Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
the nhl has had plenty of goal scorers who were avg skaters, kessel & vanek off the top.
I think we should just continue giving everyone a shot. There’s no limit on the amount of prospects a team can have. Right?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
i thought goal scoring prospects were important on a goal starved team but what do i know.
We were 9th in GF/GP last year. Not goal starved, unless you think TBL are also goal starved. We tied them.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
the nhl has had plenty of goal scorers who were avg skaters, kessel & vanek off the top.
The game has changed since Vanek & Kessel were drafted. The game is much faster now than it was 10 years ago. Kessel & Vanek weren't elite skaters but their skillset just fit right into the league that time. Skating has become far more important and especially Rossi has to do work in that area to fit into the league. All the other skills (Hockey IQ, dedication, Passing, shooting, etc) are already there.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Team Canada summer showcase: U18 standouts and World Junior roster projection

Minnesota Wild

LHD Carson Lambos: Lambos was excellent. He was confident and poised with the puck on his stick, regularly beating the first layer of pressure and scoring from the left-wing circle in the opener.
I spoke to Lambos on the phone this week to get an update on his health. He still isn’t quite ready to talk about the medical condition he had and the procedure he underwent to correct it, but he was in good spirits and happy to be back in his element.
“Hopefully sometime in the near future but just not yet,” he said. “The procedure was successful and I’m back to 100 percent and fully cleared so I don’t have to really worry about it anymore. It has been really good for me and I can get back to work with no excuses.”

LHD Ryan O’Rourke: O’Rourke was a thorn in the side of opposing players all week and smiling every step of the way, so about on brand.

EDIT: FYI, here is his roster projection for Team Canada

Perfetti Byfield Jarvis
Neighbours Johnson Guenther
Lapierre Wright Sourdif
L'Heureux McTavish Wisdom

Power Drysdale
Guhle Cormier
O'Rourke Clarke

Cossa
Garand​

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Team Canada summer showcase: U18 standouts and World Junior roster projection

EDIT: FYI, here is his roster projection for Team Canada

Perfetti Byfield Jarvis
Neighbours Johnson Guenther
Lapierre Wright Sourdif
L'Heureux McTavish Wisdom

Power Drysdale
Guhle Cormier
O'Rourke Clarke

Cossa
Garand​
Thanks for posting, he has O’Rourke pencilled in for the bottom pairing as well, seems like it may be a battle between him and Lambos for that spot, though ROR probably has the advantage by age and better play style for the role.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
The game looks to be getting noticeably faster. I really wonder how effective an average skater with elite skills can be going forward. Again, average skater is relative and several posters here have already provided really good examples of players who were considered "average" and either the scouting reports were off and/or they really improved.

And Vanek was always a bit of an odd duck....he didn't really ever look the part on the ice and then, bam...another goal. He just simply got it done.

ETA: nice update above, MuckOG. Thanks!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks for posting, he has O’Rourke pencilled in for the bottom pairing as well, seems like it may be a battle between him and Lambos for that spot, though ROR probably has the advantage by age and better play style for the role.
If you look at the pairs, each one has more of a SAH Dman, and one PMD. Clarke would be the PMD. My understanding of Lambos is that while he is a two way guy, he would want more of the puck that ROR, and might not augment Clarke's style of play.

ROR also had the advantage of playing a decent amount of hockey last year in the AHL, compared to Lambos's very short, injury plagued season. Maybe Lambos will be the 7D.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
If you look at the pairs, each one has more of a SAH Dman, and one PMD. Clarke would be the PMD. My understanding of Lambos is that while he is a two way guy, he would want more of the puck that ROR, and might not augment Clarke's style of play.

ROR also had the advantage of playing a decent amount of hockey last year in the AHL, compared to Lambos's very short, injury plagued season. Maybe Lambos will be the 7D.
If Hockey Canada was building the team based off pure skill and ability, Guhle would not be on that roster, among a few others. As far as Guhle and Cormier go...

A) Lambos is a better player
B) For as little as Lambos did play last year, Guhle played even less.

The issue is that Hockey Canada is run by a bunch of morons and has been for a couple decades now. Which is why we'll likely see Connor Bedard, Mavrik Bourque, Carson Lambos, and Corson Ceulemans left off their WJC roster.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Now that I look at Wheeler's projected lineup closer, it's unlikely Drysdale is on that roster anyways. I don't see Anaheim letting him go when he's already eating big minutes for the Ducks. That opens up a defensive spot right there.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Wild Prospect excerpts from this NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking – The Athletic

13. Matthew Boldy, LW, 20 (Minnesota Wild — 12th overall, 2019)
I’ve stuck my neck out for Boldy over the years, even when he struggled through the first half of his freshman year with the Eagles. He’s an incredibly intelligent operator on the ice who understands where to be with and without the puck, when to take a risk and when to make a smart play, and how to support and use his linemates in all three zones. But he’s also a supremely gifted puck handler who can do things in tight to his body that few 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 players can. And while he’s not the quickest player from a standstill, his skating has some sneaky elements to it that help him manipulate opponents to create spacing for himself. He’s also going to have real defensive value because of his size, length, strength along the wall and overall intuition around the sheet.

14. Marco Rossi, C, 19 (Minnesota Wild — 9th overall, 2020)
If Rossi shows us that he’s still Rossi this fall, which I fully expect he will, he’s a better prospect than Boldy. But they’re close enough in terms of upside that I gave Boldy the slight edge here given everything that has gone on with Rossi’s development, which in effect kept him out of game action for a year and a half. Rossi will play for Austria in their Olympic qualifications over the next couple of weeks, which is big for him and something he wanted to get under his belt before Wild camp. Those games follow a five-week training camp that his camp set up for him with skills coaches, goalies and some competition in Austria this summer. According to his dad, Michael, he’s looking stronger than he did a year ago. “He looks very powerful, the pitbull.” Rossi looked like a legitimate top-flight two-way center prospect with a strong center of gravity, slick skill in traffic, playmaking acumen and a superb defensive game that would allow him to penalty kill and take late draws before the Wild drafted him ninth overall. I’m sure they’ll ease him back in before letting him run with it now, but I’d bet on the destination being the same.

49. Calen Addison, RHD, 21 (Minnesota Wild — 53rd overall, 2018)
I’ve been pretty bullish on Addison over the years and that’s still true today. I’m a huge believer in him. He’s a beautiful lateral skater on his edges across the line or under pressure. I love his aggressiveness with (and frankly without) the puck. He wants to slide off the line and use his shot or beat the first guy off the point and riffle a pass to a teammate in a dangerous spot. He has developed some needed power and strength into his compact frame. And he has learned when to play a little more passively defensively, relying on his stick and feet more instead of always trying to overcompensate for his size by really pushing and leaning on guys along the boards (where he’s often not going to win those battles). He’s never going to be a stalwart defensively, but he’s got legitimate offensive flair and I like the way the rest of his tools work around his skill game enough to project him as a second-pairing/PP guy in the prime of his career.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild Prospect excerpts from this NHL top 50 prospects, 2021 edition: Byfield, Caufield and Power headline Wheeler’s drafted skaters ranking – The Athletic

13. Matthew Boldy, LW, 20 (Minnesota Wild — 12th overall, 2019)
I’ve stuck my neck out for Boldy over the years, even when he struggled through the first half of his freshman year with the Eagles. He’s an incredibly intelligent operator on the ice who understands where to be with and without the puck, when to take a risk and when to make a smart play, and how to support and use his linemates in all three zones. But he’s also a supremely gifted puck handler who can do things in tight to his body that few 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 players can. And while he’s not the quickest player from a standstill, his skating has some sneaky elements to it that help him manipulate opponents to create spacing for himself. He’s also going to have real defensive value because of his size, length, strength along the wall and overall intuition around the sheet.

14. Marco Rossi, C, 19 (Minnesota Wild — 9th overall, 2020)
If Rossi shows us that he’s still Rossi this fall, which I fully expect he will, he’s a better prospect than Boldy. But they’re close enough in terms of upside that I gave Boldy the slight edge here given everything that has gone on with Rossi’s development, which in effect kept him out of game action for a year and a half. Rossi will play for Austria in their Olympic qualifications over the next couple of weeks, which is big for him and something he wanted to get under his belt before Wild camp. Those games follow a five-week training camp that his camp set up for him with skills coaches, goalies and some competition in Austria this summer. According to his dad, Michael, he’s looking stronger than he did a year ago. “He looks very powerful, the pitbull.” Rossi looked like a legitimate top-flight two-way center prospect with a strong center of gravity, slick skill in traffic, playmaking acumen and a superb defensive game that would allow him to penalty kill and take late draws before the Wild drafted him ninth overall. I’m sure they’ll ease him back in before letting him run with it now, but I’d bet on the destination being the same.

49. Calen Addison, RHD, 21 (Minnesota Wild — 53rd overall, 2018)
I’ve been pretty bullish on Addison over the years and that’s still true today. I’m a huge believer in him. He’s a beautiful lateral skater on his edges across the line or under pressure. I love his aggressiveness with (and frankly without) the puck. He wants to slide off the line and use his shot or beat the first guy off the point and riffle a pass to a teammate in a dangerous spot. He has developed some needed power and strength into his compact frame. And he has learned when to play a little more passively defensively, relying on his stick and feet more instead of always trying to overcompensate for his size by really pushing and leaning on guys along the boards (where he’s often not going to win those battles). He’s never going to be a stalwart defensively, but he’s got legitimate offensive flair and I like the way the rest of his tools work around his skill game enough to project him as a second-pairing/PP guy in the prime of his career.
Of natural NHL centers, only Byfield and Zegras (and Newhook) are ranked above Rossi.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events