Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2019-20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
In the last 3 years, the leading goal scorers in the AHL had 34 in 76, 33 in 63 and 33 in 73, respectively. Mayhew currently has 35 in 42.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know it probably wouldn't translate to the NHL, but how do we not figure out a way to at least see for sure?
Assuming they're out of it I guess they could call him up in late March to give him a few games on a scoring line, even if it's just as a nod to the season he's had.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Menell #2 in the league in points-per-game by defensemen as well. He should absolutely have the inside track to the #3 RD and 2nd PP unit QB spots next year. I think he and Soucy were partners last year too, so there should be some chemistry there.

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I know it probably wouldn't translate to the NHL, but how do we not figure out a way to at least see for sure?
We do have an open roster spot, and it's not like Zucker is playing so great he can't be demoted to the 4th line... scratch Donato, see what happens... if you want to see.

I'm not going to pine for it to happen, because the odds are it doesn't translate, but it can be done if you need the look to be sure.

Reactions: P10p

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
At some point, you have to give them a chance, and not just a game or two, to see what they can do up here on a regular shift. Sturm is the type that can play tough minutes, but Anas and Mayhew need to be playing middle six minutes.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
At some point, you have to give them a chance, and not just a game or two, to see what they can do up here on a regular shift. Sturm is the type that can play tough minutes, but Anas and Mayhew need to be playing middle six minutes.
Depends. If they are a negative impact, you can't keep banging your head against the wall to give them a chance when you're still actively trying to make the playoffs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oh yeah, they've got to earn it....but they kind of have. I mean, what more do they have to do in the AHL?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Oh yeah, they've got to earn it....but they kind of have. I mean, what more do they have to do in the AHL?
They have earned a look, nothing more. Their play... however short it could end up being would depend on them not being a negative impact.

They haven't earned a multi game look until they can show they don't hurt in a single game in the first place.

Last time Mayhew couldn't make it through a single game on the 2nd line... that was on him not being good enough then.

I don't have any particular reason why now would be different since it just looked like he didn't really have the skill to pull it off in the first place.

He continued to look rather meh on the 4th line in sheltered minutes. Playing in the top 6 against higher quality players isn't going to make him look any better if he struggled in sheltered minutes against bottom quality players.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
To expect a player to look great in one or two games is simply not realistic. Foligno took forever to mesh with the team. Zuccarello has taken a while. You could argue that Granlund never has with NSH. Adjusting to the NHL is a very real thing. Everything is faster, stronger, smarter, and more skilled.

You only bring those players up if you think that they can play in the NHL, AND that there is room for them on our club. I don't know if they are good enough, but I do know that they are tearing it up in the AHL, and have been all year(and in some cases, longer). At some point you have to give them a shot, but a decent shot, if you can free up some room.

Reactions: P10p

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To expect a player to look great in one or two games is simply not realistic. Foligno took forever to mesh with the team. Zuccarello has taken a while. You could argue that Granlund never has with NSH. Adjusting to the NHL is a very real thing. Everything is faster, stronger, smarter, and more skilled.

You only bring those players up if you think that they can play in the NHL, AND that there is room for them on our club. I don't know if they are good enough, but I do know that they are tearing it up in the AHL, and have been all year(and in some cases, longer). At some point you have to give them a shot, but a decent shot, if you can free up some room.
You don't free up room for them, they need to TAKE the position from someone else.

These aren't prospects like Kaprizov, coming in with high talent and pedigree. They're players of marginal skill and very low likelyhood of NHL success.

You don't gift players like that anything, they need to steal it away from someone else. They need to do what Soucy did to Seeler.

P10p

May 15, 2012
You don't free up room for them, they need to TAKE the position from someone else.

These aren't prospects like Kaprizov, coming in with high talent and pedigree. They're players of marginal skill and very low likelyhood of NHL success.

You don't gift players like that anything, they need to steal it away from someone else. They need to do what Soucy did to Seeler.

Mayhew and Ana's absolutely should be given a shot to prove it.and Mayhew was barely given a sniff in his call up earlier. You cant use that as some sort of measuring stick.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t really put that much stock into if or where Anas and Mayhew deserve an NHL shot. It’s not like they’re young guys that have been knocking on the door for a couple years. 26 and 27 and up until this year they’ve been pretty much AHL journeymen at best.

Maybe someone will put some value on them at the deadline like Kloos last year, if not, oh well. Their contracts will run out (Anas this summer, Mayhew next) and they can go play in the AHL elsewhere.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe Pittsburgh wants to try Mayhew out in the NHL and we can pry a slightly better prospect from them because of it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don’t really put that much stock into if or where Anas and Mayhew deserve an NHL shot. It’s not like they’re young guys that have been knocking on the door for a couple years. 26 and 27 and up until this year they’ve been pretty much AHL journeymen at best.

Maybe someone will put some value on them at the deadline like Kloos last year, if not, oh well. Their contracts will run out (Anas this summer, Mayhew next) and they can go play in the AHL elsewhere.

Do just three seasons in the AHL qualify someone as a "journeyman"?

In addition to Mayhew, I think Mennel needs a long look. Let him take Pateryn's spot.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do just three seasons in the AHL qualify someone as a "journeyman"?

Talking about their level of play. I don’t think this is some new norm, I think this is an aberration for both of them, and I don’t think they’ll ever be full time NHLers anywhere.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Talking about their level of play. I don’t think this is some new norm, I think this is an aberration for both of them, and I don’t think they’ll ever be full time NHLers anywhere.

Maybe, but we'll never know for sure unless they get a chance. Mayhew's been producing in Iowa basically since he signed out of college.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, Kaprizov gets gifted a spot( and is being basically penciled into,the top line by some of you), and would never accept a posting to the AHL, yet Mayhew, Mennell, and Anas have to shine in one or two games or get sent back down?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So, Kaprizov gets gifted a spot( and is being basically penciled into,the top line by some of you), and would never accept a posting to the AHL, yet Mayhew, Mennell, and Anas have to shine in one or two games or get sent back down?

If you can’t figure out the difference between Kaprizov and Mayhew/Anas... hoo boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad