iowa even once this year. Must be too busy doing nothing in St. Paul?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Guerin was on KFan this morning. Said he hasn't been down to Iowa even once this year. Must be too busy doing nothing in St. Paul?

Not terribly surprising to me. In a given normal season, i'd be surprised if the Wild's GM made more than a trip or two to the minor league affiliate. Wouldn't be surprised if it was common they don't make any trips.

Kurver's is delegated the responsibility of GMing the Iowa Wild. I'm sure he leans on him.

Not to mention the wierd schedule this year, Iowa's only home games were either during our Covid episode during which i'm sure he had plenty to due coordinating with the league, or games where we were also home which would seemingly take priority.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not terribly surprising to me. In a given normal season, i'd be surprised if the Wild's GM made more than a trip or two to the minor league affiliate. Wouldn't be surprised if it was common they don't make any trips.

Kurver's is delegated the responsibility of GMing the Iowa Wild. I'm sure he leans on him.

Not to mention the wierd schedule this year, Iowa's only home games were either during our Covid episode during which i'm sure he had plenty to due coordinating with the league, or games where we were also home which would seemingly take priority.
He mentioned it was partly because of Covid protocols. I think that they want to keep the two teams separate as much as possible, hence the taxi squad. Guerin mentioned being impressed by;
-Dewar
- Boldy
- Addison

I think he was just reading my posts here.:laugh:

Swaney should be playing in Iowa tonight, I think.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy also hit post in the 2nd. He isn't flashy like Fiala or Kap, but he has some pretty slick hands, a good shot, and nice vision. He will need to get stronger to be effective in the NHL, and needs to work on his balance.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or, it's a comment from someone who has watched every one of his AHL games. I don't say the same about Dewar, or Bartkowski, or even Addison. Boldy gets knocked down and simply falls down at the AHL level more than you like to see. That problem will likely be far worse at the NHL level if he is called up.

Since you seem to disagree what on your thoughts based on your recent viewings of Boldy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad